Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    The Scotts lawn builder with weed kill seems no good though, had no effect on weeds in a lawn i trialled it on last spring.
    I dont know if its the same, but scotts detoc III (l think thats what is called) which has the weed killer in it, work great, killed 90%

Mt dad has Sir Walter Bufalo but it seemes to die this time of the year and grows back in a month or two. Is there a fertiliser for this?
    Recently Ive used Sulpha amonia and it works great on other lawns. I used it on my lawn 3 weeks ago and now Im mowing it once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Mt dad has Sir Walter Bufalo but it seemes to die this time of the year and grows back in a month or two. Is there a fertiliser for this?
    Recently Ive used Sulpha amonia and it works great on other lawns. I used it on my lawn 3 weeks ago and now Im mowing it once a week.
    Imoww I wouldn't keep using sulphate of ammonia as your only fertiliser. It has a very high nitrogen content and is very acidic which if continually used in the long run will be bad for the ph of the lawn. You should use a balanced N:P:K ratio fertiliser. As a lot of the guys have mentioned on here Scotts lawnbuilder is good.

Thanks Lenny.
    I didnt know that. I knew sulphate would be a hazzard if used extensively due to the burning. Ive been using Scotts lawn builder for at least a year but nothing really happened to the lawn. Would you know if the sulphate is good to kick start a lawn in a shadded area?

Very Helpful Member

imoww buffalo goes dormant over winter as it is a warm season grass so there isn't a fertilizer to green it up only sunlight and warmth
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

good call ian ive got sir walter in my backyard and it gets full shade from my patio in winter and doesnt get mowed all winter but come summer time it will fill in fully as the suns higher so it gets some sun and will need cutting weekly some times every 5 days. ive had customers with the same issue and i just tell them thats the way it is look after it during summer and it might be a little better next winter but proberly not

Hi Imow,

Yes sulphate ammonia is a good kick starter for all lawns, just be aware not to put it on and leave it. It will burn the grass. Best way with all fertilsers for lawns is to water the lawn the day before then fertilse and water the fertliser in, even with the no water fertilisers they just sit there until it rains or heavy dew to water it in.
    I use a slow release fertiliser with a balanced N.P.K for my lawns, I only have to fertilise once every 8 to 10 weeks.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHaven View Post
    good call ian ive got sir walter in my backyard and it gets full shade from my patio in winter and doesnt get mowed all winter but come summer time it will fill in fully as the suns higher so it gets some sun and will need cutting weekly some times every 5 days. ive had customers with the same issue and i just tell them thats the way it is look after it during summer and it might be a little better next winter but proberly not
    i tell my client buffalo and kikuyu will probably look very ordinary in winter when you will spend most of your time inside but look great in summer even during drought and this is when you are outside
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Hi Imow,

Yes sulphate ammonia is a good kick starter for all lawns, just be aware not to put it on and leave it. It will burn the grass. Best way with all fertilsers for lawns is to water the lawn the day before then fertilse and water the fertliser in, even with the no water fertilisers they just sit there until it rains or heavy dew to water it in.
    I use a slow release fertiliser with a balanced N.P.K for my lawns, I only have to fertilise once every 8 to 10 weeks.
    Hi David.
    Yeah... I watered the lawn just before the sulpha was put on the lawn. Then gave it a good watering after that. Then it rained for the next 4days.... I woudlnt put sulpha down without watering...

Does anyone know of a good weed and feed that doesnt need any watering in. Scotts regular is great as a straight fert but what about a weed and feed???

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Does anyone know of a good weed and feed that doesnt need any watering in. Scotts regular is great as a straight fert but what about a weed and feed???
    none that i am aware of
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

There is none on the market because you need the water to active the herbicide, Scotts is the best does not have to be watered in straight away but must be watered in within 24hrs.

I just use no 17 fertiliser here. Water lawns first, spread fertiliser as per instructions then water heavily....even better wait for a rainy day to do it. After a couple of weeks if the weeds come up i will spray them....weed killer is much more effective if the weeds are actively growing as it is absorbed through the leaves.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    There is none on the market because you need the water to active the herbicide, Scotts is the best does not have to be watered in straight away but must be watered in within 24hrs.
    Unless l was told/readed wrong the Decot 111 (scotts brand), it can't be watered for 24hrs

I could be wrong

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TassieXJ View Post
    Unless l was told/readed wrong the Decot 111 (scotts brand), it can't be watered for 24hrs

I could be wrong
    I think that is wrong.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast