Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Scott's Lawn Builder seems expensive for the pack sizes the biggest being only 8kgs.
    Is anyone using good old Crop King 88 or Dynamic Lifter Turf Blend? I've been thinking of giving it a go (the DL that is).

There are 20 kg bags available. I paid $80 recently. Plus the amount required is less than others, so less bulk. Spread rate is 1.6kg per 100sqm. Since my first post I've used Scotts several times. I am happy with the results and I'm using a wheeled spreader it is very fast in application. I have also bought the 4kg Lawn build with weeder. Bunnings price $33 while Big W varies $33 to $38. I have recently seen a very weed infested lawn look respectable after using it. Not having to water in straight away also saves time. Plus you even apply it after you mow and then get the customer or the weather to water it in a few days later.[ no worries of lawn burn] This saves making 2 visits. In January I'll be trying the Lawn Build with lawn grub killer.

Regards Peter

Has anyone used seasol for lush green lawns? If so, is it any good to bring lawns back to life? Or is Scotts lawn builder the still the best?

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Has anyone used seasol for lush green lawns? If so, is it any good to bring lawns back to life? Or is Scotts lawn builder the still the best?
    Ive used seasol on gardens seem to be alright but i would just stick to scotts on grass if you want to spend time watering in mixture of blood and bone and rooster booster makes them go nuts.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Seasol is an Instant type of fertilizer and more of a tonic.Although it gets to the roots quickly for almost instant greeness as it is high in nitrogen and can be taken up easily by the root system the down side is it absorbs through the soil quickly and has no real lasting effect.

Scotts,Shirleys ,Buffalo Booster etc are designed for longer lasting feeding however its best to water it in even if its not neccessary as this will get the process started more quickly and get the grass greener sooner..

Seasol isnt actually a fertiliser, more of a tonic. You have to use it with a fertiliser or it wont really do much. It has very little NPK. It is good for plants that are stressed but they need fertiliser to maintain healthy growth once they have recovered. I use Scotts Lawn builder and buy it in big packets from the wholesale nurseries where it is a good price.

Talking Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Seasol isnt actually a fertiliser, more of a tonic. You have to use it with a fertiliser or it wont really do much. It has very little NPK. It is good for plants that are stressed but they need fertiliser to maintain healthy growth once they have recovered. I use Scotts Lawn builder and buy it in big packets from the wholesale nurseries where it is a good price.
    Seasol is high in Nitrogen..It is a good product for its intended use and does not have to be mixed with other fertilizers to get good results..But i agree with my first sentance or was that yours??

Quote Originally Posted by Wattle GC View Post
    Seasol is high in Nitrogen..It is a good product for its intended use and does not have to be mixed with other fertilizers to get good results..But i agree with my first sentance or was that yours??
    http://www.seasol.com.au/images/stor...l_1_7_2007.pdf

I think you'll find its the Iron that will green the grass up for the short term if you use seasol on it. 0.1N is very low, Scotts lawn Builder has 21.6 Nitrogen, which is why Seasol should be used in conjunction with fertilisers rather than just on its own as it is really just a tonic. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just saying...

Very Helpful Member

wattle you may be confusing seasol with seasol powerfeed which has 12-14% nitrogen

i believe seasol is also supposed to be helpful in breaking down thatch
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Just an update guys. That Scott's Lawn Builder is amazing... I returned to a fortnightly client yesterday to find their lawns had gone wild since i put the stuff down... Their Buffalo grass was going brown. Now a dark green and thick grass...

Just an update guys. That Scott's Lawn Builder is amazing... I returned to a fortnightly client yesterday to find their lawns had gone wild since i put the stuff down... Their Buffalo grass was going brown. Now a dark green and thick grass...
    How yeah its good stuff you defenantly dont want to put it out in summer when the rains are there as you will be mowing every second day.

Used Incitec Pivot on a buffalo lawn 4 weeks ago. Very high in nitrogen, the lawn is now so thick and lush. Highly recommend this fertiliser.
    It's a granule product, had to water it in very thoroughly and the client had to lightly water it the next 5 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Used Incitec Pivot on a buffalo lawn 4 weeks ago. Very high in nitrogen, the lawn is now so thick and lush. Highly recommend this fertiliser.
    It's a granule product, had to water it in very thoroughly and the client had to lightly water it the next 5 days.
    Not good for the worms though it burns them and no worms means you have to airate and fertilize more yourself.

I just got a price on 20kgs of Scotts from their Sth Brissie Distributor $102.00 inc gst and they would have to get it in. Better off finding a good price on 3 x 8kg bags
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    I just got a price on 20kgs of Scotts from their Sth Brissie Distributor $102.00 inc gst and they would have to get it in. Better off finding a good price on 3 x 8kg bags
    I got a 20kg bag from Plantmark for $71 I think. There is a Plantmark up your way too at Merrimac? Not sure how far that is from you though!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast