Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

My dad has been putting seasol on his sir walter
    Lawn every month and at the moment his
    Lawn is still dark green.
    Buffalo is supposed to look like
    Its dying this time of the year???
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Since the drought has broken this is the first time I have had lawn in the backyard in 7 years! Been giving it Seasol every fortnight and even a dose of Powerfeed 4 weeks ago. Mowing it once a week as it is still growing at least 3/4" in that time. Its a mixed breed of fescue, palmetto, and whatever else the put into the Brunnings Aussie lawn bags. Figured grass was was better than weeds but come the end of August it will be redone with Kike......we have 2 Shephards that turn the backyard into what looks like the the local footy team have been training when its wet.
    Hose on Seasol is available from Bunnings $72 for 10L concentrate. that will cover 2 square Kilometres. I have added Seasol to those few regulars that I have....Costs about $4 an application but should ensure that I have work over the summer period. Free to those that "Like" my Facebook page but for others it is a $15 add on.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I am now starting to sell aeration, fertilise and topsoil lawns to my clients for mid September. I have nearly booked a weeks work with this service. I have booked the local aerator for the time I need it and I am also going to service my lawn while I am at it. Just a good money earner for the early season. I will put out a slow release fertiliser which will last 10 weeks so this should ensure me weekly mows for a while until the fertiliser runs out then it's time to sell another fertilise and a light dusting to fill any bumps and divots you may have missed when carrying out the intial topsoil. Use either white sand or a topsoil mix. Some people say to use river sand but I find that it does not rub into the grass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I am now starting to sell aeration, fertilise and topsoil lawns to my clients for mid September. I have nearly booked a weeks work with this service. I have booked the local aerator for the time I need it and I am also going to service my lawn while I am at it. Just a good money earner for the early season. I will put out a slow release fertiliser which will last 10 weeks so this should ensure me weekly mows for a while until the fertiliser runs out then it's time to sell another fertilise and a light dusting to fill any bumps and divots you may have missed when carrying out the intial topsoil. Use either white sand or a topsoil mix. Some people say to use river sand but I find that it does not rub into the grass as well.
    Good stuff David,I was only think about this today whilst working out a 12 mth maintenance plan for a new client.
    I had some success last spring with fert applications without really pushing it,time to give it a good push I think.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Hi David

How are you aerating? do you have a special fork or machine ? Or are you using a pitch fork?

also what slow release fertiliser are you using ?

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

I use a petrol powered aerator hired form local hire shop. This lifts a small core out of the lawn and leaves it on the lawn. This will do most areas, you will need ramps to get up steps, if not you will have to use garden fork. I use Barmac Links Maintenance slow release NPK 12:1:12 but Scotts slow release is good. I aerate the lawn and then run my catcher mower over area to pick up the cores. I then spread Gypsum ( for calcium ) and slow release fertilser, I then top soil and rub it in and then I water the whole lot in. Usually I only topsoil where there are low spots. If clients wants whole lawn done then I lightly dust the whole lawn and put a bit more where the low spots are.Do not put any more than 12mm of topsoil over the grass as the lawn will struggle to get through. Hope this helps

Another little tip when you are topdressing is to roughly spread the topsoil/sand over the area and leave it to dry in the sun for a few hours so it rubs right in and you can barely see the soil afterwards. As David said I found doing the hollows with a thin layer instead of the entire lawn gives a better result. It's better to do numerous thin layers in the hollows to get it flat than one thick layer.

BTW for anyone in Sydney that needs aerating done, forum member 'MikeD' has a corer and scarifier and does a very good job.

I have a client who wants the weeds removed from his sir Walter buffalo.
    He had purchased feed n feed I told him it may burn his lawn. As it says on the pack.
    Is there anything we can use for the weeds?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

There is a product called "Searles Buffalo Master" at bunnings....but I use Bindie on buffalo lawns

Brad

Bindie will do the job, but read the instructions, especially about re-application. You can seriously damage the Buffalo with second sprays.

Hi Craig,

I use a petrol powered aerator hired form local hire shop. This lifts a small core out of the lawn and leaves it on the lawn. This will do most areas, you will need ramps to get up steps, if not you will have to use garden fork. I use Barmac Links Maintenance slow release NPK 12:1:12 but Scotts slow release is good. I aerate the lawn and then run my catcher mower over area to pick up the cores. I then spread Gypsum ( for calcium ) and slow release fertilser, I then top soil and rub it in and then I water the whole lot in. Usually I only topsoil where there are low spots. If clients wants whole lawn done then I lightly dust the whole lawn and put a bit more where the low spots are.Do not put any more than 12mm of topsoil over the grass as the lawn will struggle to get through. Hope this helps
    David just wondering if you might be able to start a topic in the member's forum about how you're pricing this service for your clients?

Finally got around to visiting my local Globe Aust shop today. Picked up 20kg Barmac 2Spec-Elevate for $53 +tax. Suppose to be as good as Scotts but $30 cheaper
    Anyone used it before?
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

No I haven't but having used Barmac chemicals and fertilisers for years I would expect it to be good, having checked the spec sheet I would say that it is a great investment.

Is now a good time for Scottys lawn builder on lawns??? Or should i wait until later in Sept????

You'd know your local conditions better than anyone imoww but considering the averages for your area maybe mid-September onward as the temps start to warm a little.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_068044.shtml

Seems like you have similar climate to here actually with almost identical altitude etc.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast