Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Mowing v's own business

Default Re: Jim's Mowing v's own business

Starting part time is working for me.

And like you said if you've been behind a desk for awhile your body will probably thank you for a smooth transition, build up fitness and condition those soft paper pushing hands. I remember the scratches etc I used to get when I started out.
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mole View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Going out on your own sounds like the way to go but it is scary as hell. My aim is you use lawn mowing as a door to other jobs like minor landscaping and odd jobs. IN my teens and thoughout uni I did a lot of hard labour (drainage work and farm work). I have worked the last 7 years pretty much bound to the desk and in artifical light in a highly regulated environment. I have had enough and want to work outside and for myself. The only thing is stopping me is the money. I am making about $1350 clear a week (about 43 hours a week)for pretty easy work. Have a got rocks in my head thinking that I will make anywhere that money in this industry. I am prepared to work hard and would not expect to earn similiar money for the first year.
    Thats a half decent wage there Dr Mole can i be rude and ask what you do at present.

On that money i would keep doing what your doing, and do some part time gardening on the weekends then you can see if you like it then decide from there.

$1350 clear a week and easy work i dont know i reckon i would stay put unless i really hated the job.
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Thats a half decent wage there Dr Mole can i be rude and ask what you do at present.

On that money i would keep doing what your doing, and do some part time gardening on the weekends then you can see if you like it then decide from there.

$1350 clear a week and easy work i dont know i reckon i would stay put unless i really hated the job.
    Or climb the ladder (if there is one) and earn more and do less.

But be carefull apparently it's lonely at the top.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK BEAR View Post
    Hey TLG!
    "I am a little annoyed about this thread my self as i know 2 members on this forum who my clients do not want to have thme back, as they have done cheap, rubbish work only to claim they are pro's in the field!! "
    Why give a ship about what others on this forum do?
    "Just for the record, I quoted a property the other day and I was made aware that one of our forum members mows this persons lawns for $20.00 odd dollars. It would take me an hour to do this lawn. Then you wonder about all this bull dust talk about contractors who are the real deal etc."
    He would probably say you work too slow and he can do it in half an hour but again - why give a ship??
    He has a reason for it - it may not suit your goals but if he is happy with it thats all that matters.
    It only affects you when you need to quote!! Deal with it - easy walk away and dont worry about it.
    I'm in another industry now and the same happens there!! Many guys are making great money - they are the ones who know what crap they have around them but just get on doing business while many others with the same opportunity seem to dwell on all the crap they have to deal with. This takes their focus, energy and drive away from what they should be doing and then it seems to become "what is wrong with the industry" not what is wrong with their business -them!!
    If you have got enough money and lifestyle let these other guys feel good about what they say they do-true or false!
    Black Bear, I think you have missed the point....

Well Dr Mole...the only way you will know is to have a go. I was similar to you. I thought about it a lot over the years until circumstances pushed me in the right direction. When I did it I found out just how hard it was but I persevered and things have gone well for me. I wish I had done this 20 yrs ago.

If you sit back thinking about it thats all you are going to do.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Few days ago one customer call me for the quote, I come and see property and I give the price to them, and they say me the old gardener sold the business to someone and new guy don't know how to do job.
    I feel bad for this guy because he spend some money to buy business.
    and today i finish job for them and they told me can I give them more card because they have few friend for me
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Gardener View Post
    Black Bear, I think you have missed the point....
    What was you point? I'm confused were you joking/stirring or trying to get under someone's skin?
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Very Helpful Member

Originally Posted by Andy B
    What was you point? I'm confused were you joking/stirring or trying to get under someone's skin?
    Originally Posted by The Local Gardener
    Just for the record, I quoted a property the other day and I was made aware that one of our forum members mows this persons lawns for $20.00 odd dollars. It would take me an hour to do this lawn.[POINT HE WORKS SLOWLY] Then you wonder about all this bull dust talk about contractors who are the real deal etc. What a load of rubbish. Stay true to your own business and be realistic about how you want to conduct business. $20.00 odd dollars for an hour of lawn mowing......Pa leeeeeeeeeese.......Go back to your office job, because you will earn more money that way[ POINT HE BELIEVES OFFICE WORKERS EARN MORE THAN GARDENERS ].... I dont have 100 odd clients like most of you claim you do, but the clients I have are quality and precise.[ HE DOESN'T HAVE MAY CLIENTS ].. I think some of you are full of it.[ HE'S ON TO ME ] This may cause a stirr[ HE CAN'T SPELL], but you know what, I really dont care because that is the truth of this industry. I believe there is only 25% of true lawn mowing and gardening business. The rest are like rovers, picking up the crumbs.[ HE THINKS 25% OF YOU ARE GOOD AND THE REST ARE LIKE ME ]

I am a little annoyed about this thread my self as i know 2 members on this forum who my clients do not want to have thme back, as they have done cheap, rubbish work only to claim they are pro's in the field.[ IT DOESN'T PAY TO DO A CHEAP JOB FOR PEOPLE AS THEY WILL ONLY RUBBISH YOU FOR NOT DOING A GREAT JOB EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE UNWILLING TO PAY FOR IT ]
    SORRY NICK I COULDN'T RESIST
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    I may have just Nick! Enlighten me again.

Andy was this directed at me?? or TLG.
    I wasnt joking etc, but it takes all types to make the world go round. I have heard all the "cr**" like TLG says but I have also heard all the talk about how good everyone should be and how they should run their business. Everyone runs their business their own way because its "their" business and they have the freedom to make decisions. Let them be! This business will always be like this- with some pro's and many just "rovers' as TLG puts it because its something people can get into easily and turn over some cash until they realise what they want to do for a "real job" etc
    Last edited by administrator; 05-06-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Maybe we should give then a nick name like '

Lawn Monkeys

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

How is it that EVERY post in this thread is marked as having been edited by administrator?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Yours isnt so maybe you can work it out and mine isnt either .

Try a bit of detective work as see if you can spot the difference lol .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Default Re: Jim's v's own business

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    I dont like franchies they dont wave ,, what you think your better than me or something my as@ I aint no ones beeatch this is my bussiness and Iam not paying the man Iam paying my self...How sweet are admin new picture things they cool...:
    Hi Impala
    You are right they don't wave.
    It is not their fault ?
    They are too busy worrying about the amount of lawns they have to do a week to pay the franchise holder ( LOL )

Rockin Re: Jim's Mowing v's own business

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    maybe we should give then a nick name like '

lawn monkeys
    lol, lol, lol,

Default Re: Jim's v's own business

Quote Originally Posted by MOWON View Post
    Hi Impala
    You are right they don't wave.
    It is not their fault ?
    They are too busy worrying about the amount of lawns they have to do a week to pay the franchise holder ( LOL )
    That would be a whooping $130 (or 3 mows a week)yep and for that I have received around 600 leads in 3 suburbs in 4.5 years and didnt take leads from july til dec last year due to be to busy with previous clients.
    And before u say why be a Jim if you dont need more work cos we can split our business as many times as possible and pocket a nice 20K. I will let u work out some sums

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast