Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Parking the ute & trailer etiquette

Default Parking the ute & trailer etiquette

OK,

Remember I'm knew and haven't started up yet. So out comes one of my first basic questions.

What is the etiquette re parking the one tonner and trailer when pulling up at a client's house. Especially with the use of the front mower ramp to off load and reload push & SP mowers.
    ie,
    In front of the customers house and the utes across the drive way and trailer side by side with their nature strip .
    Or does parking across an adjacent neighbours house frontage cause drama. I would think lowering a front ramp down on a neighbours front lawn could cause serious friction.

I've also read about car windscreen/side or rear screen damage with stones flicking up.

So what do you guys do normally?

Thanks
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Parking the ute & trailer etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside Mowing View Post
    OK,

Remember I'm knew and haven't started up yet. So out comes one of my first basic questions.

What is the etiquette re parking the one tonner and trailer when pulling up at a client's house. Especially with the use of the front mower ramp to off load and reload push & SP mowers.
    ie,
    In front of the customers house and the utes across the drive way and trailer side by side with their nature strip .
    Or does parking across an adjacent neighbours house frontage cause drama. I would think lowering a front ramp down on a neighbours front lawn could cause serious friction.

I've also read about car windscreen/side or rear screen damage with stones flicking up.

So what do you guys do normally?

Thanks
    I would think ya car/ute and trailer would fit between the house you are mowing driveway and the neighbours driveway and the ramp for ya mower comes down on the customers nature strip . But there is nothing against the law by stopping in front of the neighbours house or opposite as long as u arent blocking any driveways . Nature strips are own by the coucils so even if they do complain. tell to politely get get lost.

Rob,

I thought the correct thing would be to park across the clients house too and if the frontage was small, then the ute would be across the clients driveway.

I saw a well respected Jim's in my town one street from my house, pull up across the road from the client, although not blocking the driveway. So hence me posting the question.

True Story, but many years ago now.

At my fathers home he back out of his driving in West Footscary and backed into a police car who parked across the driveway of the neighbours driveway opposite. Both driveways were in direct aligment opposite each other in a standard suburban residentual street.
    My old man got into no trouble over it and the copper was at fault for parking across a drive way. I would have had a stroke if I had of done that.
    So just another spin on how you guys park at the clients house.
    Cheers Garry

You maynot always have a choice.
    Cheers Dean.

Very Helpful Member

the vic rule is [If a driver is blocking a driveway, the driver is only allowed two minutes to pick up or drop off passengers and must not leave the vehicle unattended ] this would appear to apply even if it is your own driveway so parking over a clients driveway could leave you libel for a fine
    as far as parking before,after or across the road from a clients house there should not be any problems if a neighbour complains i would suggest being polite and not parking there again [ may avoid finding nails in your tyres ] if given a choice i would recommend parking after the house you are doing then any stones flicked up should hopefully hit your trailer not your side window or windscreen
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Grass ,dirt ,sand ect sprayed on your ute will destroy paint job over time, park next door be nice to them and they may have you mow there lawn too..Then move down one more house till you mow the whole street ...well most of it..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Thanks, for the feedback, but more experiences are welcome.

Hijacking my own thread here.

Simo, My parents up until last year went to Ballina to spend the Vic Winter in Ballina for over 23yrs towing their Jayco. Tinkerbells and after it's Demo, the Ballina Gardens Park.
    My family on a few occasions paid a visit to meet up, the last visit to meet up for me was with me boat in tow 2007. Great fishing up there and good cold beer at the RSL and Bowling Club.
    I reckon Grass grows 24/7 even during the night up there with the climate. Seen some super heavy rain falls there. Great place to live.

Back to the thread
    Cheers Garry

Yeh paradise for sure..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

I also find if you park the ute and trailer out the front of the property your doing you can't clean up the mess you leave, especially if there is a lot of leaves in the gutter.

You wont it to look neat and tidy when the client drives up to their house and can see that you've been to mow the lawn.

I've had a neighbour of a lawn I use to mow tell me he was going to call the police as a quarter of my trailer was over his driveway. Never parked their again.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    I also find if you park the ute and trailer out the front of the property your doing you can't clean up the mess you leave, especially if there is a lot of leaves in the gutter.

You wont it to look neat and tidy when the client drives up to their house and can see that you've been to mow the lawn.

I've had a neighbour of a lawn I use to mow tell me he was going to call the police as a quarter of my trailer was over his driveway. Never parked their again.
    People like this really **** me to tears,they really need to get a life
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Thats why people that bye brand new trucks are dumb like 40g hilux to pule there rig because 85% you can only park in front of the job as long as Iam in this game I will never bye a new truck Becase the day you get a little chip in it you will cry for a week lol lol But my dream second hand truck is a Kia k2700 they are a cut little beast and a 2.7l dielel..Not to big just rite....You can get one like 3 to 4 year old for 10-12000 and brad new they are 28000..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2005-Kia-K270...item5193492e30
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Because when winter is here I dont tow my tralier just use the truck save me lots of coin over the cold seson....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

I prefer to park outside the neighbours or directly opposite so I have full access to the clients nature strip. But for clean ups I park as close as possible for as long as possible so there's less time lost going to and from the trailer for tools or carting the rubbish.

On the parking over a driveway topic, if you reverse into or hit an illegally parked car you are at fault. Sure the illegally parked car deserves a fine but that doesn't give us the right to damage it.