Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Work boots ??

Default Re: Work boots ??

Magnums $200 last 12+ months and super light, zip sides and are safety boots, don't even need to break them in. zip sides. like wearing a sand shoe
    http://www.magnumboots.com/au/boots/...leather-ct-cp/

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

+1 on the Magnums. They were the only full waterproof ones when I was looking. Add bamboo socks and they're one comfy boot. I do a bit of bowhunting so I was looking for a work /hiking style boot as I cover a bit of ground in all terrains. So far I'm really impressed. Don't know how true but was told that the US army use these.

Might be worth trying the magnums. They're the same price I was paying for the ascents from athletes foot. I'm not impressed with the build quality of the last pair I bought which started to fall apart after less than 6 months of wear.

IMG_0302.jpg

I've used Oliver's in the workshop as a mechanic and while I was working for a mates plumbing business. Good support all round and held up to chemicals and fuels. One downside is the break in period but after that they're great. The only thing I've replaced on them is the laces.

One thing that should be considered though which my physio mentioned is lace ups are a better choice then slip on boots. You may not notice it but in a slip on boot when you walk your foot tends to try and grab the boot and scrunch up with your toes as they stretch more from moving around inside compared to a lace up boot.

I've also had a pair of Mongrels which I found really comfortable and were lighter then the Olivers.

Only problem with Oliver's is they have a very narrow footbed. Which isn't a problem for most except those with a broad foot like myself
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

My new Mongrel Zip Siders arrived today as the old ones are almost due for the pension.

I think they are almost 3 yrs old & never seen any oil except for accidental sump oil spills or lanox overspray.

I like them as they are very light & comfortable from day 1.

IMG_20170206_131346 (2)rs.jpg

wow Ed, you certainly worked the black out of them

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Went with Macka & GS recco with the Magnums.
    Very comfy, light & tuff but at 16 months now, one of the sides has started to separate from the sole.
    Just my theory but, I think that standing on narrow ladder rungs directly on your instep for long periods may have contributed.
    When I bought the boots they were $219 but have now dropped to $179, so I might buy the same again.

Anyhow, what are others getting/expecting from there boots, I was hoping for 20-24 months but is that unrealistic ?
    Think Im gunna try some shoe goo to fix them & get a few see if I can hit the 2yr mark?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the BOA lacing system ?
    Im tempted to try a pair with this system as I have a prob tying my left boot up due to a hip/groin prob.
    I used to wear slip ons for many years but, after a few slight slips realised I needed something with better support.

Cheers Fred.

ps, & whats with just about all new lace ups having zips ?
    I still can't get my foot in without undoing the laces anyway, am I doing something wrong ?

zippers are a weak point IMO, just something to break

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Hi Fred, I just got a new pair of Mongrels, same as above, for $140. I got 15 months out of the old ones but I didn't look after the leather at all.

I love the zip siders. I don't have to touch the laces at all. I couldn't stand lacing every time I put them on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Went with Macka & GS recco with the Magnums.
    Very comfy, light & tuff but at 16 months now, one of the sides has started to separate from the sole.
    Just my theory but, I think that standing on narrow ladder rungs directly on your instep for long periods may have contributed.
    When I bought the boots they were $219 but have now dropped to $179, so I might buy the same again.

Anyhow, what are others getting/expecting from there boots, I was hoping for 20-24 months but is that unrealistic ?
    Think Im gunna try some shoe goo to fix them & get a few see if I can hit the 2yr mark?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the BOA lacing system ?
    Im tempted to try a pair with this system as I have a prob tying my left boot up due to a hip/groin prob.
    I used to wear slip ons for many years but, after a few slight slips realised I needed something with better support.

Cheers Fred.

ps, & whats with just about all new lace ups having zips ?
    I still can't get my foot in without undoing the laces anyway, am I doing something wrong ?
    soles come loose when boot is worn out and seen alot of wet grass, araldite is a fix, dry it all out and glue.

The magnum lace up system is angled, you need to undo the laces with them, on other brandes the zip is on a different angle and they are fine.

I get about 18months out of a pair sole warn down leather seen to much wet grass.

My last pair was a pair of MACK of a similar style couldnt get the magnums, the MACKS are not fully water proof noticed straight away dust getting through causing dirty feet. more importantly the rubber sole doesnt have the grip of the Magnums, the magnums rubber is softer and the grip is 100% better.

The MACK boot are shyt compaired to the Magnums,

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Before I went to Magnums I ran Rossi slip on's for around 15yrs. They only ever last to 12 mths as the grip would wear completely off & the top leather crack due to wet etc. Beaut thing was you could buy a pair and slip them on without running them in.
    Magnums are lasting around 18mths before they get a bit slippery on the sole. No leaks. I also use these boots for hunting so they see a heap more kms over ****ty terrain.
    Also found the grip on the sole is of a design that allows mud to fall off reasonably easy ( with the exception of red clay).

Very Helpful Member

Mongrels and I never undo the laces except to re-tighten every so often think I get about 12-18 months but then I also wear the "air conditioned" ones in summer also I have brought my last 3-4 pairs on ebay for under $100
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanx guys, might try some magnum ultra lie off ebay.
    Less than half price of my magnums without the zip but look very similar.

I was going to let my Magnums dry out so I could have a go at glueing them so I slipped on my old slip ons.
    WOW, no support what so ever & my feet were moving around inside them no end.
    Couldn't even bring my self to wear them just for the day.

Nobody had boots with the BOA lacing system ?

Cheers Fred.

I've got these https://www.rsea.com.au/work-boots/l...ety-boots-b146

The most comfortable and durable boots I've had .... (except the BOA... they have snapped.. but lifetime warranty on the lace system)

Love the BOA system - Pull the disc out and they loosen up... push disc in and twist until they are tight enough (clicks tighter like a ratchet)

retails 225 but bought for about 175 from rsea

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast