Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: Work boots ??

Default Re: Work boots ??

I have been using steel blue zip sided 152's the last 2 times. Got a free pair off a mate first, as he thought they rubbed on his toe, I did not notice that. Simple zip entry which is great if you go in for a cuppa. Never use the laces except when they get loose. They are very comfy right to the end and last around 18 months. I wear bamboo socks in summer as they are a little cooler and thick socks in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I've got these https://www.rsea.com.au/work-boots/l...ety-boots-b146

The most comfortable and durable boots I've had .... (except the BOA... they have snapped.. but lifetime warranty on the lace system)

Love the BOA system - Pull the disc out and they loosen up... push disc in and twist until they are tight enough (clicks tighter like a ratchet)

retails 225 but bought for about 175 from rsea
    Chris, breaking stainless steel cables, what a he man! .... lol.
    Seriously though, with the lifetime warranty, do they just replace the cable & you thread it through yourself ?
    RSEA price for the BOA Blundstones is $225 atm.

Seeing that my magnum boots are just about spent, I tried a little experiment.
    I cut the leather joining flap out so the boot now really opens with the zip undone, enough for me to easily get my foot in with the laces done up.
    So now I get the zip idea, i can get them on/off as easy as a slip on boot with the support of a lace up.

I really like the magnums & am tempted to buy another pair but, not sure I feel too comfortable taking to a new pair of $200+ boots with a pair of scissors ?

Cheers Fred.

ps, sorry Chris, just noticed your pm, thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Before I went to Magnums I ran Rossi slip on's for around 15yrs. They only ever last to 12 mths as the grip would wear completely off & the top leather crack due to wet etc. Beaut thing was you could buy a pair and slip them on without running them in.
    Well I'm gona stick my neck out here re Work Boots. (Slip On Gusset)
    I've been loyal to Rossi boots since a teenager at 17 buying them as Motorcycle boots and have bought Rossi since 2010 for lawn mowing every year since. Thought I would stick with them and support the little factory in SA. Especailly since they lost the defence contract.

But the W/Boots have sadly lost quality, as G/Solutions has said they split across the top and grips wears to soon. They also spit at the sides around the wide part of the toes. But its the soles that are total crap now as at 30% wear mark the heal rubber soles part exposes a cheap soft foam type rubber infill that seperates from the rubber and the whole sole goes rapidly down hill at that point in time.
    Well I thought no more Rossi's for work, Dedicated Rossi motorbike boots are real good though.

Then Aldi at the time had the Steel Cap Work Boot Twin Gusset leather upper and I bought a pair for $29, my normal size 9 Rossi was the same fit size 9 at Aldi. Put them on in the carpark and worked all day and was impressed with them straight away re fit, tight gusset, soft cushioning material lined interior and similar appearance to the $120 Rossi's at Bunnings.
    So went back to Aldi same day later in day and bought another 3 in my size between two stores in my travels that day. Will keep these 3 and use in time.
    That was 3 months ago in March, the first pair are wearing far better than the rossi's ever did, no cracking and still look near new apart from dirt. The sole appears to be solid rubber throughout its wear, as none of that cheap soft foam rubber has appeared and the sole is in top nick.There are no signs of the sole separating at the base where it attaches to the dark brown leather upper. The Rossi's used to start separating.

Happy, sure am and got 4 pairs for the price of one Rossie and they are made to Aust Standard 2210.3. Plus they work well on the M/Bike for short local down the shop trips re working the gears shifts not missing gears.

Yep, stuck me neck out here praising the Aldi Work Boots, but for my size 9 feet and my straight foot shape they are great.

Edit; Same story applies to Aldi Mens Wool Rich Cushion Work Socks compared to Holeproof Explorer Copper socks. Bought 10 Pairs re the Aldi socks after trialling 2 pair at a fraction of the price of Holeproof Explorer's and I prefer the Aldi socks to the Explorers now as I get no sock curl under the heel or twist under foot and a better snug fit overal for a thick sock.

About time I tucked me neck back in before I start getting called Ninja instead of Gazza
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

I like the Kmart bamboo work socks
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Redbacks i bought in 2015 still going strong,should be able to get another year from them $125..good value for the money

Fred, no he-man , i just break everything haha.... cables seem to break as they rub against each other or the shoe combined with dust and dirt. Besides that they are great... the rubber mould over the toe cap area is good too.
    I often see them on sale so if you want them and can hold off a little longer...

I had a few zip siders... once you put them on and off a few times your feet slip in easier..... funny thing was on both those shoes it was the laces that snapped before the zips!

Either way on every boot I've owned its always the bottom of the heel that wears away... blundstones wearing but def lasting longer

Gazza, last year i bought the fancier bonds explorers socks ... not the copper ones but some other heavy duty version Kevlar fibre maybe? .... had same problem... they were bigger and bunched up... so annoying... they cost a fortune too!
    The standard explorer socks are really good though although a bit hot in summer - they have a cotton version which is same fit but a lot cooler

Ian , are bamboo cooler than cotton socks?

Very Helpful Member

I don't know if they are cooler I've been wearing them for years and I must have thought they were better otherwise I probably wouldn't of kept wearing them $6 regular price at kmart not sure how long they last as I just buy 2-3 pair in the same colour every so often, as they are the same colour I can be wearing a 12month old sock and a nearly new one every so often I come home take my boots off and throw 1 sock out and the other is still good
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

bamboo socks have worn for years ..only problem you have to have a few pairs as they a day too in the inter dry out but a good sock for sure.....i pay 30 bucks for 3 pair from the safe workwear shop.. didn't realise kmart sold them...and boots well i dont know about your rossi in wondonga gas but down here in use melbourne buntings 120 buck boots gets me a year ..year in year out ...actually got 2 pair for 100 bucks at a framers market but they are all sold out now ..

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    bamboo socks have worn for years ..only problem you have to have a few pairs as they a day too in the inter dry out but a good sock for sure.....i pay 30 bucks for 3 pair from the safe workwear shop.. didn't realise kmart sold them...and boots well i dont know about your rossi in wondonga gas but down here in use melbourne buntings 120 buck boots gets me a year ..year in year out ...actually got 2 pair for 100 bucks at a framers market but they are all sold out now ..
    Not sure if you miss read?. But the Rossi boots are failing in the heel with high wear exposing a cheap soft foam type rubber infill that seperates. Struggle to get a year out of them, particularly right foot and had been repeatedly buying a new pair every year. I think walking backwards doing vertical edging and I do a lot of it stuffs the poorly made heel sole first before the rest of the boot gives way in some other manner mentioned.

So I've given the Rossi's the boot or maybe lost the "Power of Love" for them.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Not sure if you miss read?. But the Rossi boots are failing in the heel with high wear exposing a cheap soft foam type rubber infill that seperates. Struggle to get a year out of them, particularly right foot and had been repeatedly buying a new pair every year. I think walking backwards doing vertical edging and I do a lot of it stuffs the poorly made heel sole first before the rest of the boot gives way in some other manner mentioned.

So I've given the Rossi's the boot or maybe lost the "Power of Love" for them.
    fair enough Gaz but i have to go ahead and disagree but value your opinion .my experience is somewhat different but each to there own i guess...my humble experience with these great boots is good buy hey what rocks ya boat...go rossi lol and getting one year is pretty good thats couple bucks a week pretty good value me thinks...

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    I've been also wearing bamboo socks for quite a while now, $12 pair at Total Workwear. Very comfortable and tough. Draw the moisture away from your feet and yes a PITA the way they take ages to dry out. Pure wool socks are also good, draw the moisture from your feet, feel lighter as the day goes on and dry quickly. That said I prefer bamboo socks when I'm working, wool when I'm hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I don't know if they are cooler I've been wearing them for years and I must have thought they were better otherwise I probably wouldn't of kept wearing them $6 regular price at kmart not sure how long they last as I just buy 2-3 pair in the same colour every so often, as they are the same colour I can be wearing a 12month old sock and a nearly new one every so often I come home take my boots off and throw 1 sock out and the other is still good
    thanks, picked up a pair $6
    I think I prefer wool in this weather but the bamboo should be better in the warmer weather
    also they are probably made on the same machine as the explorers... they look exactly the same side by side lol

For those interested.
    Think I'll go the magnums again.
    Nearly 2yrs & still going, they've been great.
    Only slight prob is that the velcro on one boot has worn & doesn't hold & the zip slips down a little.
    Super comfy & durable, on special atm at Rays outdoors at $167, I think great value for money.
    I'll ring RSEA & see if they'll price match ?
    Got my thumbs up.

Cheers Fred.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617