Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: How Much/ What to Setup??

Default How Much/ What to Setup??

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering, How much do you need to spend to get setup??

I was thinking of getting secondhand gear, but doubling up with a different brand, so I was thinking of getting the following:

(all secondhand)

Honda HRU216D
    Bushmaster 590
    Stihl FS Series Brushcutter
    Shindaiwa 230 Multi tool
    Blower (yet to be decided)

Just just for the moment I just do lawns, as I'm unsure about pruning and other aspects of gardening. In the future I'll get a zero turn mower and if business still goes on the up i'll buy a proper slasher, as there's plenty of land out my way.

Whats your thoughts? and how much should I spend??

And I also have to buy a vehicle, whats the best way of doing this with finance? I don't want a new vehicle, just wanna spend Less the $7,000 on a HiLux. so persona or business finance?
    Fresh_Cut Better known simply as "Chris"

Will have the business on the road soon..

Default Re: How Much/ What to Setup??

Hi Fresh Cut,

As you know everyone is different, if I may I would suggest going new with the mower and as near new as you can afford on your brushy because they'll do most of your work. If your not going to get a blower straight away get the widest rake and broom you can find. But come spring get a blower as soon as you can because it's so much quicker. When faced with a similar situation I went the 196d instead of the 216d to save the dosh. And I got a second hand near new brushy and cheap blower. Again everyone is different but aim for $2g to set up some people spend more some people spend less depends on your plan of attack too. Also if you haven't already have a look at Deans packages you might like the look of one of them. Then build to a stage where you have two of everything.

On the vehicle I've always owned holdens but you can't go wrong with a hilux, driven plenty of them and people tell me they are reliable and plenty of parts around incase you need.

Some fella's operate with only a ute but probably a good idea to look into trailers later in the year too (if you haven't already got one) so remember if your vehicle already has a tow bar that'll be a few hundred bucks you'll save there too.

Hope that helps and I'm sure everyone else will have opinions too.

Hi Chris..
    There is no known formula on what to spend.We all structure our businesses diffrent and specialize in many areas and what we buy or spend depends entirly on which direction we are heading.Having say that our equipment is our livelyhood and we invest in the best we can afford no matter the brand.We all have diffrent opionions on equipment but its what works best for you that matters but buy the best you can afford.

Second hand equipment will get you started but start to invest in better equipment as soon as you can.Breakdowns can be costly in more ways than one and reliable equipment is paramount.Dont forget we are heading into summer and you will be called on to prune,hedge and do some things you may not have planned on so be prepared that you may have to expand your inventory down the track ..

Build yourself a good relationship with a mower shop will help as well.As far as vehicles go a good second hand low KM late model ute can be financed easily but it must have a good towing capacity and a 4WD is better for this but again it depends on your budget.Shop around for finance as much as the vehicle.

Winter is a good time to start as you have time up your sleve to think and buid your business plans etc as come summer you cant scratch yourself so use the time you have now wisely to build your business foundations.. Good luck and welcome aboard..

Very well said Wattle GC!

Hi Chris, great to see you posting again, hope your doing fine.
    Cheers Dean.

If you buy used 216D then maybe very soon self propeled can be broken and it will cost you around $300-400 to fix, and if you buy used brush cutter you can have a lot trouble with starting it on every property and you will lost a lot time and you will be little crazy
    see you on road

Very Helpful Member

unless your very lucky most of the second hand hondas that are for sale are ex contractor and there is a reason there being sold and that is they may still be ok for a home owner doing 1 lawn every 2 weeks but are too worn out to keep doing even 20-30 lawns every week if you still want to buy 2nd hand have a good look at the chassis just in front of the rear left hand wheel [standing behind a 196/197] as i find this is the first place they wear out with mulching
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I personally wouldn't go near a used honda mower but I'm quite biased against them. Look around for ex-council victa 550, they're side-throw only but tough as nails. I got a ex-council one years ago thats as strong as the day I bought it, victas' powertorque engines keep on keeping on - the old aussie made ones.
    Most people sell their stihl brushies 'cause they're such *****es to start, esp in the heat. I'd get a chinese brushie to start with, you'll get a couple of seasons out of it & then have it as a back-up.
    Gunna duck for cover now.....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Your enthusiasm for these mowers is infectious red eye, love to get my hands on one of these one day