Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hustler or Walker?

Default Hustler or Walker?

Hi, all I have not used a zero before but have been looking around at options for what I need. I would love to go all out and buy a Walker GHS with a 36inch catch and 56inch side throw but dont have that sort of $$$. I'm looking at Hustler 42inch but just priced Walker MB (non catching model) with 42inch side throw deck for about the same $$. Very simular set ups with HP and ground speed ect. Looking for peoples opinions.

Cheers Rick

Default Re: Hustler or Walker?

Depends on the model hustler but it should be tougher and faster than the walker but the walker will cut better, cut down your trimming time dramatically as nothing compares to a outfront for trimming ability. Plus you have the advantage of fitting multiple size decks, for getting through small gates or doing fields etc.

The Hustler is the super duty 42inch 19hp kawasaki. They look super tough. I'll have a look at the walker in the flesh when I get a chance, it's a MB 18hp Kohlar priced with the 42inch deck. Pretty much same price. Would then be looking at a larger deck down the track and ultimately trade up to a MT or MD GHS model when money is flowing more freely. Will the Walker cut rough blocks like the Hustler will? Hustler does 13kph and the Walker 11kph so pretty much the same.

Was thinking about the Walker with a larger deck 48-56inch and just take the deck off to get through smaller gates if I needed to?

Cheers Rick

Not really familiar with the super duty. A walker 42" deck is still going to restrict you with gate entry, and the deck is a bit to heavy to be taking on and off for gate entry. You could go a 36" which will get you through most gates, this also requires the skinny wheel/tyre combo (which you would still need if you were to be carrying the 42" deck through gates)

Don't know if a 18hp petrol is going to be sufficient for cutting your rough blocks though. I have done some serious long rough blocks with my kubota diesel walkers though.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenhead View Post
    Hi, all I have not used a zero before but have been looking around at options for what I need. I would love to go all out and buy a Walker GHS with a 36inch catch and 56inch side throw but dont have that sort of $$$. I'm looking at Hustler 42inch but just priced Walker MB (non catching model) with 42inch side throw deck for about the same $$. Very simular set ups with HP and ground speed ect. Looking for peoples opinions.

Cheers Rick
    With a Hustler you can change from side discharge to catcher relatively quickly and easily. With a Walker MB you can't put a catcher on it to my knowledge. With a GHS you have to
    1. Buy another deck $$$$ !!
    2. Change the deck over (hassle)
    3. Carry the other deck with you (more room in the ute or trailer)

My advice, go for a Hustler because they will handle the rough stuff a lot better than a Walker and will still do a nice job on a manicured lawn. Walkers take up more room in the trailer and you have to keep on looking behind you when you turn a corner because of the rest of the machine sticking out behind you. To be fair a Hustler will have the same problem with a catcher fitted. If you damage the deck gearbox on a Walker it will cost you a lot of money. My blade spindle bearings let go on my Hustler and it cost me $18.00 (2 x $9.00 bearings) plus my time to fit them..... Big Deal!! A walker will cost you a lot more.

Don't get me wrong Walkers are good mowers, they do a good job on a good lawn but put them in long grass ...... forget it. They talk a lot about superior trim ability but I can't see the difference between a mid mount and front mount. Just look at the distance between the front castor wheels and the front of the deck, there's not much in it.

I owned a Toro Z355 which is much the same as a Walker and it was great on a manicured lawn but hopeless for anything else. For my business mid mounts are the way to go but everybodys needs are different.

Thats right you buy based on what you will be using the machine for. Walker have just brought out a 3 way deck if that is any help. I wish I still had my walker because that deck would make life easy.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    With a Hustler you can change from side discharge to catcher relatively quickly and easily. With a Walker MB you can't put a catcher on it to my knowledge. With a GHS you have to
    1. Buy another deck $$$$ !!
    2. Change the deck over (hassle)
    3. Carry the other deck with you (more room in the ute or trailer)

My advice, go for a Hustler because they will handle the rough stuff a lot better than a Walker and will still do a nice job on a manicured lawn. Walkers take up more room in the trailer and you have to keep on looking behind you when you turn a corner because of the rest of the machine sticking out behind you. To be fair a Hustler will have the same problem with a catcher fitted. If you damage the deck gearbox on a Walker it will cost you a lot of money. My blade spindle bearings let go on my Hustler and it cost me $18.00 (2 x $9.00 bearings) plus my time to fit them..... Big Deal!! A walker will cost you a lot more.

Don't get me wrong Walkers are good mowers, they do a good job on a good lawn but put them in long grass ...... forget it. They talk a lot about superior trim ability but I can't see the difference between a mid mount and front mount. Just look at the distance between the front castor wheels and the front of the deck, there's not much in it.

I owned a Toro Z355 which is much the same as a Walker and it was great on a manicured lawn but hopeless for anything else. For my business mid mounts are the way to go but everybodys needs are different.
    There are some relevant points there however I feel the Walker is getting sold a bit short,

1. Hustler with catcher will not pick up clippings and leaves anywhere near as well as a purpose built Walker GHS.

2. The hustler catcher is bulky and makes the machine less maneuverable due to the catcher hanging out back, and the side discharge shoot makes it only possible to trim on one side of deck.

3. Carrying the extra Walker deck is a pain in the rear, but swapping it over takes about 2-3 minutes once you get good at it.

4. After a day or two on a Walker the rear end following is a non issue, I never hit anything.

5. Walkers are not built as tough as Hustlers but looked after and used properly are very reliable, I have close to 2000 hrs on one machine, which was mainly used in a bushland setting caravan park with lots of leaves, sticks, rocks and exposed tree roots and have never broken a gear box or anything else for that matter.

6. The older style side discharge decks are belt driven so no gear boxes to worry about on them.

7. As for cutting long grass, I have cut feral paddocks 2ft high with my diesel walker and 62" side discharge, done it easy and the finish was amazing. Took a bit longer than the Hustler though.

8. Trim ability is night and day better on a Walker, nothing compares to a outfront for trimming, you can slot the deck under low tree branches, hang it over the edge of gutters (with deck lift fitted) manipulate the deck between power poles and gutters, curl it around tree trunks, the deck floats independent to the machine so it follows the contours of the ground and drops into valleys and drain slopes etc. The outfront deck is very user friendly in a visual aspect as well, you have a full view of the trimming edges, and on the GHS decks you have trim ability on both sides.

Like you said we all have different needs, I have both Walkers and Hustler for different terrain and jobs but if I could only have 1 machine it would be a Walker with a couple of decks. Having said that I wouldn't buy a Walker without a GHS as my only machine either. Its the ability to discharge, mulch and GHS that sets the Walker apart from the rest.

I talked to a Walker distributor the other day about the new multi deck and he says its the best cutting deck he has ever seen, its only available in small sizes though, cant remember if he said 42 or 48"

John.
    PS: I love the steering set up on the walkers too, having the ground speed set on a separate lever and using the joysticks to brake each side just makes so much more sense than the pushing and pulling the joysticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paisley View Post
    Thats right you buy based on what you will be using the machine for. Walker have just brought out a 3 way deck if that is any help. I wish I still had my walker because that deck would make life easy.
    With the 3 way decks, I assume that the 2 blades are counter rotating. This is good for catching and mulching but how do you side discharge with counter rotating blades? The way I see it is that you would have to change the rotation of the right hand blade so that it shoots the grass out the right hand side of the deck. Also you would have to put a right handed blade on the right side or else you would be trying to cut grass with the back edge of the blade?

Thumbs up Re: Hustler or Walker?

Yes I agree south coast on all your comments about the walker, they are much better in manouvering than a mid mount.

I had a 36 inch in the GHS and a 48 inch side discharge mulch. I would work out what i have on the next day and that would determine which deck to use, and the decks are very easy to change over.

Even if your using the GHS deck you didn't have to collect the clippings, the back gate could be left open with a metal deflector inserted in the back and the clippings would come through the back chute onto the ground.

Thanks for the advise. The main reason for wanting a Walker is the interchangable deck option. I have a couple of schools that have areas the a 54inch hustler wont get to. I had a look at a walker the other day and can see that the hustler looks tougher and less maintenance. The Walker looks great and a bit more upmarket where as the hustler is very basic. Will deside in a few weeks and let you know how I went.

Cheers Rick

one more question. I should be able to squeeze a 54inch hustler in my 8x5 trailer. But worried about weight. I think it's around 530kg?? Does the 750kg rating on the trailer include the weight of the trailer? I would have other equipment on there too so the weight would get up there. May be some heavier duty springs would make it safer? Dont really want a dual axle.

Cheers Rick

750 minus the wweight of the trailer so prolly about 550 depending on the traler anything over 750 needs brakes on the trailer

It would be cutting it a bit fine then. There goes another $3k on a bigger trailer. Have to do more saving now!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Cheers Rick

Quote Originally Posted by holdenhead View Post
    It would be cutting it a bit fine then. There goes another $3k on a bigger trailer. Have to do more saving now!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Cheers Rick
    Holdenhead just get the brakes fitted to your trailer that wont cost $3K

Some good info on front mount v underbelly here http://www.walkermowers.com/difference/out-front.php Its from the manufacturer so believe what you like but I find it quite accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast