Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Customer service

Default Customer service

Hi All,

I have been in the Retail industry for 25 years............I thnk i know what great customer service is and I know its importance.

But what is great customer service in Mowing / Gardening industry.

I'll start with one: Communication - keeping the customer informed

Any more?

Jay
    Silkwood Garden Care
    Areas we service are:
    Blackburn, Blackburn South, Burwood East, Burwood, Mt Waverly, Glen Waverley

Default Re: Customer service

To me the main two things are turn up when you say you will (whether it be a quote, doing the job etc) and do a good quality job.

People tell me reliability is also key. Be reliable and word of mouth works for you!

Being reliable is probably the number one thing. If you ask when quoting why they are unhappy with their existing contractor, most of the time its "because the guy we have now doesn't turn up". People want to know that you will come when you say you will come. If you are supposed to be there every second Wednesday, be there every second Wednesday! People don't have time or want the hassle to chase up their mower man, so being reliable is the first step to good customer service.

Half the time when I do quotes, the client tells me they called a few other guys for quotes who didn't turn up. I don't know why they just don't say they are too busy!

Totally Stripes, as part of our customer service we could all tell clients that we will attempt to find another contractor for them rather than just not turn up and refer them to the 1800 number or the LMD directory or the current jobs thread. They may be a PITA but one contractors pita might be another contractors best customer.

Smile Re: Customer service

The three R's. RELIABILITY-RESONSIBILITY-RESPECTFUL

And........ SMILE.

Do a small extra like blow leaves away from front or back door mats,or pull out the weeds from the pot plant at the front door..When they open the door to pay and see you standing there with a bunch of leaves or weeds in hand, it makes a great impression..They then tell all there friends how you weeded there pot plants or cleaned up a bunch of leaves as well as a great lawn mowing job ...Before you know it you`ll be mowing all of there friends lawns too..And it only takes 1 min each time...
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Everything everyone has posted plus take some time to actually talk to the client. Get them out and walk them through thier garden. Show them your work and ask what they would like done next time. Give a freebie every now and then to the really good customers even if it is only small but let them know you have given it as an extra otherwise they will start expecting it.

Being friendly and open is a huge part of good service. No one will want to talk to a cranky looking lawnie who is is a a huge hurry.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."