Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Part time Indy

Default Part time Indy

Hi Guys,

I'm still a part time Indy, working on fulltime

At the moment I do 2 or 3 days a week, my other job is working in the Timber and Hardware industry, which I think is a very good "match"

Who else is part time and what is your other job

cheers

Jay
    Silkwood Garden Care
    Areas we service are:
    Blackburn, Blackburn South, Burwood East, Burwood, Mt Waverly, Glen Waverley

Default Re: Part time Indy

hey gordon, at present im setting up, website, equipment,advertising etc only have 2-3 lawns at the moment, just gonna see how it goes up till chrissie. Other job is a brickie.

Dont brick layers get $50H so Ive heard here on the GC
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

i need to head up there ..currently working for someone getting around $33/hr, but being a subbie on abn u have rain days,jobs not ready etc can get ya a bit

I am a proud part timer, fitting in what I can in the afternoons and weekends.

During the week I am a mature aged carpentry apprentice so the extra money coupled with my enjoyment for gardening/landscaping make a good combo.

Currently have about 12 clients and a real estate company giving me some good earners doing garden cleanups for rentals.

Will eventually combine all aspects together into one business becoming a mowing/gardening/landscaping/carpenter genius!
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

Part time at the moment only 3-4days ..Stay home and nag the wife and kids till spring..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Quote Originally Posted by brettly View Post
    i need to head up there ..currently working for someone getting around $33/hr, but being a subbie on abn u have rain days,jobs not ready etc can get ya a bit
    Having an ABN is no guarantee that you are a contractor and not an employee. If you turn up when told, work under their direction, use their tools, carry no commercial risk, and are not free to send your own employee in place of you personally, there is every likelyhood you are working under a 'sham' contract. Even if a legitimate contractor, my understanding is, if you get 80% of your work from this one 'client', then the 'employer' should be withholding PAYG tax. This employer is liable for heavy fines for failing to do so, and further penalties for failing to pay your superannuation guarantee should call 'Foul!" later.

Building union slams use of sham contractors
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...01/2673425.htm

"And of course we have this latest statistic that we got from the ABS which shows that there's 116,000 people holding ABNs who describe their jobs as a labourer. Now being a labourer is inconsistent with being a bona fide business."

Union calls for crackdown on sham contractors
    http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...9/s2673172.htm

Fair Work Australia
    http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Pages/con...le=contractors
    Things every contractor should know
    Find out the difference between an employee and a contractor. Where do you sit?
    Sham contractsSham contracts
    Employers disguising employment as a contracting arrangement - know what to look out for.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I'm part time and full time at home Dad. Last count was 30 something regular/casual clients.

I'm part time at the moment while I'm quiet during Winter. My wife works 2 days a week, so I stay home and look after the kids while she is at work, then she looks after the kids while I'm working. We have 4 kids and only one is at school, so the cost of childcare makes it not worthwhile for us both to work fulltime. We have a lady who looks after kids if I have a big install to do, but she's 25 minutes away so we only use her if it is going to be worthwhile, or if my wife gets called into work an extra day and I have too much on. The Mrs is a school teacher so she has plenty of holidays and gets home just after 3pm, so once Spring comes I can shoot off and do some work in the afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by brettly View Post
    I heard over here that brickies were pulling $2 a brick. Not sure how many you can lay an hour but it seems pretty good money.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

and worth every cent ..ever laid brick after brick 7 days a week..you rekon we do it tough digging , these poor bastards are work horses..over her it ranges from 1 to 1.50 but 2 bucks is not rare when work is plentiful

for now I work part time 20 regular customers and full time as picker packer for now and I hope very soon full time gardening

i do mowing/gardening part time to, i have full time job which is shift work 2 days 2 nights 12 hour shifts and usually 4 to 5 days off after that. My wife works 3 days a week and I look after my 3 year old son for 2 of those days. So i try and fit in a bit of extra work when i can.

There trying to change our shifts to 8 hours which wont work out good.

Wow are there any full time mowing contractors on here. I mean people who actually make their living mowing and gardening.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing Mark. Didn't realize how many people do it part time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast