Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grafting Grevilleas

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Grafting Grevilleas

Has anyone had any experience with this. I'm planning on grafting a mallie dawn with a ned kelly. Don't know if it will take or even if its something even doable but I'm going to try it any way. Would be great to know there is someone else out there that has had a bit of experience with grevillea and grafting

Default Re: Grafting Grevilleas

BTW most people know the ned kelly, but the scientific name for the mallee dawn is Grevillea x semperflorens and if I'm right I believe there is not a lot of them in australia

the robin gorden is close enough to the ned kelly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Glen,

You won't know until you try, I am in the process of growing two Grevillea robusta's (Silky Oak) that I am going to graft a Grevillea Poorinda Royal Mantle(ground cover) onto. I have to wait until the Silky oaks are about 1.8 high then I can graft the Royal mantles. I know it can be done as a mate and myself did one for his nursery. It looks great a weeping Grevillea standard.
    Just make certain you do it in early to mid Spring and you use budding tape to wrap the wound until the graft has taken so no diseases can get in, you may want to use a graft sealing spray to.

Cheers David

Thanks David S. you will have to let me know how it goes. It feels great creating something new. I haven't done it with plants but spent 7 years creating a new colour variety of a fish. It is amazing watching the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Hi Glen,

You won't know until you try, I am in the process of growing two Grevillea robusta's (Silky Oak) that I am going to graft a Grevillea Poorinda Royal Mantle(ground cover) onto. I have to wait until the Silky oaks are about 1.8 high then I can graft the Royal mantles. I know it can be done as a mate and myself did one for his nursery. It looks great a weeping Grevillea standard.
    Just make certain you do it in early to mid Spring and you use budding tape to wrap the wound until the graft has taken so no diseases can get in, you may want to use a graft sealing spray to.

Cheers David
    Thats a great idea David, never thought of a Grevillea standard, would make a good feature in the right situation A1!!

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

David,

Would love to see some photos of that!!

Thats fantastic you do that yourself David woud also love to see pics of this,

when I went to Grovely Tafe in 2000 they had a spectacular version of this, Nielson native nursery also has a couple of nice ones out the front you can also buy them there but they are a couple of hundread dollars.

All the best with yours to Glen.

Here is a picture of the Grevillea robust and Grevillea Poorinda Royal Mantle.
    Looks a lot better when in full flower.
    This is about 6 years old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice tidy looking nursery!

Yeah is a fanatic when it comes to tidy, uses a stick to align all the plants in rows, he has marking on the ends of the edging to line the rows up to so they have a measured spacing. He started years ago as a lawnie in southern Sydney, but got the bug for plants and ended up buying this nursery about 17 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Here is a picture of the Grevillea robust and Grevillea Poorinda Royal Mantle.
    Looks a lot better when in full flower.
    This is about 6 years old now.
    Very nice, got me thinking now!!

how did the grafting go?

David will the Gr. robusta rootstock still have the potential to grow quite large or does chopping out the crown in the grafting process prevent that?

I'm envisioning a 25m tall Gr. Poorinda Royal Mantle many years down the track!

Kathryn, still waiting for rootstock to be tall and strong enough, probably by then end of next Summer it will be big enough?? then I have to pick the time to graft, probably early next spring.
    PaulG, yes once the rootstock is cut then the graft takes over, no more vertical growth, that why I am waiting so long for the rootstock to be right, I want to be able to walk underneath it to mow.
    The rootstock is now 1.8 mtrs high but I want it 2 mtrs plus so that the trunk is nice and thick it will take just a little bit longer. It needs to be about 3 to 4cm thick were you are going to graft so it is able to support the graft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast