Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: To whip or mow?

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Rockin To whip or mow?

Hello to all.

Just wandering, how many of you get out of your rigs and say to your selves, "I think I might just snip this one today"?

Winter is different for all depending on the state you live in. I don't always whip, however these days I have been. Dormant time, best time of the year no doubt in prep of Spring.

Hope you are all doing well and keeping safe.

PS, Scoob, if you are reading this I went to the back beach this morning at Rye and caught bay trout just off the wash about 30 meters away from the shore. Poppers only, 2 by 2 man, it was that feeling of happiness. Grin from ear to ear.... froze my ass off, red runny nose, but well worth it. Posting this from weekend away with the missus..

Default Re: To whip or mow?

If it wasnt for trees dropping their leaves you could nearly get away whip a quick wizz around with the whippy at the moment.

I used to do it a lot. People can't tell the difference, but when they actually saw me do it they had a whinge. I did it at some jobs year round- small backyards with steps to get the mower up, or just pita small lawns that were thinly grassed or just rubbish. The backpack blower comes into play with these lawns too. Leaves and clippings get blown to bits so the lawn was always spotless.

Two clients never knew any different until they saw me, then started whinging about why they are paying me when I haven't cut it properly. I asked if it looks good -'yes', does it look any different to mowing 'no', then what is the problem 'you didn't mow it'. No, I cut it, what does it matter what I cut it with if it looks good? and around in circles it goes until I tell them to get someone else. One even commented her grass has never looked better until she realised I used the whippy on it.

The customer is allways right .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    The customer is allways right .
    Mine were wrong

In winter we whip a lot of our lawns too, and sometimes we don't even need to do the edges.
    If leaves have fallen we rake them up after blowing them with the backpack blower into a pile.

I still whip and mow my lawns, only difference in winter is that i use the mulch plug a hell of a lot more.

Even if there is stuff all there, the finish job still looks that little better then if just tried whip over it.

cheers
    jas

I also whip small/awkward lawns, as long as the finish is up to scratch, thats what counts.
    Sometimes on bumpy lawns u can even achieve a better finsh with less scalping.
    I would really like someone to manufacture an articulated head 4 this reason.
    Cheers Dean.

still do both whip and mow i see it as my choice as to how i do it after all the customers paying for a finished result not there own selection of equipment , also adamandeves is spot on with some bumpy lawns the end results are much better

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves View Post
    I also whip small/awkward lawns, as long as the finish is up to scratch, thats what counts.
    Sometimes on bumpy lawns u can even achieve a better finsh with less scalping.
    I would really like someone to manufacture an articulated head 4 this reason.
    Cheers Dean.
    Do you have a stiff neck?? lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Do you have a stiff neck?? lol
    Sometimes, and also sometimes a sore arm from swinging it one handed side to side.
    Used to use a pope but now use a much lighter shidaiwa. Need a long snap on handle so it can be used in a similar style to the bullbar type whippies, that way you,d have a straight back,not having to slouch forward to grab the small D handle.
    If u watch the stick edger clip Admin posted, you,ll see what I mean. If the handle snapped off/on easily , u could do your verticles followed by your horizontals.
    Cheers Dean.

I use my Honda with Bull handles to this sort of snipping, yes I do some small lawns this way and the client does not know the difference. I don't end up with a sore back, I use the D handle Sthil for the edging when I don't use the Atom.

I say mow, low, and often....new tat=mowing.jpg