Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weed and Feed

Default Weed and Feed

What does everyone do here to clean up lawns with weeds on them.

I havent really tried out anything on the market.

Is there commercial types? If there is where can I get bulk of those rather than get small packets at a time.

Default Re: Weed and Feed

Hi VJ

We use Kamba M or Cutlass M

generally buy in 5 litre or 20 litre from our local rural supplies store, Cost $248 for a 20 litre Cutlass M last week

Cheers Andy

I've had great success with both granular Weed'n'Feed, also with Kamba-M (same active ingredients for the weedicide)
    In this damp weather, the granules will reactivate with every dew/drizzle/rain.
    Once I hit dryer month of August, I prefer Kamba-M, just watch the rainfast period!

Kamba-M is my preference. If you hit weeds good before peak growingseason, you'll save a heap of work in Spring and Summer because the lawns take longer before they look untidy and you can extend mowing periods.

Makesure you rinse your spray pack straight afterwards - the chemicals will deteriorate your pack.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Wat do you guys use for this time of the year (mid-year)?

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Mate i have a bindi and clover spray that Ive been using with great success but there is another one bindbi i think its called with an orange label it is the bomb.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

You have to be careful what you use on buffalo lawns etc as most will kill the buffalo aswell

Very Helpful Member

this may be helpful [ Sapphire Buffalo Lawn can be sprayed with Bromoxynil and MCPA, as it is resistant to these chemicals. Follow directions on the spray pack. Remember never to use Dicamba on Buffalo grass.] i believe this applies to all buffalo varieties and both Kamba m and Cutlass m have Dicamba as a main active ingredient
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Hi
    Does anyone know were to buy 5 or 20 litres of kamba m
    location near Penrith NSW
    Thanks
    Hg

Hg ring Kevin Booth from Globe Australia 0438011042, he will give you a price which includes delivery, or he will deliver it to you as he live around Blacktown.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    Mate i have a bindi and clover spray that Ive been using with great success but there is another one bindbi i think its called with an orange label it is the bomb.
    Is that binbi or bindie. I've used bin di on my lawn for a couple of years and don't have any problems with bindi anymore but the bloody clover comes up everywhere every winter. Going to feed it with high nitrogen fertilizer and hopefully it makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Is that binbi or bindie. I've used bin di on my lawn for a couple of years and don't have any problems with bindi anymore but the bloody clover comes up everywhere every winter. Going to feed it with high nitrogen fertilizer and hopefully it makes a difference
    Mate clover is a good sign of high nitrogen levels in the soil, I wouldn't fertilise it keep hitting it with the bindie The best thing for clover I have found is spearhead but you can only get it in 10 litres so it's a bit expensive you can use it on everything and it is residual in the soil. The guys using Kamba make sure you don't spray it on buffalo it has dicamba in it. If you do use spearhead mix it at the recomended rate if you make it to strong it to will burn the grass . Even at the correct rate you may get some translucent disclouration. This year I have just been using chemspray bindie with good results. Although it has been a bad season here for getting good results lots of things can affect your spraying. Timing is important and the weeds need to be growing to absorb the chemical. You could write a book on this subject hope this helps

Yep as Mark said you could write a book on it.
    The ChemCert AgVet course I did highlights the many varied requirements for effective application. They do give you a 400 page book on it you study with and take home.
    Early morning and late arvo spraying can be non effective. Delta T temps from BOM site needs to be within 2 to 8 degrees to be effective in your local area. Spraying on a hot dry day is a waste of product as the plant has shut down. Spraying is best at the plants vulnerable stage of growth.
    Re entry withholding period for animals after application, Selective, Non selective, Residual and Non residual Herbicides. Advangtes of Emulsifiable concentrate, Water dispersible granule, Dust, Controlled realease,Suspension concentrate, Bbrrrrrr,were does it end.

Sheeish, its a bit like that TV commercial and he asks "I just want a carton of Milk.

Getting a bit of topic, sorry, but all interesting when we talk about Weed and Feed
    I'm no expert and when I start spraying I'll be looking up this forum for what your all using.
    Cheers Garry

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paisley View Post
    Mate clover is a good sign of high nitrogen levels in the soil, I wouldn't fertilise it keep hitting it with the bindie The best thing for clover I have found is spearhead but you can only get it in 10 litres so it's a bit expensive you can use it on everything and it is residual in the soil. The guys using Kamba make sure you don't spray it on buffalo it has dicamba in it. If you do use spearhead mix it at the recomended rate if you make it to strong it to will burn the grass . Even at the correct rate you may get some translucent disclouration. This year I have just been using chemspray bindie with good results. Although it has been a bad season here for getting good results lots of things can affect your spraying. Timing is important and the weeds need to be growing to absorb the chemical. You could write a book on this subject hope this helps
    I always thought that a lawn with a lot of clover or onion weed was a sign that there is not enough nitrogen in the soil.

Very Helpful Member

clover in a lawn is usually a sign of low nitrogen as bacteria that lives in symbiosis with the clover fixes nitrogen from the air this link may explain it better http:///www.backyardnature.net/econitro.htm and yes there have been a number of hypotheses regarding increasing nitrogen and maybe also lowering phosphorus might eradicate clover
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    clover in a lawn is usually a sign of low nitrogen as bacteria that lives in symbiosis with the clover fixes nitrogen from the air this link may explain it better http:///www.backyardnature.net/econitro.htm and yes there have been a number of hypotheses regarding increasing nitrogen and maybe also lowering phosphorus might eradicate clover
    Mate when I read your post I thought you were wrong for some silly reason I thought clover meant excessive N in the soil where I picked this up from I will never know anyway I just looked up some text books and you are right.It states in one book . When the N level is not adequate, white clover or other low-growing legumes commonly invade. Strategy 3 for control states Apply a selective postemergence broadleaf herbicide before clover begins to flower in combination with increased nitrogen fertility. Do not apply herbicides when white clover is in flower or under moisture stress, as poor control will result. Ian thanks for picking me up on this I hate to give the wrong advice to anyone I still don't know why I thought it was the other way around. Oh I just got it one of my apprentices once put that answer in an exam I remember him talking about it and for some reason it stuck in my head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast