Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Have you tried Neem?

Default Have you tried Neem?

I have been looking at Neem products as a pesticide, international experience looks good. Has anyone used it or have any recommendations? Like the idea of a plant based pesticide, especially for the rising awareness of chemical usage. If ya got to kill em' make small ripples. Muchly appreciated, Nikki (Women at Work)

David Gourlay

Default Re: Have you tried Neem?

hello there, I picked up your message scrolling through the neem list on Google. WE have a web page www.neemhealthplus.com so have a look and I will answer any questions you may have about products for insects or bacterial enhancment in the soil etc.
    Regards David Gourlay

Very Helpful Member

Neem is a source of environment-friendly biopesticides. Among the isolated neem constituents, limonoids (such as Azadirachtin) are effective in insect growth-regulating activity. The unique feature of neem products is that they do not directly kill the pests, but alter the life-processing behavior in such a manner that the insect can no longer feed, breed or undergo metamorphosis.[3] However, this does not mean that the plant extracts are harmful to all insects. Since, to be effective, the product has to be ingested, only the insects that feed on plant tissues succumb. Those that feed on nectar or other insects (such as butterflies, bees, and ladybugs) hardly accumulate significant concentrations of neem products.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Eco-neem insecticide anyone using it currently and if so what do you think? We currently use confidor and pyrethrum, confidor is really effective, pyrethrum can take a couple of sprays to work. I keep hearing that confidor isn't great for long term use (rightly or wrongly) so we are looking for a decent alternative that's a little bit safer to use. Eco-neem seems to fit that bill but does it work as well as confidor?

We have just started using Neem oil at home on the wifes' hibiscus. Was using Confidor prior, but it's too early yet to say if it is as effective. Well I lied a bit, we used to use Confidor ages ago, but switched to Mallet by Nufarm - a lot cheaper in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    We have just started using Neem oil at home on the wifes' hibiscus. Was using Confidor prior, but it's too early yet to say if it is as effective. Well I lied a bit, we used to use Confidor ages ago, but switched to Mallet by Nufarm - a lot cheaper in the long term.
    Hi Troppo, let me know how it goes. I have a feeling it will need to be sprayed more often than confidor. Confidor works a treat.

Neem oil works well but is a bit slower to work than Confidor. Neem oil is a lot safer for all.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Neem oil works well but is a bit slower to work than Confidor. Neem oil is a lot safer for all.
    Cheers David, thought that might be the case.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I have used confidor a number of times and think the stuff is rubbish.
    Will never waste my money buying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I have used confidor a number of times and think the stuff is rubbish.
    Will never waste my money buying it again.
    Hi Glenn our experience with the product is that it works but i was looking for a safer option both for myself, my customers and the environment.

Usually keeps working for 3 to 4 weeks before needing another hit.

What were you using it for can you remember?