Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I shake my head in disgust

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Rockin I shake my head in disgust

To cut a long story short, I was called in to quote a lovely lady to re do all her roses, 33 of them in fact, because she was mortified after she had come home to see all her roses ruined by poor and useless workmanship.

I can not for the life of me call this Jiims person, yes a Jims person a gardener.

A Jims contractor did the work and I had to clean up after his mess. She was so upset because she enters her garden in local comps only to find her roses damaged by torn branches which looked like they were pruned by a claw of a tiger or bear...They were torn...

Each rose was so poorly done anyone who has no clue could have done better. The sad part of it all is that this client has now paid twice to get her garden back up to scratch.

It upsets me because there are some great franchisees out there and also some great indies. However most people would call the franchise people 1st because of name sake and to turn up to properties to clean their mess is frustrating more than anything. Great for me because now I have a regular client and 7 new ones beacuse she is part of a community garden group.

I have been advised that she is writting a letter of complaint...

I am passionate about my gardening and i take my business seriously.

Yes, yes, this person may have not had any experience, but to get into this industry in the 1st place, you should, actuallly no, you must know the basics of gardening. No excuse.....Period......

Default Re: I shake my head in disgust

OH YES, I have come across several who operate under a well known banner, but they still couldn't tell you at which end the shovel bites!

Knowledge is a must, if you don't have it SEEK IT!

Happy days.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

One would think a competition Gardner would do it them selves. I know a few competition Gardner. my grandmother used to be one and i tell you now there was no way any one else was touching her plants and when her knees played up she told my grandfather to did them up and put in veggies as she would not be able to stand some one not doing her garden properly.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo56 View Post
    Knowledge is a must, if you don't have it SEEK IT!

Happy days.
    Totally agree Stevo. There is a big difference between cutting something back and pruning. If I not confidant about doing a particular job I will try and learn as much about it as I can before I have to do the job, if I'm still not sure I will explain to the customer " I'm sorry but I don't have enough experience. I would rather tell you now,than do a job you would not be happy with".
    At least then they know and if they are still happy for me to do the job. I get some experience and they know it wont be perfect.

I have had a few customers teach ME how to do a few different things in the garden.
    In fact a very nice lady who is a member of these forums and got me through Indi taught me how to prune roses.

Lets hope it was not Mowerrob......
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Lets hope it was not Mowerrob......
    Ha Ha HAaaaa

No it was a customer

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Ha Ha HAaaaa

No it was a customer
    I think he was referring to the first post

Im glad she is making a complaint Jims take complaints seriously, if u get a certain amount of complaints u have to go to Melb for retraining and if u continue to get complaints u can have your franchise taken off u.

As I keep saying being a Jim Indy VIP etc doesnt mean you are anymore or less qualified .

I have taken on Jobs previous Jims had done /crucified and I have also taken on new jobs indies have done /crucified.

But im with Cranbourne Lawnmowing if u dont know how to do something do some research or ask for some help. Not much you can do once you have cut something.

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post
    I think he was referring to the first post .
    I think you might be right Rob

When u ask most ppl why they prune their roses, they dont really know. They just say coz they need pruning!
    Cheers Dean.

Very Helpful Member

i hate pruning other peoples roses they all want it done properly and you end up getting pricked by the prickles much prefer to do my own out with the multi tool a couple of swipes at each plant and 30 odd standard icebergs pruned then drag the clippings onto the lawn and mulch mow all finished in under 1 1/2 hrs
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Get a good pair cut and hold pruners and drop straight into a barrow or wheelie bin beside you,

http://www.bambergardenplanters.co.u...p_image&pID=50
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I hear you all, especially that comment of yours Cranbourne if you don't know or aren't confident research it before you begin. There's plenty of info on how to prune roses, I've found I have something to do now when my wife drags me around second hand and op shops, check the books out heaps of cheap books on gardening most are easy to read and have pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    Get a good pair cut and hold pruners and drop straight into a barrow or wheelie bin beside you,

http://www.bambergardenplanters.co.u...p_image&pID=50
    Felco No.2 for me everytime when pruning roses. Nothing else compares in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Felco No.2 for me everytime when pruning roses. Nothing else compares in my opinion.
    Felco2, as good as it gets but, overpriced.
    Ive never broken/worn out any secatuers but have lost a few pairs over the years. We now use Bacho, they,re about a third/half of the price.
    Chjeers Dean.

I have never pruned rose my self and I hope I never have to dont now how to charge for that quote\hourly...And a bunninys Fiskers make 2 types of long hadled rose prunning seaters look good....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast