Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Are you ready for warmer weather

Default Are you ready for warmer weather

Ok Guys.. are we ready for the silly season ..You know the crazy panic calls ,last minute can you help me's and rediculious requests..? Gotta love spring ..Got all your gear ready / serviced etc??

Default Re: Are you ready for warmer weather

I am getting a bit nervous actually..our winter has been really busy so being an older bugger i reckon we are going to get hammered this year..but one thing in these times ...Charge top dollar seriuosly probably a really good time to revise prices and more importantly customers

This winters been dead as a door nail for me , not expecting any work till october at the earliest,,nothings growing at all,,

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    I am getting a bit nervous actually..our winter has been really busy so being an older bugger i reckon we are going to get hammered this year..but one thing in these times ...Charge top dollar seriuosly probably a really good time to revise prices and more importantly customers
    Yea found Winter quite at first but really picking up now and I think you are right we will get hammered especially if we get a good warmer than usual week soon as we have had reasonable rain and everything is itching to grow.

Haven't had a off season at all here, I have had a full days work every day right through winter, only time off has been wet days and two days this week with a bad back. So way behind with servicing equipment and making all my trimmer racks etc which was winters projects.

Been printing and cutting my new flyers ready to start walking. Hopefully I get a good response. Can always use the work here.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I'm getting a bit nervous actually. It has been sooooo wet in the cranbourne area this winter that it has made it very hard to do a lot of lawns even on the rare sunny days we have had. The area is full of new estates that are completely water logged. Customers are quite often ending up 2 weeks overdue because you just cant put a mower over their lawns without making a complete boggy mess.
    Maybe I should start offering drainage services for next winter.

On the upside I have dropped a lot of customers that are wasting my time and picked up a lot of good ones so come springs warmer weather things are going to go crazy. So have the second honda now and new trailer just have to convince my brother to get out as an offsider over spring/ summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I'm getting a bit nervous actually. It has been sooooo wet in the cranbourne area this winter that it has made it very hard to do a lot of lawns even on the rare sunny days we have had. The area is full of new estates that are completely water logged. Customers are quite often ending up 2 weeks overdue because you just cant put a mower over their lawns without making a complete boggy mess.

On the upside I have dropped a lot of customers that are wasting my time and picked up a lot of good ones so come springs warmer weather things are going to go crazy. So have the second honda now and new trailer just have to convince my brother to get out as an offsider over spring/ summer.
    Yea know what ya mean ..My runs are all over the palce at the moment and I am attacking the more dry ones now..Warmer days comming and a little more wind will dry everything soon enough..

I've rebuilt the Rover 560 (again !!) and suped up the backup mower and snipper..

Ordered via ebay a new engine for the ride-on - got an unexpectedly good tax return. Like SCWalker I have had what is/was my best winter I can remember.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Did you go the SP?

yeah Glenno I know how you feel to much rain+cold= grass slowly grow
    But they come nice days

yes Glenn i feel for you mate ..ive been landscaping my daughter place down that way and cant believe howwet it is...its the clay crap that does not allow it to dry out...you see in our area we have sandy loam so apart from forty day and forty nights of rain nothing much stops us from mowing except the devil lol

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Did you go the SP?
    G'day Andy, no I got the 196 needed something a bit lighter. The SP would have been great but like I was saying with so many lawns being so wet I needed something lighter so I could get some of my lawns done. The 217 is a good mower but it was turning some of my lawns into bogs, sinking 2" into the mush add some more weight with the gearbox and it would have been impossible.
    I am thinking seriously about getting into Aggi drains though. I've had a bit of experience doing that sort of thing and could be a good market in it on the off season and in turn get more lawns done when it is wet.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    yes Glenn i feel for you mate ..ive been landscaping my daughter place down that way and cant believe howwet it is...its the clay crap that does not allow it to dry out...you see in our area we have sandy loam so apart from forty day and forty nights of rain nothing much stops us from mowing except the devil lol
    I know what you mean Geoff. I used to live in springvale south and couldn't believe how sandy the soil was. Even dug a hole out in my backyard once for a post to go into and couldn't believe the ground was no different at 2 and a half feet as it was on top.