Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Client Information

Default Client Information

Guys/Gals,

I know that this thread/topic has been discussed previously.
    As a remember a member posted what he gathers from clients and he was told he was asking for too much info.

But I just can't find the post topic and I've had a good look for it.

When your starting out and you need to build up an accurate record of client information as contacts are made.
    What is the normal content of information requested from the client.
    ie, Name, contact details, preferred time of contact, preferred time to visit, Mulch or catch,, etc,etc.

I haven't printed this part of my stationary yet, but need to ASAP. As tomorrow I'm visiting the Local Paper as I've now completed the artwork formatted in 5 different sizes for review tomorrow.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as what has been done successfully here towards building the client records data base.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Client Information

Every contractor is different and for me every client is different. I try to always get a name, number and address. I ask what new clients would like quoted and take it from there, sometimes the conversation goes to previous contractor sometimes it goes to "every lawn is different so I've really got to see it" (if you know what I mean), it just depends on what's important to the client.

I also make notes of important things to help at a later date like "always catch" or "put bin out" or "dog on site". Always note the price I gave on quote and what exactly was quoted (as I don't use a duplicate quote pad, probably should hey. )

When I have time I update a spreadsheet of quotes and mark the ones I didn't win/get in red so it's simple to see the ratio.

Name
    Address
    Phone no.
    Email
    Preferred contact method-phone call, email, text.
    mowing cycle- weekly cut, fortnightly, three weekly

and always put your quote in writing, especially if its more than just a mow or if its a cleanup.

Gary , i am fairly new to mowing , but what i do is a new client , look at job , i write things in a a4 note book, name adress ph no at top of page scribble down what they want done , when want done , what cycle . fortnight etc . if they want a quote i will write one out and send it ,i have written out 6 quotes , 2 for lawn job , both for my solictor, i note on my scribble how long i think it should take ,then when do job see how far out i am , then have referance for later , i just use a quote book form the newsagents with my stamp on name adress and ph and abn, if i get job and is regular i put it on the computer it on my book keeping . works for me might not for you.
    i have spent hours doing quote for cabinets , nice written quote , been beaten , his quote written out on writting paper and about 100 cheaper , go figure

All of what you are doing is fine..I add the time it takes to mow as the seasons change it can add an hour to your rounds.It saves me accidently overbooking jobs in summer..I also add things like fertilize times and keep records of any poisions used on the property eg Roundup etc.THIS IS IMPORTANT.(I have been blamed for poisioning plants and it was not me -found out the neigbour used a strong bindi spray and it got all over my customers garden in the wind.)
    Take note of anything odd around the property and anything that is broken..I also add this to invoices..Especially new customers.As a lawnie you get blamed from scrached letter boxes to broken windows.

I do something like this:
    name
    address
    ph number
    and what they need to do and when and how often....

all good advice ..me firstly quote and always ..always put it in writing..standard quote form ( size of 110 by 220 mm envelope
    ) quote has standard logo and some words pre printed like cycle , catch/no catch remove clippings off site , areas to mow etc..
    Additional conditions hand wriiten with price and for a specific time..only when i get the job then i ask all the stuff like phone numbers , email, method of payment , etc

Thanks,for the individual replys.

Great information as to what is consisdered normal within the Industry.
    I do have the Business Stamp already plus quote and invoice stationary. Actually used it today.
    Wattle GC, I've done the Tafe AgVet ChemCert Training and understand the good advice re record keeping and spray drift etc.

Will take onboard your experiences guys, Thanks.
    Cheers Garry