Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Thanks BlackBear

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Thanks BlackBear

Thanks for stopping the other day to have a chat with me John.
    Have been thinking a lot about what you said to do with the business and makes a lot of sense. I hope you didn't think I wasn't listening just couldn't help but wonder what my customer was thinking. Standing around talking to some bloke out the front, he seems a bit paranoid. Still a bit scared to run an add in the paper in spring though. Very smart thinking though.
    cheers Glenn

Default Re: Thanks BlackBear

And that is the value of Indy. Well done BB
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

You have not seen any years like we are likely to have this year ( hope i havnt shot my mouth off too soon!) so use your money wisely on advertising and be prepared to have to ANSWER THE PHONE while working to win new clients. When you start getting to many clients or too far behind in work then start worrying- until then get plenty of rest - you will need it. Just also remember to spend a little extra time qualifying them over the phone because you can spend a lot of time quoting "timewasters"

Also Glenn if you get too much pass it my way - seems my rates are at the lower end!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Thanks for stopping the other day to have a chat with me John.

Have been thinking a lot about what you said to do with the business and makes a lot of sense. I hope you didn't think I wasn't listening just couldn't help but wonder what my customer was thinking. Standing around talking to some bloke out the front, he seems a bit paranoid. Still a bit scared to run an add in the paper in spring though. Very smart thinking though.
    cheers Glenn

Very Helpful Member

also not wanting to hijack the thread but with spring fast approaching make sure you are changing the frequency of your run ie:4 wks to 2 or 3 i have changed most clients this week from 4 to 3 and next visit they will be 2
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    also not wanting to hijack the thread but with spring fast approaching make sure you are changing the frequency of your run ie:4 wks to 2 or 3 i have changed most clients this week from 4 to 3 and next visit they will be 2
    I hear ya Ian. most customers are now going to 3 weekly and some are already back to 2 weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I hear ya Ian. most customers are now going to 3 weekly and some are already back to 2 weekly.
    Hasn't happened around here yet, can't wait!

And on the topic, I too can't speak highly enough about Blackbear, thanks again John for your time and wisdom.

Good call guys to re schedule runs now and get into the rythm.. Spring is fast approaching and with the good rain fall we have had a warm week or two will catch us all by surprise and there is nothing worse than chasing your tail..Here in Sydney today its 23 degrees so its good we think about this now..

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wattle GC View Post
    Good call guys to re schedule runs now and get into the rythm.. Spring is fast approaching and with the good rain fall we have had a warm week or two will catch us all by surprise and there is nothing worse than chasing your tail..Here in Sydney today its 23 degrees so its good we think about this now..
    here in Melbourne today it got to 15.8 but it will get warmer and best if you make the move now 3 weeks brings us to the middle of September and this is when the grass usually starts to take off

Andy don't wait for the client to ask make the 1st move otherwise i learnt they won't ask until it's growing like crazy and in melbourne you will mow the lawn at 4 weeks and think it doesn't need doing and then the warm weather comes and you will be surprised how fast it starts growing
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

here in Melbourne today it got to 15.8 but it will get warmer and best if you make the move now 3 weeks brings us to the middle of September and this is when the grass usually starts to take off

Andy don't wait for the client to ask make the 1st move otherwise i learnt they won't ask until it's growing like crazy and in melbourne you will mow the lawn at 4 weeks and think it doesn't need doing and then the warm weather comes and you will be surprised how fast it starts growing
    I'm hearing ya, let them know in the next couple of weeks that this will be there last mow at the extended intervals and by mid Sept bring them all back to fortnightly and tri weekly. Thanks for the heads up, it's good to know this sort of stuff rather than find out doing cleanups for regulars at regular prices!

I was telling TLG about this, I had a client I did an initial property clean up for, they were very inquisitive to say the least and I quoted initial and regular service and with the amount of discussion and written quote it was very clear what was expected by both parties for the price. This week was week 4 since initial job and I contacted them to confirm day and rough time, they asked if I could contact them in another 4 weeks um... sorry contact me when your ready for a re-quote. I could see it was going to be a case of string along and while it would be great area to get work in, I think I'll survive without it.

I have already started putting lawns back from 3 weeks to 2 weeks. I don't go to 4 weeks during winter. I am get a hell of a lot of calls for overgrown yards. The weeds are really starting to get a spurt on.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have already started putting lawns back from 3 weeks to 2 weeks. I don't go to 4 weeks during winter. I am get a hell of a lot of calls for overgrown yards. The weeds are really starting to get a spurt on.
    I'm with you Bluey i don't go 4 weekly in winter either. Prefer either 2 weekly throughout the year or 3 weekly year round and i'll let them skip a winter cut or i'll take a week off in the middle of winter. Unless they are 4/6 weekly cut year round in which case they are charged extra for the extended time in between cuts. I am finding the 2 weekly jobs are starting to come along at the minute which is a nice sign of good times ahead.
    It is going to be a crazy spring which is lovely after the dry years we have had down here in Melbourne of late.