Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Increasing Price.

Question Increasing Price.

I've flagged at least 5 regulars that I reckon aren't priced correctly compared to the rest. I've given notice to one that on the next visit the price will be $5 more on their last invoice and will follow it up with a phone call before next visit to test this method. What works? I'd like to keep them but feel irked that I haven't priced them correctly compared to others.

Default Re: Increasing Price.

I just write on the invoice or email " as of.......date, price will increase to $$$$ per cut". If they don't normally get an invoice I will just tell them what I am doing. I don't give a reason.

Andy we all in our time and still do I guess under quote a lawn or whatever ,our rule is price rise every 3 to 5 years at least 5 dollars ( thats for our 40 dollars jobs
    0..but if you have only had them 1 year i would say its a bit harsh to increase 5 bucks unless you wanna get rid of them or have enough already in the stable..maybe a smaller rise each year but from my humble experience customers don't like you saying price rise all the time but a delay in time normally brings them around ....obviously bigger the amount per visit the bigger the rise naturally

Sounds like that's easiest Stripes, Good point Geoff, I'd hate to lose them but I think I gotta do it so the are all on par.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Andy, I've just increased the prices on a few of my customers lately. I started with the ones that I really didn't care if they liked it or not. The rest I just explained that I cant keep doing their lawns for a price that does not benefit my business and I don't want to drop my standard of work. So far so good, they are not bad customers they are just on prices that are too cheap from when I first started. Surprisingly most of them were only too happy to pay $5 more the ones that aren't good luck to them.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Rockin Re: Increasing Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Sounds like that's easiest Stripes, Good point Geoff, I'd hate to lose them but I think I gotta do it so the are all on par.
    Andy, you should get a feel about your clients I would think after a year. I put my prices up just before spring and for me this method has worked fine.

I have only lost a couple who were stingy only to call me back months later wanting me to back because the "other" gardener was not doing a good job, blah, blah...we all hear that all the time, no doubt...

Quality not quantity is the key. Collectively we all lose clients annually but the dollars are in the jobs worth several K if you can get it. That would make up for more than 1/2 a dozen clients annually just from one job.

The key is to look at your annual income each year and see the graph rise each year by bare minimum of at least 5-10%. If it is your business is doing great. By increasing your rates you are obligated to continue to supply a great service. A win win for all involved.

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Andy, I've just increased the prices on a few of my customers lately. I started with the ones that I really didn't care if they liked it or not. The rest I just explained that I cant keep doing their lawns for a price that does not benefit my business and I don't want to drop my standard of work. So far so good, they are not bad customers they are just on prices that are too cheap from when I first started. Surprisingly most of them were only too happy to pay $5 more the ones that aren't good luck to them.
    yep, yep, yep....

Absolutely Glenno...

Theres no need to lose any customers with price increases , if you have some that the price is not really that bad, might be close to others all whatever reason, if theres any objections just keep the price the same but tell them you will have to review the price in 6 to 12 months time,,

Then you can put it up and they dont usually complain,,