Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel mixture discrepancies

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Fuel mixture discrepancies

I have been using a fuel mixture bottle for measuring the amount of 2 stroke oil to add to 5 litres of unleaded for a while now. But today I bought a different type of 2 stroke in a 1 litre bottle that has the amount of ml on the side. I poured 200ml according to the oil bottle into the mixture bottle and had a 50ml difference. I don't know how much of an effect the wrong mixture is going to have on my 2 stroke equipment especially at this sort of discrepancy but will definitely be finding out which one is accurate if either is.
    I cant believe that a product meant for mixing fuels can be out that much in the first place.

Default Re: Fuel mixture discrepancies

Was it higher or lower?

if the mark made 250ml of oil that would put you at 20-1

if the mark made 150ml of oil that would put you at 33-1

(Hope my maths and typing is right. )

Personally I trust the mixing bottle, here's my method for 25-1:

Pour oil to 200ml mark in mixing bottle and pour into 5L cannister.

Then pour petrol to 1000ml mark in mixing bottle five times from a 10L fuel cannister. Straight petrol stays in 10L can and 5L can is always only for 2-stroke.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Was it higher or lower?

if the mark made 250ml of oil that would put you at 20-1

if the mark made 150ml of oil that would put you at 33-1

(Hope my maths and typing is right. )

Personally I trust the mixing bottle, here's my method for 25-1:

Pour oil to 200ml mark in mixing bottle and pour into 5L cannister.

Then pour petrol to 1000ml mark in mixing bottle five times from a 10L fuel cannister. Straight petrol stays in 10L can and 5L can is always only for 2-stroke.
    Gday Andy Its 25-1 that i'm after but both containers are in ml so I'm worried about 1 or the other being out. Problem is ,,,,which one
    Last edited by Cranbourne Lawnmowing; 20-08-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Just use the same container to measure both and it won't matter - same ratio

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

try using a medicine cup to check i use an old listerine 250ml bottle i marked at 100,150&200 ml to measure the oil then mix in the 5lt container
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Cool Re: Fuel mixture discrepancies

Does it really matter if you use the wrong ratio petrol mix? I have been using 50:1 mix in my chinese 25:1 two stroke machines, no problems to date.And a lot less smoke. I read somewhere that the real problem is the temperature on the day of use. Not quite sure which was required but i think on hot days you needed more oil in the mix(i think). Some people just use a 33:1 mix, or thereabouts, in everything. The important thing is that there is oil in the petrol because the oil lubricates the engine. try using straight petrol in a two stroke machine...very interesting...the engine heats up, metal melts and bang, it seizes up.

As long as you are running a "Richer" mixture all it will do is be smoky and eventually fowl the plug and stop.. No harm done.. BUT run it to lean (not enough oil in the fuel) then it will cook itself and sieze/destroy itself.....Do what I do.. run 4 stroke..

Man 4 Stroke Hedge trimmers aint good to Heavy and bulky thats my opionion...

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Man 4 Stroke Hedge trimmers aint good to Heavy and bulky thats my opionion...
    Can be and i have tried a few..I found the Husky has the best balance and heaps of grunt..It is lighter than some 2 strokes ..The attachments are reliable and the machine perfoms effortlessly..

Quote Originally Posted by Wattle GC View Post
    As long as you are running a "Richer" mixture all it will do is be smoky and eventually fowl the plug and stop.. No harm done.. BUT run it to lean (not enough oil in the fuel) then it will cook itself and sieze/destroy itself.....Do what I do.. run 4 stroke..

This is ok on a full 2 stroke but don't do it on a 4mix or whatever the shindi equivalent is, as its causes a carbon build up on the valve seats and then they don't seal. 4mix's must be run right on 50:1 with high quality oil.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    Does it really matter if you use the wrong ratio petrol mix? I have been using 50:1 mix in my chinese 25:1 two stroke machines, no problems to date.And a lot less smoke. I read somewhere that the real problem is the temperature on the day of use. Not quite sure which was required but i think on hot days you needed more oil in the mix(i think). Some people just use a 33:1 mix, or thereabouts, in everything. The important thing is that there is oil in the petrol because the oil lubricates the engine. try using straight petrol in a two stroke machine...very interesting...the engine heats up, metal melts and bang, it seizes up.
    the oil determines the ratio of mixture not the machine. yes some machines will say 25 to 1 but that brand of machines oil will be a 25 to 1 mix if you use a differant brand of oil say the husky oil which is a 50 to 1 mix there will be no damage to the machines. All there is to a two stroke engine is 2 roller bearings and 2 piston rings that require lubrication not much to it

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker View Post
    This is ok on a full 2 stroke but don't do it on a 4mix or whatever the shindi equivalent is, as its causes a carbon build up on the valve seats and then they don't seal. 4mix's must be run right on 50:1 with high quality oil.
    Thats right .. dont run oil in a 4 stroke fuel machine.. They dont perform well at all besides it would be very smoky..

The old bloke at the mower shop where i bought my shingu brushcutter and blower reckons ALL 2 stroke machines in the Aussie conditions should be run on 25:1. Not so sure about that meself......I found them to be blowing way too much smoke. So I am trialling 33:1 mix now. Seems ok so far and had a couple of big jobs on that warm day last week.....Any thought on this?

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

I run all mine with a 40:1 or 50:1 ratio & never seemed to stuff any of my equipment.
    Thats shindaiwa, Echo, Tanaka, Husky etc etc. Just bought some of that U-BEAUT expensive 2 stroke oil -(opti 2 from memory) so looking forward to cleaning exhaust ports on all equip after this old stuff is used and NEVER having to do them again -APARENTLY!

what kind of two stroke oil are you using?
    if it says on the OIL container 50:1 or 2% mixture then using it at 50 to 1 is fine you can run it at 25 to 1 but thats pointless as all your doing is burning your oil away and going to be carbon cleaning your exhast ports sooner rather than later remeber that smokey isnt really good because you want the oil to stick to the metal bearings and cylinder walls befor it gos into the combustion camber and gets ignited. Another thing to add is some of the cheaper two stroke oils out there usually for sale at bunnings and service stations or kmart will say to use at the ratio on the equipment in my opinion these are poor quility and use this method to cover them selfs for there products poor lubricating properties

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast