Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Ramps for Ride on Gear, my experience

Default Ramps for Ride on Gear, my experience

Repco Fathers Day Catalogue.(front page)

If anyone is considering to buy the curved steel 638kg rated as a pair trailer ramps for a Ride On. For $149 instead of the usual $250 paid for sturdy alloy curved ramps

They are excessively curved at the top and actually will not allow a ride on to go on a trailer. I'm not talking just by a few mm's but by heaps.
    I've have spent two days re engineering and only just finished them properly 2 hrs ago. Including angle grinding a shape to fit the trailers rear leading edge with tail gate down.
    Eventually had to cut three cross sections of the top excessive curve were it starts to flatten out at the claws about 300mm length in total to decrease the aggressive curve from going up too high then down. Which almost made the mower deck go airbourne. Then re claw it with flush claws, not raised channel claws.
    Then reshape and attach the cut of section to the lower part of the ramp were it touches the road. This smooths out the road to ramp entry angle and raises the back ride on wheels by 60mm at the point when the front wheels are contacting the trailer.

Result is now I have total clearance for the mower with full normal clearance to spare.

Was not very happy with them until now as they now work properly.
    Guess I've only paid $149 and saved some coin, but it nearly wasn't worth the effort as attempt one failed, attempted two failed re clearance. So I figured I've nothing to lose so the 3 rungs got cut and it still didn't work until I placed the cut off portion to the part were contact is made with the road.

Edit, the joins at the base are actually stronger now as metal in overlaped by two rungs and bolted througherly.
    Guess I confused all with advice/remedy.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Ramps for Ride on Gear, my experience

You mean these ones? Maybe that's why they hiding them under the bike.

Default Re: Ramps for Ride on Gear, my experience

Yep,

Out of pic frame they curve to the extreme and become a raised hump in between front and rear wheels.
    Ok for everything but ride ons. But mines very smick now so I'll forgive the poor design for our purpose.
    Cheers Garry