Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Yukon multitool

Default Re: Yukon multitool

Just home for lunch and to grab a bit more gear.

Tried using the Yukon tool on the pruning job I'm doing today.

Will be doing a review of it's performance tonight after repackaging it for a refund.

Seems real world performance is miles away from whether it starts and runs straight out of the box.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZWAY-5-1...item4aae2db639

Found this today. Who's gunna try it out and save me wasted money lol? Actually looks ok, and has a pole extension. Looks like I wont be buying the Yukon.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZWAY-5-1...item4aae2db639

Found this today. Who's gunna try it out and save me wasted money lol? Actually looks ok, and has a pole extension. Looks like I wont be buying the Yukon.
    Looks like the same dog with different spots and a bigger price tag.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Very Helpful Member

but this one comes with a vaild engine and meets European and American starndards i always have confidence when buying from sites that have good spelling
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Funny isn't it, ever heard you get what you pay for. There is only 2 of these types of machines worth buying for contractors either the stihl combi or the shindaiwa. If these machines are over a grand do you really think one for 2 hundred is going to be any good I know when you are starting out money is tight but buying crap means you will buy twice

Just home now after picking up the noise. Totally stuffed. A good multi-tool would have been great today. Instead I think I've been up and down my 8ft ladder about 250 times.

Here 'tis then......

Yukon 49cc Multi Tool Review - My thoughts and opinion.

GOOD POINTS

*The incredible feeling of excitement and anticipation when it was delivered.
    * The engine-housing is red like a Ferrari.
    * It started.

BAD POINTS

*The incredible feeling of disappointment and hopelessness after about 1/2 an hour of struggling with it this morning.
    *It's heavy compared to all of my other tools.
    *The attachments and handles all spin out of position regardless of how tight bolts were done up.
    *After about the third restart of the morning to try it on another part of the job it took about a dozen pulls to start. It would idle but not rev and just died.
    *The stop switch would not work to turn it off (when it was running).
    *The hedge trimmer attachment and chainsaw attachment should be repackaged and sold in the toy department at KMart for Christmas Stocking fillers. They are so lightweight and little in physical size.

You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson by now about buying cheap on eBay but I was really hoping, based on other reviews, that this one would be different.

NLALM if I had the spare cash a Stihl or Shindy etc would be the first thing I'd buy.

Luckily I had my Kawasaki 750mm hedge trimmer to do the job with, albeit with a lot more effort and use of ladder.

I never expected much with mine, I agree with PaulG regarding the negative points, however I have made my money back on it by not using a ladder on both pruning and trimming jobs. I brought it thinking if I can use it every now and again and not as a primary tool it will do the job. Also agree with NLALM you get what you pay for.

Thats the thing paul we would all have the best it comes down to dollars. Paul where did you get the kawasaki I'm after one with a 750mm blade and yep the stihl is bloody dear I think echo do one to but I like kawasaki engines

I can't stress to any of you guys enough any tool that keeps both feet on the ground is worth it no matter what the price. I fell off a ladder and I wasn't up very high I was pulling a vine off the side of a house the ladder slipped broke both wrists 4 months no work and im still suffering today and that was 5 years ago latest thing is they want to pull the plate and screws out of my left wrist but I can't afford a couple of months off. So if a grand is going to keep you on the ground it is a small price to pay.

That's a very good point mate but I don't know if any extended trimmer would have got through what I was doing today. I know the blades on my Kwaka need a sharpen but that Pittosporum is some decent stuff to cut through when it's a bit woody.

Re the Kawasaki - I got it from the local dealer here in Toowoomba, From memory it cost about $ 750 - $800. Very good unit.

I've used the big Stihl unit and I think they cut a bit better than the Kawasaki but at around $1100 to $1200 they're just too expensive.

This is the one I have - Kawasaki KHT750D

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/index.php...11&product=180

If you shop from the USA at all they can be bought for around $280 to $300 + freight.

There's a few around Newcastle who should stock them according to the ByNorm website.

http://www.bynorm.com.au/kawasaki-dealer-locator/

the problem with all multi-tools is the weight, not so apparent when using the pole-saw but when doing extended hedging it's bloody murder, particularly with the larger cc cheapies. For long-pole hedging you want a LIGHT machine 25cc or under - I use a makita 2510 but it is only brushcutter length (which to my mind is all that's bearable after a short period of time)

x 10 if your extending out to 4m it is hard work. They are all heavy. Some more so.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    the problem with all multi-tools is the weight, not so apparent when using the pole-saw but when doing extended hedging it's bloody murder, particularly with the larger cc cheapies. For long-pole hedging you want a LIGHT machine 25cc or under - I use a makita 2510 but it is only brushcutter length (which to my mind is all that's bearable after a short period of time)
    Hi Redeye, have to agree/disagree here.
    I find that the balance of the long hedgecutter outweighs the slight weight disadvantage.
    Although as u said, the larger cc cheapies dont justify their weight. Also they're (from my experience) carp.
    Also, dont get sucked into believing if u use a pole hedger on larger hedges, u dont need a ladder.
    1, u wont be able to reach over anything wider than the blade, & 2, u wont be able to see what your doing with any degree of accuracy.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Also, dont get sucked into believing if u use a pole hedger on larger hedges, u dont need a ladder.
    1, u wont be able to reach over anything wider than the blade, & 2, u wont be able to see what your doing with any degree of accuracy.
    Cheers Fred.
    This exactly what I found today. I was still up and down the ladder a lot for the short length of time I was using the extended hedge trimmer. The small length of the blade was very frustrating when you're used to doing big sweeps with a traditional hedge trimmer. The top of the hedge I did today was 4 to 5 feet wide in parts.

too true fred - hence the ladder racks, if I can get close enough I run aluminium racks the full length of the ute which makes life easier, also carry one of those multi ladder combos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast