Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA mower on the market

Default USA mower on the market

Has anyone seen or had any experience with these new mowers on the market? self-propelled 22"inch 6.5hp b & s.DOV 750 .I think the brand is MTD?
    They are popping up on ebay and sales websites. Sounds like a good buy.

Default Re: USA mower on the market

GRAP...........

Just had a look at the one for sale on Ebay. A bit different from the usual stuff on sale in Australia. Big wheels, 12 and 8 inch. Seems to have a lot of plastic parts...not sure of the quality of the plastic. B&S motor is ok but from my experience B&S don't last as long as Honda motors. Steel chassis a plus because its light but won't last as long as alloy. I'd want to see and use one before I buy off internet. Signs of the times we should see a lot more of this stuff advertised on the internet, especially if the shiiping can be refined we'll get a lot of this stuff shipped straight to us from the factory in china, but being sold to us by some freckled faced computer geek whose office is a high rise apartment.

My advice would be DON'T BUY THAT RUBBISH. I bought one of these http://www.bbta.com.au/lawn-mowers-c-21.html for $590 which looks basically the same. First problem I found with it was that it doesn't appear to have any fuel filter. After about 20 minutes mowing it flooded badly and wouldn't start. Felt like the motor had seized. Turned out to be a tiny bit of plastic had found it's way into the carby stopping the valve from closing. And by the way briggs and stratton will have nothing to do with these motors. So basically you have no warranty. And the seller won't have a bar of it either. Anyway i put a filter between the tank and the carby and never had a problem with the motor again. However......

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

The next thing to go was the gearbox. It got stuck ON and I couldn't stop it. Bloody dangerous. I asked them to send a replacement gearbox and they said check the cable and the belt etc. Idiots. The gearbox was and still is buggered. So I ripped it out and used it as a push mower for a while. Not too bad but if ya put the cutting height lower than about the 3rd highest setting, the deck digs into the grass and rips the lawn apart. Also it is absolutely atrocious cutting damp grass either using the catcher or the side chute. The catcher bag is mostly plastic, even where it hooks onto the mower, and it's worn out after 3 months. The deck itself is about the thickness of a tin can. I can see where rocks have almost come through the top in a few places. . . . Having said that though the motor is actually pretty good. Plenty of power, good fuel economy and starts first pull every time. Thinking of putting it on a 19" deck or something if I can pick one up from somewhere.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Thanks guys. I thought it was too good to be true. After searching around the net, i found that all the issues you guys have mentioned above are common. There seems to be allot of complaints about them. The guy on ebay selling them informed me the shipping to Sydney is $40.00.. I think there are going to be heaps of this crap from China comming our way.

honda engines are made in china...

i'd be more concerned buying a mower off ebay

Honda engines are made with jap parts and assembled in China huge difference .

Cheap labour

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

snap. learn something new everyday cheers

Sometimes the stuff off ebay is from a factory or shop and comes with a warrantee. Ive allways checked first before buying off ebay. I too have been burnt by some backyard cheapie selling crap on ebay..

I bought some "genuine honda air filters and wheels" on ebay the quality was disapointing..definatly not the same as from a honda dealer..but they did do the job for about a couple of weeks..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

My dream mower is the John Deere reel mower (on left, click on 180C or 220C or 260C).

Here's a used one from eBay. With these kind of prices (Aussie dollar being strong) you'd be stupid to buy locally (MEY reel mower, etc).

looks very plasticky compared to aussie made machines, and postage from US would be a killer weight wise I'd imagine

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

plus you would need to check if the warranty applies
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast