Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Anyone doing edges/hedges in Sydney that I could possibly watch/learn a bit from?

Default Anyone doing edges/hedges in Sydney that I could possibly watch/learn a bit from?

I am located around the Gladesville area in Sydney and looking to learn a bit more about hedges and edges. I purchased a cheap little Star Products edger from ebay to tide me over but it really isn't that flexible (you probably all know that already anyway) and I am looking to move towards the Atom style edgers in the future.

I really like the appearance of a well cut edge but if possible would like to try and hook up with some more experienced operators (I am only new to the game) and see how the pro's go about it. I wouldn't get in the way at all, just rock up to where you may be working and observe and possible ask a couple of quick questions at the end but taking up very little if any of your time.

If there is anyone located in the Sydney region who wouldn't mind me coming along to check out you in action please let me know. I am equally keen to learn a bit more about hedge trimming as well.

Thanks.
    Chris

Default Re: Anyone doing edges/hedges in Sydney that I could possibly watch/learn a bit from?

Regarding the Star Products edger, what do you mean by it not being flexible? Can't get around corners?? I was thinking i'd throw $200 at one if it can cut a straight edge??

Talking Re: Anyone doing edges/hedges in Sydney that I could possibly watch/learn a bit from?

You can throw $200 at me! I will cut straight edges & do it for 2 hrs for that kind of money
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Regarding the Star Products edger, what do you mean by it not being flexible? Can't get around corners?? I was thinking i'd throw $200 at one if it can cut a straight edge??

Default Re: Anyone doing edges/hedges in Sydney that I could possibly watch/learn a bit from?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    You can throw $200 at me! I will cut straight edges & do it for 2 hrs for that kind of money
    Hopefully it'll last longer than 2hrs. Might charge you out at a higher rate you're happy to turn up to do say 5 or 10 mins at a time aren't you? You do all the hard work and I take all the glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    For that kind of money($200) you could also get Geoff for 15mins.

The Star Products edger is only good for straight lines, at least that's my thoughts anyway. It seems pretty reliable and sturdy, just no good when you have to start turning corners. This is where I think the Atom would be superior?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnut View Post
    The Star Products edger is only good for straight lines, at least that's my thoughts anyway. It seems pretty reliable and sturdy, just no good when you have to start turning corners. This is where I think the Atom would be superior?
    Thanks for that.

is that one the 3 wheeler edgers they sell at bunning with the copy honda motor on it? If it is then you can do anything with the 3 wheeled edgers just its obviously different in design. I use a 3 wheel dandf edger when using on straight edges i tip it a little bit towards the edge so its on 2 wheels just makes it easier to adjusts the depth and if someone walks near i tip back on 3 wheels and the blade comes out of the lawn. When approching a tight corner i lean it on the front wheels and curl it around the corner. Hard to explain but ive got about a gazillion hours using them so i have had plenty of practise heres mine http://www.mowmaster.com.au/index.ph...ment&Itemid=55

I rarely use my atom lately, just turn my whippy on its side - practice at home/friends/neighbors, I use 3.3mm string

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

It is obviously common when doing edges to be scraping up against the curb (am I right) which results in a lot of noise and sparks. My question is, is it possible to do damage to concrete edging if you are not careful?

Interesting note about using 3.3mm line on your brushcutter. I recently started using the 2.5mm stuff and noticed a massive difference in its cutting force. I might give some of the thicker stuff a go. Thanks for the heads up.

the only way ive seen damage thats visable is when you aproch a L in the paving eventually hitting it enough times cause a grove to form in the paver. Ive had a customer complain once about it to me even though it was her previous contractor that done the damage but i just chipped out the concrete holding the paver in and flip it over and concreted it back in with some ready mix took about 10 minutes. I only really use my edger on over grown edges or really good customers 95% of the lawns i do i use my brushcutter on the side with the 3.3mm diamond cord. Takes a bit of practise to get good at it and quik at it but a customer wouldnt be able to tell the difference between using the edger and whipper and i save edger blades and time.

It is obviously common when doing edges to be scraping up against the curb (am I right) which results in a lot of noise and sparks. My question is, is it possible to do damage to concrete edging if you are not careful?

Interesting note about using 3.3mm line on your brushcutter. I recently started using the 2.5mm stuff and noticed a massive difference in its cutting force. I might give some of the thicker stuff a go. Thanks for the heads up.

Bit of a tip.. Depending on your edger and I mostly use a husky multitool edger - you can tilt the blade slightly towards the grass and this will minimise edge strike and give a more bevelled cut...

Yes you can use the larger cord in the snipper but make sure you have the power to drive it as the larger line will take up a noticable amount of power (especially in long grass) and i would not use it on couch turf until you are experianced and confident enough other wise if you slip you will gouge out the edge and this can be made worse with larger cord and underpowered machines..Be careful .. practice around a council park before you let yourself loose with this one..

3 wheel edgers can go around corners. Ive been using the Victa tilt a cut for ages. Depends on the blade too.
    The straight blade is perfect for corners.
    Everyone has their own choice of course.
    Just place the blade 1 mil between the grass & the concrete. Set the blade into the grass by around 1cm deep. (this will stop the blade travelling onto the concrete.)
    With allot of 3 wheeler edgers, they have an arrow on the top of the blade casing. You use this as the guide.
    If you set the blade to just skimming the top of the grass, you will run onto the concrete and damage it.

I am located around the Gladesville area in Sydney and looking to learn a bit more about hedges and edges. I purchased a cheap little Star Products edger from ebay to tide me over but it really isn't that flexible (you probably all know that already anyway) and I am looking to move towards the Atom style edgers in the future.

I really like the appearance of a well cut edge but if possible would like to try and hook up with some more experienced operators (I am only new to the game) and see how the pro's go about it. I wouldn't get in the way at all, just rock up to where you may be working and observe and possible ask a couple of quick questions at the end but taking up very little if any of your time.

If there is anyone located in the Sydney region who wouldn't mind me coming along to check out you in action please let me know. I am equally keen to learn a bit more about hedge trimming as well.

Thanks.
    Chris
    Hi there jumpnut, We can make a time if you like so you can watch me do edging.
    I do a lady's lawns and edge allot for her in Yagoona.
    I just did her lawns today, so they are not due for around a few more weeks.
    Let me know if your still interested.