Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Accounting Lawn Mowing Business

Default Online Accounting Lawn Mowing Business

Anyone use an Online Accounting system. MYOB have one now!
    Ive been having a little trouble with MYOB on my Mac and figure it would be much safer if everything was online. I also like that I can link it to my bank making it easier to figure out whos paid, expenses etc.

MYOB is $25/mth and Xero is about $30 or $50 (i cant figure whats going on with xero with amount of accounts or something)
    I realise even $25/mth isnt really cheap but for peace of mind and ease of use, it may be worth the cost.

Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think...

http://myob.com.au/products/small-bu...-1257828367166

and
    http://www.xero.com/

Default Re: Online Accounting

Hi Mick,

Ever get the feeling that sometimes you are paying to add an extra cog in the wheel and make your life more complex than it should be?

personally, I would hate to have my account details and info offsite and in some one elses care...regardless of confidentiality assurances. I now use mac...it rocks and is so much more secure! so i have migrated my accounts from Gopher to money (its a simple and cheap program) cost me about $50 bucks (thats a one off cost). My accounts are in good order and my accountant thinks i am being an over achiever. Oh and the program is not perfect but neither was MYOB when i used it or gopher...but they were just as good

When u get down to it, your basic accounting you will have to do yourself no matter how the package is sold to you. You will have to check and audit what is done automatically just to make sure its is correct. So get a handle on what you need your accounts program to do before you buy or outsource your accounting.

Oh and if you spend the bucks tell us how it goes
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Hi Tree, Im ok with MYOB, its just that somethings happened and I have to keep using Time Machine to get the program to load properly. Its not a huge deal, just makes me worry a little.
    Its a good program though, been using it for a few years now.

Thinking about it, $25/mths will add up pretty quickly and a cost thats not really necessary.
    Im just sort of thinking out loud and want others, like yours opinions!

Is that Microsoft Money?

I use Sassu. Its an online accounting program and it has been great. Very very easy to use and match up this with the bank. $25 per month. I looked at xero at $50 per month but i liked sassu better. I was using erecord before which I thought was ok but changed over and have made things so much easier.

Cheers Rick

Both Xero and saasu have been discussed already - http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...?t=5510&page=7

saasu is a great product - and in coming months will have bank feeds - where bank statement lines will be automatically injected daily from banks.

Xero already has bank feeds and is more advanced that saasu - I love this product - however upgrades to saasu that are currently being rolled out will close the gap.

Xero does not have inventory, but saasu does - likely feew if any of you need to track trading stock.
    Xero does not have payroll, but saasu does. There are several third party payroll tracking service providers that integrate seamlessly with Xero, such as epayroll and paycycle. These are free for first employee.

There is another player in the web-based field - Reach Accounting.
    At $25/month with guaranteed no price rises for 24 months

For advanced functions and ease of use, I recommend Xero, but saasu is also an excellent product. If you were shown how to use the reconcile bank and bank rules features - you'd rather be on Xero than saasu at present, however again, saasu are about to release advanced features that will enhance bank statament imports and also bank feeds.

saasu cost $25/month
    Xero cost $49/month (however for the client managed Xero I can provide Indi members for $35/month)

Want the advantages of web-based (off site storage, access anywhere, etc...) but love your QuickBooks?
    Consider the QuickBooks Online. This is the enterprise version with ALL the fruit, but hosted on Reckon's servers.
    Cost $275/year. I set up three clients on this and they love it - but as with all web based services, you want a good, reliable ADSL connection.
    I got one QB online service available at reduced $250

As for MYOB - I hate it and won't use it except to migrate existing MYOB clients to something else.

Xero have several years up on MYOB, QB and Reach in the web-based accounting space, and they continue to invest heavily in its ongoing development, evident also by the growing array of third party services that integrate with it.

Whichever company you choose,. MYOB, QB, Reach, saasu or Xero - going web-based is a step in the right direction
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Hi Mick,

No its not a microsoft product its from www.jumsoft.com/money as i said its basic, but im rocking along with it. As with all of these things its how well u take to the program and how it overlaps with what you have used....but no complaints and its a Mac product not a crossed over to mac from pc if you know what i mean
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Glad to see I'm not alone,once you go mac you'll never go back
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

I forgot about this thread, I started!

Anyway,
    Ive looked at most of these online accounting sites and really, not sure if Im keen.

MYOB does "Item" invoices when I want Service. I cannot find a way to change it! I also cannot see a way to edit the invoice like adding payment options etc.

Xero is priced to high and I dont need anything to complicated.

Saasu is just to slow to work with and really not very nice to look at (complicated looking)

So yep, looks like Im sticking to First Edge for now!

Default Xero Online Accounting

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I forgot about this thread, I started!

Anyway,
    Ive looked at most of these online accounting sites and really, not sure if Im keen.

MYOB does "Item" invoices when I want Service. I cannot find a way to change it! I also cannot see a way to edit the invoice like adding payment options etc.

Xero is priced to high and I dont need anything to complicated.

Saasu is just to slow to work with and really not very nice to look at (complicated looking)

So yep, looks like Im sticking to First Edge for now!
    Saasu isn't built to look pretty - but is powerful and reliable - medical suppliers and large organisations rely on it

While Xero has advanced functionality, it really is the world's easiest accounting program. Nobody to date has accepted my offer to supply the Xero client managed product at $35/month - $14 less than retail.
    If you bought MYOB or Quickbooks, the cost would average $25 per month, but paid annually up front.
    You would gladly pay $49/month for Xero if you used it 60 days.

What's your time worth to you? At $35/month, you need only save 10 minutes per week for the cost to be worth it.
    Cost aside - the convenience of a hassle free and painless experience in doing your books is worth the subscription.

But I'm just a professional bookkeeper - what would I know?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Glass, spare me the attitude with the, "But I'm just a professional bookkeeper - what would I know?"
    Im not a book keeper and Im sure Im not alone in thinking these programs are over complicated for the basic service industry we're in!

I see NO time saving in using online subscriptions. For example, Time to load between pages, having to click instead of type and Tab etc would take at least double the time compared to First Edge.

MYOB cost me something like $150!
    I agree with you and think online is a good way to go but after checking them out, Im pretty sure, Im not keen!
    I had a heap of review written down but just deleted it because I could just put it down to these 7 words... They are all rubbish for service industry!
    I dont want Item, Qty, Unit etc. WTF? I want Date, Card (Supplier), Amount and Account. Thats all I need!

If paying an expense like fuel, I dont want to input the expense invoice and then have to open another page to pay it. Thats double the work.

If your selling something (an item) they would be great. But like I said, for service industry they are just not suited IMHO!

Many people dont like First Edge but I have to say, after playing with these it is soooo much simpler, easy to navigate and quicker to use.
    I just wish there was an online version of it. I'd be happy!

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

seeing though e-record is now no longer avaliable is this what people are using or do you also need the program and this is just storing the files.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I was told there will be a new MYOB online "site" next year. Is told it may be more along the lines of what I want. Basically an MYOB First Edge clone.

Tender, you dont need any programs to use these sites, its all online.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I was told there will be a new MYOB online "site" next year. Is told it may be more along the lines of what I want. Basically an MYOB First Edge clone.

Tender, you dont need any programs to use these sites, its all online.
    was looking at it last night i recon i will start using it this afternoon as i need a new program thanks to the ato stopping e record.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    was looking at it last night i recon i will start using it this afternoon as i need a new program thanks to the ato stopping e record.

Did you end up using the new online myob? If so how are you finding it?

With the online accounting programs if we do all our invoices on the spot and give them to the customer handwritten, how does that work with the accounting programs? Do you just input each invoice into the computer again and just not print them or email them?? or is there a quicker way?

Also if its linked up with the new auto bank feeds , once its set up would we just need to enter invoices and thats it?

Chris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast