Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo

Default Bamboo

Have a new client who has had landscaping with bamboo right down 1 side fence - only 6-12 months old at this stage.
    Can anyone tell me if there are any newer species of bamboo that wont go crazy as it tends to do ( or thats what i thought it does) and be a problem to neighbours plants/garden growing/shooting etc under then fence.

Default Re: Bamboo

You can get running or clumping bamboo.
    Cheers Dean.

Tiger grass maybe? I seen it at a garden show a few months ago and from memory it has the look of bamboo without the problems.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

You could look up Red cloud bamboo in Dingley if your keen.
    Cheers Dean.

Very Helpful Member

black bamboo doesn't tend to spread as fast as green and looks better but it will still eventually spread if the client has already planted it i would just wait and see how it goes
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

On the subject of bambo.....I have a new client who is trying to get rid of it. He has chopped it all down already. But it is starting to grow back....and it is looks like it has previously spread and is growing wild in his neigbour's backyard. . . about 8 feet tall. I have just sprayed roundup all over what is there but I would like to hear peoples thoughts about getting rid of it. Cheers

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Have a look at this site it might help you id the bamboo.http://mrbamboo.com.au/

To get rid of running bamboo you have to inject straight glysophate into the plants, it is a long term job as you have to wait for the bamboo to shoot up and then inject again. Or get a bobcat and dig out the whole garden and lawn and start again. First option is cheaper.

Smile Re: Bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    On the subject of bambo.....I have a new client who is trying to get rid of it. He has chopped it all down already. But it is starting to grow back....and it is looks like it has previously spread and is growing wild in his neigbour's backyard. . . about 8 feet tall. I have just sprayed roundup all over what is there but I would like to hear peoples thoughts about getting rid of it. Cheers
    The best way is to hire a Dingo and dig it out..There is much better screening plants available than bamboo.. Failing that buy a Panda..

Very Helpful Member

try to cut the bamboo off fairly low to ground but just under one of the ridges this leaves a hollow tube you then fill this with a strong glypho solution the solution then soaks in and doing it this way you can kill most of it off but you will still have to repeat
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

neighbour had a large patch of bamboo cut it back sprayed it ect no good just kept coming back so in the end cut it all back to ground level sprayed it again coverd it with black plastic and wood chips and placed some of the poted plants from the front veranda on to dress it up a bit ... after about 6 monthhs pot plants went back on veranda wood chips on the existing garden beds plastic in rubbish bamboo was gone now just nice clean lawn ....

I haven't had luck with glyso on bamboo, might be worth trying tree/blackberry poison?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thanks for all your replies, she is contacting the landscaper to see what variety exactly was planted! Will act from there.

Anyone got any tips on removing clumping bamboo? Stumps and all?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Very Helpful Member

bobcat or someone else to wield the mattock

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast