Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbiased Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Default Re: Unbiased Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Thanks Graeme, i shall keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Pulling them out or knocking them? Mine retracts when you touch the throttle.
    Both, theyre just cheap plastic. If your concience of this, you proly wont break it.
    Cheers Dean.

I store my chainys' on their side, bar down, to stop leaking.
    All new chains stretch & should be watched carefully the first 1-2 hours.
    I don't think chainsaws should be sold to anyone who hasn't done the TAFE course

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    (quote)http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-25CC-CHAI...35eb90895#shId
    Anyone got one of these or can recommend a cheapy thats ok just for limbing etc??(unquote)

Guys, unless you are climbing with it, a rear handled saw is so much better ergonomically and a sh*t load safer. In some countries it is actually illegal to use a top handled saw on the ground, in the UK you have to show that you are a climbing arborist to even buy one. Top handled saws are designed for climbing, in the tree industry they are mostly called a "climbing saw" for that reason.
    There are plenty of cheap rear handle saws on ebay too so don't put yourself at unnessary risk.

Graeme
    Graeme, yes a rear handled saw is better ergonomically, but the top handled saw is far from unsafe if u know what your doing (no slur intended).
    The top handled saw was designed to be used one handed although its far safer in many situations to use it with both. Also nobody would ever admit to that 4 obvious oh&s regs.
    Yes it is basically a climbing/limbing saw & thats where the top handled design comes into its own.
    The small saws shown here are around 25cc and I dont think u could buy a less powerfull saw.
    We have used the top handled desigined saws 4 many years now & have never encountered any kickback, although Im not saying its impossible. Whereas with bigger more powerfull Ive experienced kickback many times.
    IMHO these lower powered saws can be quite usefull 4 many tasks that indies would perform with a reasonable level of safety from a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves View Post
    Graeme, yes a rear handled saw is better ergonomically, but the top handled saw is far from unsafe if u know what your doing (no slur intended).
    The top handled saw was designed to be used one handed although its far safer in many situations to use it with both. Also nobody would ever admit to that 4 obvious oh&s regs.
    Yes it is basically a climbing/limbing saw & thats where the top handled design comes into its own.
    The small saws shown here are around 25cc and I dont think u could buy a less powerfull saw.
    We have used the top handled desigined saws 4 many years now & have never encountered any kickback, although Im not saying its impossible. Whereas with bigger more powerfull Ive experienced kickback many times.
    IMHO these lower powered saws can be quite usefull 4 many tasks that indies would perform with a reasonable level of safety from a chainsaw.
    Hi the point that I was making is that, if there is no need for a climbing saw then why buy one, as you say anyone with a little training some experience and a little common sense can use any saw reasonably safely. BUT if a slightly safer option is available why not use it.

I am a qualified arborist and having been around chainsaws most of my working life, I have healthy respect for this tool. I admit that chainsaw safety is a little hobby horse of mine, but I've witnessed a couple of chainsaw accidents and had a few near misses myself over the years, and it has only reinforced my respect of chainsaws.

Graeme

Graeme

I bought an Echo top handle saw when I was in Japan from Cainz home (japanese equivalent of Bunnings) for about $300 Aussie dollars and brought it back home in my suitcase (don't know what customs thought) and it has been absolutely fantastic. I also have a Husqvarna rear handle saw but I hardly use it any more because the little echo is more compact and just a great saw. I agree they probably are more dangerous than a rear handle but I like the fact that I can grab a branch with my left hand cut it and chuck it on the ute. A bit of experience with one and your risk will decline, same as using a zero turn on a hill for the first time.

Guys, unless you are climbing with it, a rear handled saw is so much better ergonomically and a sh*t load safer. In
    countries it is actually illegal to use a top handled saw on the ground, in the UK you have to show that you are a climbing arborist to even buy one. Top handled saws are designed for climbing, in the tree industry they are mostly called a "climbing saw" for that reason.
    There are plenty of cheap rear handle saws on ebay too so don't put yourself at unnessary risk.

Graeme

I bought a Pope 33cc loop handle brushcutter,trimmer from the local hardware store. It had been there for over a year so they did me a good deal. $210.00 incl GST. It is really good for the price. The "big block" 33cc engine has bags of power and revs and I find I get through my work quicker because of this. It is a Chinese copy of a Mitsubishi engine. It starts easy and I put my favourite lightning core square cord on it and it powers through over grown edges easily. For the price you could buy 2 of them and a speed feed head, leave one as a trimmer and put a brushcutter disc on the other one and it would cost you less than a top of the line unit.

Pros: Price, Powerful, well balanced, Comfortable to use, starts easy, reliable. Low cost asset to your business that can earn you thousands of dollars if looked after. Large fuel tank for those big jobs.

Cons: A bit heavy (but if you use the harness supplied it is much better). Original bump feed head supplied with machine is difficult and time consuming to re-string and not commercial quality (fit a speed feed head - no worries) Cheap finish, some vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    I bought a Pope 33cc loop handle brushcutter,trimmer from the local hardware store. It had been there for over a year so they did me a good deal. $210.00 incl GST. It is really good for the price. The "big block" 33cc engine has bags of power and revs and I find I get through my work quicker because of this. It is a Chinese copy of a Mitsubishi engine. It starts easy and I put my favourite lightning core square cord on it and it powers through over grown edges easily. For the price you could buy 2 of them and a speed feed head, leave one as a trimmer and put a brushcutter disc on the other one and it would cost you less than a top of the line unit.

Pros: Price, Powerful, well balanced, Comfortable to use, starts easy, reliable. Low cost asset to your business that can earn you thousands of dollars if looked after. Large fuel tank for those big jobs.

Cons: A bit heavy (but if you use the harness supplied it is much better). Original bump feed head supplied with machine is difficult and time consuming to re-string and not commercial quality (fit a speed feed head - no worries) Cheap finish, some vibration.
    Of all the budget stuff out there,Pope seems to be the one to buy. I don't think I've read a bad comment on here about their products.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Very Helpful Member

Makita BHX 2500 4 stroke blower

great machine very impressed with the power of this 4 stroke machine before buying this i had said to my wife that i would love to get one that starts like my old honda and blows like my shindy and i reckon this does.
    the only down sides i could see are that it doesn't have lugs to fit a shoulder strap and i like having a shoulder strap so i can use both hands to close gates etc:without having to put the blower down also i feel the nozzle is too wide and blows a large volume but not direct stream of air great for blowing dry grass but not so great with damp stuff both of these issues were easy to overcome with only minor modifications.
    the shoulder strap i simply place a bit of chain through clap that is on the nozzle and replace one of the rear body screws with a longer one and used the longer screw to hold a metal bracket i made [ a straight piece with 2 holes drilled in it 1 for the screw the other for the strap ]
    with the nozzle i went very high tech and cut the bottom off a 600ml cream bottle and then slid it over the end of the lower round nozzle marked where the lugs were then cut 11mm holes in the bottle so it would fit on flat then taped it in place with black tape and spray painted the end so i doesn't look to dodgy this reduces the outlet from about 70mm to around 50mm and increases the ability to aim the air and in my opinion making a very good blower even better
    overall i think at about 30%cheaper than honda or shindaiwa this is a great buy
    thank-you to gcsmow who also has one of these and said they were good and helped me decide to buy 1 [ i recommend trying the cream bottle ]
    i have only had it about a month so only time will tell whether it is as good as i feel it is
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

hey ian i tryed one of the makitas bhx2500 at mower shop in bayswater about 12 months ago seemed to have heaps of go in it and very quiet , i love the stihl blower i have bg 86 but when it comes time to upgrade the makitas the first on the list the only down side i found is im right handed and the impeller on the makita was all ways against my leg as the stihl is on the out side .. also test ran one of the makita chainsaws cant remember the model number ??? it didnt seem to rev as hard as the stihls chainsaws but jeez it had some balls and low down torque ...

Thanks for that mate I am glad that you agree with my impression of the blower. I will try and get one of those cream bottles from somewhere and give it a go. Next piece of equipment on my list will be a Shindaiwa C4 backpack blower, as far as I am aware they are the most powerful backpack blower on the market. It will come in handy for some of the bigger areas I have to blow such as servos' and car parks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Makita BHX 2500 4 stroke blower

great machine very impressed with the power of this 4 stroke machine before buying this i had said to my wife that i would love to get one that starts like my old honda and blows like my shindy and i reckon this does.
    the only down sides i could see are that it doesn't have lugs to fit a shoulder strap and i like having a shoulder strap so i can use both hands to close gates etc:without having to put the blower down also i feel the nozzle is too wide and blows a large volume but not direct stream of air great for blowing dry grass but not so great with damp stuff both of these issues were easy to overcome with only minor modifications.
    the shoulder strap i simply place a bit of chain through clap that is on the nozzle and replace one of the rear body screws with a longer one and used the longer screw to hold a metal bracket i made [ a straight piece with 2 holes drilled in it 1 for the screw the other for the strap ]
    with the nozzle i went very high tech and cut the bottom off a 600ml cream bottle and then slid it over the end of the lower round nozzle marked where the lugs were then cut 11mm holes in the bottle so it would fit on flat then taped it in place with black tape and spray painted the end so i doesn't look to dodgy this reduces the outlet from about 70mm to around 50mm and increases the ability to aim the air and in my opinion making a very good blower even better
    overall i think at about 30%cheaper than honda or shindaiwa this is a great buy
    thank-you to gcsmow who also has one of these and said they were good and helped me decide to buy 1 [ i recommend trying the cream bottle ]
    i have only had it about a month so only time will tell whether it is as good as i feel it is

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    Of all the budget stuff out there,Pope seems to be the one to buy. I don't think I've read a bad comment on here about their products.
    Yeah they seem pretty good for the price. One thing I forgot to mention was the debris shield, it is possibly the best shield out there. I usually wear a helmet with earmuffs and mesh visor but I don't need to wear the mesh visor with this machine because I don't get hit in the face much with dirt or stones with this trimmer. Also it doesn't get in the way as some shields do.

Hi the point that I was making is that, if there is no need for a climbing saw then why buy one, as you say anyone with a little training some experience and a little common sense can use any saw reasonably safely. BUT if a slightly safer option is available why not use it.

I am a qualified arborist and having been around chainsaws most of my working life, I have healthy respect for this tool. I admit that chainsaw safety is a little hobby horse of mine, but I've witnessed a couple of chainsaw accidents and had a few near misses myself over the years, and it has only reinforced my respect of chainsaws.

Graeme

Graeme
    Hi Graeme, not doubting your qualifications, just like to know your reasoning on why the top handled chainsaw is less safe than the back handle.
    I would agree that using a back handle over a long period on the ground would be less tiring, but what else?
    The top handled saw can have many uses, not just climbing.
    I was just pointing out that its a versatile saw with many attributes.
    Cheers Dean.

I was watching some arborists the other day felling trees from the ground and using big heavy saws with big f--k off bars on them. Fair enough for cutting through big trunks but then they used the big heavy saws to cut off the limbs when the trees where on the ground. I just wonder why you wouldn't go for a smaller lighter saw for doing this instead of the big heavy mo-fo? They had smaller saws sitting there but they used the big ones instead. Any ideas?

It seemed harder work to use the big saw as opposed to a smaller one which would do the job just as well. Just an observation I made.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    I was watching some arborists the other day felling trees from the ground and using big heavy saws with big f--k off bars on them. Fair enough for cutting through big trunks but then they used the big heavy saws to cut off the limbs when the trees where on the ground. I just wonder why you wouldn't go for a smaller lighter saw for doing this instead of the big heavy mo-fo? They had smaller saws sitting there but they used the big ones instead. Any ideas?

It seemed harder work to use the big saw as opposed to a smaller one which would do the job just as well. Just an observation I made.
    More power,sharper, less back bend, macho.
    Cheers Dean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast