Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Grass collection Larger areas

Default Grass collection Larger areas

We have some larger areas of lawn to collect clippings from. First one or two could be a problem but after that it would be weekly cutting and twice weekly if we get the heavy growth periods like we had in Melbourne earlier this year.

From experience is it easier/quicker to dump it in trailer next to lawn and shovel it all out or take full catchers on mower about 300-400 mtrs away and dump?

1.25 acres
    3.50 acres

How many catcher loads and extra time could be estimated for these areas? Any idea at all?

Default Re: Grass collection Larger areas

I had a client who had 3 acres and wanted grass collected. Tried the dumping in trailer scenario and found a lot of time taken with back and fourth to trailer and then the tip run.

Ended up hiring a 600 litre (plastic) wheelie bin which the client allowed me to leave on the property (hidden away) and would simply wheel it close to mowing area, dumping all grass and any other green waste. On completion, would call for a pick up...Done!

I paid and managed it and then invoiced client as normal. Time was drastically cut down and worked well. Not knowing your situation and providing you have the access, logistics and permission it could be an option.

Property has since sold but from memory, monthly rent on bin was I think $25 and cost per pick up was about $55 but had to be on their scheduled run. Outside their run would cost a little more.

There are a heap of those mobs that have a range of different options that might suit u..

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    I had a client who had 3 acres and wanted grass collected. Tried the dumping in trailer scenario and found a lot of time taken with back and fourth to trailer and then the tip run.

Ended up hiring a 600 litre (plastic) wheelie bin which the client allowed me to leave on the property (hidden away) and would simply wheel it close to mowing area, dumping all grass and any other green waste. On completion, would call for a pick up...Done!

I paid and managed it and then invoiced client as normal. Time was drastically cut down and worked well. Not knowing your situation and providing you have the access, logistics and permission it could be an option.

Property has since sold but from memory, monthly rent on bin was I think $25 and cost per pick up was about $55 but had to be on their scheduled run. Outside their run would cost a little more.

There are a heap of those mobs that have a range of different options that might suit u..

Hope this helps.
    This is definitely an option. thanks

660l-plastic-wheelie-bin-4-wheels.jpg

I have two of the 660L wheelie/skip bins and use them every day. 2 & 1/2 times the capacity of your standard 240L wheelie bin. I have a 36 inch cylinder mower and use these bins to empty the catcher into. I remove the lids and only put them back on when expecting rain. A full trailer tip run for me involves two of these and 4 x 240L wheelie bins (2.3 cubic metres). Much quicker unload at tip than with wool bags. Good workout for chest and shoulders pushing them up the trailer ramp to load the trailer and there's a particular technique involved.