Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I used bin-die on a clients lawn to get rid of the bindis.
    But 2 weeks later she said the bindis are growing more???
    Any ideas on getting rid of the bindis?
    I was thinking if tripling the dosage of bin-due
    It sounds a bit basic, but Bin-die works way better with the watering can method - especially if the ground is dry. Dunno why - but it does.
    Follow the application rate per square metres especially on buffalo. If there is clover, give the clover an application first before doing the entire lawn (so the clover gets a double dose)
    For your customer, the bindis will seem to be getting worse as they die and the seed balls dry out. It means you've sprayed the bindies a bit late.
    For Illawarra NSW I spray late September and mid December. This hits the spring growth and the late stragglers. Do this 3 years in a row and you'll have eliminated 95% of the bindies.
    Best way to completely rid bindies from the lawn is to make the lawn healthy. Light fertilise spring and autumn, keep at least 2 inches of depth in the grass. Once the bindies are gone mulch mow every so often.
    Best way to grow a mighty crop of bindies is to mulch mow nice and short every 2 weeks year round - like a lot of grassies do.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Back when I was with VIP we had a new lawnie spray a clients kikuyu lawn, 400m2 with zero (by mistake) thinking that was ok to get rid of the broadleaf weeds. The whole lawn died. What a **** storm that caused. The manager made him go there and water the lawn twice a week until it grew back.
    I had a customer decide to save a few bucks on a weed & feed.
    I'd quoted to use the granules (iron and sulphate of ammonia), but she spotted the $5 clip on hose type (with dicamba) at bunnies and thought she'd DIY.
    The lawn was $4 grand worth of new Sir Walter
    She saved about $75 by DIY her own weed and feed.
    After the dead lawn was ripped up and replaced she never again even questioned any price or recommendation I gave her.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Had just installed a new 50sqm lawn for a customer, mowed a few times over the next few months, she called me one day to say that she was worried that the lawn was going patchy yellow, so I go and have a look, turned out she had sprayed the weeds in the lawn with zero........ looked like a green and spotty yellow leopard!
    Independent and i know it

Quote Originally Posted by SM MOWING View Post
    Had just installed a new 50sqm lawn for a customer, mowed a few times over the next few months, she called me one day to say that she was worried that the lawn was going patchy yellow, so I go and have a look, turned out she had sprayed the weeds in the lawn with zero........ looked like a green and spotty yellow leopard!
    Its amazes me how many stupid people there are around when it comes to spraying lawns. Its ok if they stuff it up but imagine what would happen if it was you who done that to the lawn.. I mow a doctors surgery, and the old bloke next door gets me to mow his yard as well, he is a good bloke and I don't mind working for him, but he sprayed his lawn and the doctors with weed and feed, well that's what he said it was, this was a few months ago, and today you would be lucky to find 5 blades of green grass on either lawn, I just said can you leave the spraying to me from now on.

I had a customer, that got a bottle of hose on weed and feed, but after reading the instructions, decided to take it back as her lawn was mainly clover, when she looked at it Her lawn is supposed to be Couch.

P1010139.jpg Good stuff but not cheap

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    P1010139.jpg Good stuff but not cheap
    Maybe its good, but won't do much for the weeds (if used as per this discussion topic -- lawn herbicides).
    Better to have it under 'lawn insecticides' topic

Joe

I thought most guys would have the intelligence to know the difference between the two

Pricey Mark?

anyone know what works best on creeping oxalis in a rye/fescue lawn? Tried dicamba and mcpa but not with much success.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    anyone know what works best on creeping oxalis in a rye/fescue lawn? Tried dicamba and mcpa but not with much success.
    n
    The following may give you some guidance / inspiration / base for further research
    You might like to read a bit more about Brushoff which is of the sulphonyl urea group and in my experience does little harm to grasses (but is fatal to ferns) and will deal with broadleaf weeds and weeds that have bulbs such as Angled Onion. Most of these Ag chemise are granules and used at very low rates so you need an electronic scales capable of weighing less than a gram accurately.
    Same applies to "Glean" (chlorsulphuron) and it's relatives referred to below.

Joe
    ---------

http://www.herbiguide.com.au/Descrip...eaf_Oxalis.htm

Sulfonyl urea herbicides and diuron usually provide the best control.*
    For spot spraying, 0.1 g metsulfuron(600g/kg) or 0.2 g chlorsulfuron(750g/kg) plus 25 mL wetting agent in 10 L water applied when the plants are actively growing provides good control. Repeat this if regrowth appears.*
    100 mL glyphosate(450g/L) in 10 L of water when the plants are young and actively growing can be used where no residual action is desired.*
    50 mL diuron(500g/L) in 10 L of water will kill plants and leaves a soil residue to help control corms or seeds germinating after spraying. Diuron can damage many species of trees and native plants and should not be applied above the root zone of desirable plants or where water flows may take it to the root zone of desirable plants.
    For broadacre spraying use 20 g/ha chlorsulfuron(750g/kg) plus 0.25% wetting agent. Logran and Spinnaker are also useful and generally cause less damage to native species where overall spraying is necessary.
    It usually takes 3 or more years to achieve high levels of control.
    300 mL/ha Spinnaker® controls O. purpurea in pasture and 50 g/ha Logran® controls O. glabra wheat. These products will probably also kill other Oxalis species.

http://www.herbiguide.com.au/Descrip...hg_Soursob.htm

http://www.theturffarm.com.au/blogs/soursobs/
    For your lawn, a successful point of attack is to purchase a selective broadleaf herbicide, such as Amgrow Sir Walter Buffalo Weed Control, which contains Bromoxynil, a nitrile herbicide, and MCPA (methyl chlorophenoxyacetic acid), a phenoxy herbicide. This product, produced specifically for Sir Walter lawns, attacks oxalis, as well as bindii, clover and dandelion but is still safe to use on other varieties of lawn, including couch and kikuyu. More than one application may be required for clover control. If so, ensure the treatments are spaced two weeks apart to let the herbicide soak in around the roots and bulbs of the weed.I

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

http://www.theturffarm.com.au/blogs/soursobs/
    For your lawn, a successful point of attack is to purchase a selective broadleaf herbicide, such as Amgrow Sir Walter Buffalo Weed Control, which contains Bromoxynil, a nitrile herbicide, and MCPA (methyl chlorophenoxyacetic acid), a phenoxy herbicide. This product, produced specifically for Sir Walter lawns, attacks oxalis, as well as bindii, clover and dandelion but is still safe to use on other varieties of lawn, including couch and kikuyu. More than one application may be required for clover control. If so, ensure the treatments are spaced two weeks apart to let the herbicide soak in around the roots and bulbs of the weed.I[/QUOTE]

Another name for the same chemical is BIN DIE. Been around for years, a touch more expensive than general selective broadleaf herbicides but one of the few safe ones to apply to Buffalo lawn varieties.

sounds like BIN DIE and brushoff are both worth having. Metsulfron aint cheap . 200grams would last me about 2 or 3 generations of kids. Bulk at the thought of forking out $50 so I can use 0.1gram. I guess it has other uses.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    sounds like BIN DIE and brushoff are both worth having. Metsulfron aint cheap . 200grams would last me about 2 or 3 generations of kids. Bulk at the thought of forking out $50 so I can use 0.1gram. I guess it has other uses.
    Shop around - DuPont have a 40gm pack of Brushoff
    http://www.dupont.com.au/content/dam...rushOff_13.pdf
    However, if typical of Ag chem small pack pricing, you pay a big premium for small packs and it might cost almost as much as a 200gm bottle.

BEWARE
    As these are powerful herbicides, always read the instructions carefully and particularly take note of and follow the instructions for cleaning / decontaminating your spray equipment of residues
    Carryover / side effects on your next job may not be wanted!
    Joe.

What is the most cost effective once a year weed killer to use on crushed granite areas. I tried bantox but $30 to make 20 litres of spray seems excessive. Is there a more economical alternative?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast