Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    What is the most cost effective once a year weed killer to use on crushed granite areas. I tried bantox but $30 to make 20 litres of spray seems excessive. Is there a more economical alternative?

How big is the area to be treated?

You might have a look at Nufarm Arsenal Express.
    Other possibilities are a mix of Atrazine and Amitrole
    (used to be avail pre blended as trade names such as Fyrbar and Grays Total Weeder).
    These are Ag / Industrial use herbicides so may not be avail in small packs (eg under 5 litres).

With all of these type of long term acting / residual herbicides, read the instructions carefully as they can have long term residual actions and can leach / migrate with water movement in the soil and seriously harm to non target plants/areas.
    (eg quite some years ago a friend & I sprayed some Fyrbar on a (sloping) brick paved area and the chem got carried through the underlying bedding sand and some plants in garden at lower end of paving became 'quite sickly' for a time.
    Take home message -- water can cause these chemicals to migrate and cause harm!
    Be very careful.)

Joe

Thanks mate, it's more to keep in case its needed rather than for a specific job. So wouldn't want too much. The job I just did used up all my supply. The Bantox was about the right amount to have though.

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    How big is the area to be treated?

You might have a look at Nufarm Arsenal Express.
    Other possibilities are a mix of Atrazine and Amitrole
    (used to be avail pre blended as trade names such as Fyrbar and Grays Total Weeder).
    These are Ag / Industrial use herbicides so may not be avail in small packs (eg under 5 litres).

With all of these type of long term acting / residual herbicides, read the instructions carefully as they can have long term residual actions and can leach / migrate with water movement in the soil and seriously harm to non target plants/areas.
    (eg quite some years ago a friend & I sprayed some Fyrbar on a (sloping) brick paved area and the chem got carried through the underlying bedding sand and some plants in garden at lower end of paving became 'quite sickly' for a time.
    Take home message -- water can cause these chemicals to migrate and cause harm!
    Be very careful.)

Joe
    if your worried about the price of Bantox you will get a shock at the price of arsenal express it's a potent product around gardens better off for pros to use on large areas such as Rhodes grass control one of the few products that is considered to work on it ,your take home message is spot on to.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Attachment 7822Attachment 7823Attachment 7824Picked up 5 litres of embargo today I will keep you posted on how it goes, rates are 50mls per 100 square metres.Also a bit of light reading
    Just a note for anyone interested, or for those guys that look after nice lawns. The embargo is one of the best products I have used, I sprayed half a dozen of my best lawns in September when I got it, and have just done them again, for the winter grass. What I have noticed is that these lawns over the summer have become nearly completely weed free, I hope it works as good on the winter grass. One lawn Queensland blue couch, that I double cut every week with a scott bonnar model 45, is the best its ever been, I also hit this lawn with the accelyprin and it has had no grub at all, its another great product just a bit expensive for us. Unless you have great clients that are willing to pay for it.

Just a note for anyone interested, or for those guys that look after nice lawns. The embargo is one of the best products I have used, I sprayed half a dozen of my best lawns in September when I got it, and have just done them again, for the winter grass. What I have noticed is that these lawns over the summer have become nearly completely weed free, I hope it works as good on the winter grass. One lawn Queensland blue couch, that I double cut every week with a scott bonnar model 45, is the best its ever been, I also hit this lawn with the accelyprin and it has had no grub at all, its another great product just a bit expensive for us. Unless you have great clients that are willing to pay for it.
    Thanks for the update mate. Keep us posted. How much did you charge per application
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

for the EMBARGO product, all users should read, take note of and follow the instructions very carefully as to where / how it should be used ..
    In particular .... (from the label)

------------------------
    1. WITHHOLDING PERIOD
    DO NOT graze treated turf/lawn or feed turf/grass clippings from any treated area to poultry or livestock

2. APPLICATION RECORDS
    Users of this product MUST make an accurate written record
    of the details of each spray application within 24 hours following application and keep this record for a minimum of 2 years. ..........(then follow detailed requirements of the records to be kept)

----------------------------

From this one (as a person who raises and sells livestock as a farming business) one can infer that there are some serious issues regarding pesticide/herebicide residues in livestock (products) from this chemical.
    In particular I would surmise that its likely that if residues were detected in export products (esp) and possibly domestic consumption as well, it would be "condemned" as "contaminated product".
    These sorts of things can quickly do serious damage to export industries.
    As an aside, we now have to keep full records of all treatments/ ag chemicals we apply to, or expose our animals to (sheep in my case) and supply all this info in a "Vendors declaration" whenever we sell them.

Joe.

Does anyone have a herbicide that they use in turf areas for paspalum. The turf is buffalo, ky, couch and rye fescue. My main concern is treating the buffalo and ky, I haven't been able to find anything that offers a large area spray on solution and individually painting each plant isn't a viable option.

Hey Joe, when you buy a chemical from a rural supply shop how do you know if it is can be used in a domestic situation. i.e in the suburbs,not a farm area. Sometimes i read the label it just seems to have references to crops and aerial apllication etc. Sometimes however it refers to golf greens etc but not as often does it mention lawns and garden beds. What if there is no reference to the specific situation you wish to use it for?

Don't want to be a martyr here, but when you ask those sort of questions mate, may be worthwhile doing your chemcert *flamesuit on*
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mow And Go View Post
    Don't want to be a martyr here, but when you ask those sort of questions mate, may be worthwhile doing your chemcert *flamesuit on*
    Yeah I have been thinking about that. But in the meantime can't help myself, I like to learn and this board is a good place to do it. Learnt more on this board than i did at some horticulture subjects. You need to be lucky and get a good instructor because else waste of time and money unless the notes are really good.

Brodie trying using Passtox by Campbell Chemicals your local Chemical supply should have it, if not try Globe Australia. If you check online its for paspalum and other types of weed in Buffalo and fescue. It might make Kikuyu go yellow but it will come back fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Brodie trying using Passtox by Campbell Chemicals your local Chemical supply should have it, if not try Globe Australia. If you check online its for paspalum and other types of weed in Buffalo and fescue. It might make Kikuyu go yellow but it will come back fine.
    Thanks David I'll have a look at the chemical suggested. Buffalo is my main concern as you say ky will just yellow and come back with a bit of water.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Hey Joe, when you buy a chemical from a rural supply shop how do you know if it is can be used in a domestic situation. i.e in the suburbs,not a farm area. Sometimes i read the label it just seems to have references to crops and aerial apllication etc. Sometimes however it refers to golf greens etc but not as often does it mention lawns and garden beds. What if there is no reference to the specific situation you wish to use it for?
    Your best bet is to become very good friends with your local chemical supplier. If you look for chemicals that have a lawn situation listed sometimes there is a general horticulture situation but not as common.

For general maintenance there are only a few chemicals that you will really need on a regular basis;
    Glyphosate
    BROMOXYNIL
    Dicamba

Sure there are more but they are the main three we keep on the truck for every day use

That's pretty much what i carry Brodie but haven't found a good contact on the chemical supply yet. I'm looking at the cooch selective spray and also recently got a woody weed killer. Bought a zero weed wand the other day, was thinking why the hell haven't I had one of these before. Just gunna leave it full of straight Glypho for when there is just a handful of weeds that don't justify using the backpack sprayer, but more importantly will be great for brushing on to cut stems/stumps.

Anyone know any alternate treatments for crab grass ? I've used another before and Globe have recommended DSMA Clear. The thing is the mixture rates of the product I have used and the DSMA Clear are huge, 250ml to 4.5 litres water and only covers 100sqm.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast