Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    From reading through here and some other info I figured clover can be tough to get rid of. When I quote I include a second spray if necessary.
    Clover is hard to get rid of. Any part of the weed from root to flower will grow if left in the lawn. Best time to spray it is when it becomes active and fertilize with high nitrogen. Clover does not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I don't see a problem with it being to soon but might be worth reading some older posts. Scotts say you don't need to water in but I'm sure a lot of the more experianced guys on here will say otherwise
    Correct.. It does say you dont need to water it in but I found the best results happen if you do..I think not watering in is more marketing hype as it takes a while to break down and watering in does start the process..

Very Helpful Member

generally what the companies mean when they say it doesn't need to be watered in is that it won't burn the lawn if it isn't watered in straight after application but it still needs to be watered to become active in the soil.i think you will find most of the fertilizers that say to water well after application can burn the grass damaging the lawn if they aren't watered in
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

some of the fertilizers constituents may burn the grass if left on dry, i.e the ammonium nitrate. so it is best to water it in.
    secondly nutrient is only available to plants when it is in solution, so without the water it is useless.
    If they say it does not need watering in it will remain inactive until it rains.
    This is for chemical fertilizers.
    For organic feritilizers they also need water to be available, but the soil life will also take them down and break them up, but these are not available until they have been converted to there salt form or via the nitrogen cycle.

Default Paspalum

Short of digging it up and leaving craters throughout a lawn does anyone know of a herbicide that will do really well on paspalum?

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Paspalum

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Short of digging it up and leaving craters throughout a lawn does anyone know of a herbicide that will do really well on paspalum?
    don't no how good it is from experience but Bunnings sell a paspalum killer but DO NOT use on KIKUYU or BUFFALO
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Yeah I should have added - it's all through my backyard lawn which is kikuyku.

Very Helpful Member

you can try very carefully painting glypho if you have big areas you could try spraying these the kikuyu should grow back if your careful otherwise try digging it out i have a small mattock type thing i use mainly for this and weeding ,with paspalum you only have to remove the main crown you don't have to dig down very deeply and once you get most of it out it is fairly easy to keep under control but the initial digging can be a pain so good luck

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    you can try very carefully painting glypho if you have big areas you could try spraying these the kikuyu should grow back if your careful otherwise try digging it out i have a small mattock type thing i use mainly for this and weeding ,with paspalum you only have to remove the main crown you don't have to dig down very deeply and once you get most of it out it is fairly easy to keep under control but the initial digging can be a pain so good luck
    Yep agree Ian Paspalum can be iradicated if you take out the first inch under the crown.The roots will die. Tough work though digging them out, if well established.

I've had pretty good results from Feed n Weed (or weed n feed) from Big W. Works well on dandelions, lambs tongue, cobblers pegs, Singapore daisy and some other weeds that I don't know the name of. Not as effective on clover though.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

clover is hard to get rid of what you need to do is fert the grass andd get the grass to out grow the clover and the hard part there is that customers dont water there yard properly.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

That's not really a problem at this time of year in N.Q. but you're right most people are too lazy or tight or C.B.F. watering in the dry season and that is why they have weeds in their lawn.

Other thing is (in my experience) customers don't want to pay me to fertilise then pay me to mow it afterwards. One of my customers lawns is about 80% weeds. I told her how to fix it and a rough ball park figure on what it would cost and she was horrified. She found it was easier and cheaper for her to blame me for all the weeds in her yard. (whingeing old bee-ach)

Hey guys, new here

not even from your area quite, but i am a lawn care pro here and belong to several forums.

can you guys get the chemical carfentrazone? that is sold here under the name quicksilver, and it comes premixed with a 4 way herbicide called speedzone. dont know if you can get it, or if it is able to be sprayed on your varieties of turf. i am pretty sure bermudgrass is ok.

you may not have this, but if you do, it is ultimate on clover. carfentrazone is like an additive to a traditional three way herbicide and acts like a booster and really knocks all the unwanteds like you mention in about 24 hrs, total death in one week.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassman177 View Post
    Hey guys, new here

not even from your area quite, but i am a lawn care pro here and belong to several forums.

can you guys get the chemical carfentrazone? that is sold here under the name quicksilver, and it comes premixed with a 4 way herbicide called speedzone. dont know if you can get it, or if it is able to be sprayed on your varieties of turf. i am pretty sure bermudgrass is ok.

you may not have this, but if you do, it is ultimate on clover. carfentrazone is like an additive to a traditional three way herbicide and acts like a booster and really knocks all the unwanteds like you mention in about 24 hrs, total death in one week.

Hello all. Lawn guy from Florida here. The above product (quicksilver) is an excellent "kicker" for the weeds. I purchase it separately and add it to manor (metsulfuron). If you're not, try and add a surfactant to the herb mix. This will increase the efficiency of the herbicide (works great with fungicides and pesticides too.)

If weeds are severe, I also add 1/2 pound of ammonium nitrate to the back pack. (3-4 US gallons)

Anyone know the best place to get Sampra in Brisbane. I have found it to be the best thing for Nut Grass. Of course if anyone has a better solution I am all ears.
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast