Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

btb have you looked at globe they can probably deliver to your door
    http://www.globeaustralia.com.au/tur...herbicides.htmthey have a gulff ag HALOSULFURON which is probably cheaper than sempra and they can also supply monument which is an alternative to sempra
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Does anyone know for sure about the residual effects of Kamba in relation to cats and dogs?

I've got an upcoming job that requires a lawn spray for clover but the client has two reasonably expensive cats who do go outside at times during the day and of course they chew on the grass.

How long after I've sprayed should they be kept away from the clover?

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Paul . I'm pretty sure that Kamba has Dicamba in it and the only way you will get away with spaying buffalo with that stuff is if you spray it while the buffalo is in its dormancy period
    I just use Chemspray Bin-die on all lawns on the advice ( a few years back) of the local nursery bloke. Never had a problem with it. As long as you follow the directions on the bottle. Making it too strong can be a waste of money as well as being (possibly) dangerous to the lawn. Just usually needs a couple of applications about a month apart in my experience. And you really need to get the bindies early, before they start sticking in your feet.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

I've noticed bin-die by chemspray is now being sold as Amgrow Chemspray. They also have one for control of weeds in buffalo and one for control of weeds in couch. So far so good with the bin-die for buffalo and other lawns but haven't tried bin-die for couch yet!

BTW the new chemspray for buffalo has exactly the same ingredients as the old chemspray. But not sure about the chemspray for couch
    Just came across another product for the control of weeds in Buffalo called RICHGRO Bindi Killer for Buffalo Lawns. Similar to other products for Buffalo in that it does not use Dicamba. The active ingredients being Bromxoynil and MCPA similar to the Bromicide that Matt from Colourscape mentioned earlier on in the topic.

Anyone using any of the Weed n Feed or Kleen Lawn products be aware that they contain Dicamba.

I find that Feed-n-weed or weed-n-feed works pretty well on clover, dandelions, lambs tongue etc. Make sure you get a good day and really hose the sh!t on. I did a lawn the other day with it and I sprayed each area twice and got a pretty good result.

Let's go SPRAY some grass.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff1969 View Post
    hey courty looks like we both are scratching our heads over the clover and dandelion problems , the areas i work are just packed full of the stuff ......

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Does anyone know for sure about the residual effects of Kamba in relation to cats and dogs?

I've got an upcoming job that requires a lawn spray for clover but the client has two reasonably expensive cats who do go outside at times during the day and of course they chew on the grass.

How long after I've sprayed should they be kept away from the clover?
    Bloody pet owners can be a pain in the grass when it comes to poisons in the garden. A dog would have to drink a litre of diluted roundup just to make it sick. If you want to be on the safe side just don't let pets or children go near it until it dries.
    I remember a member on these forums talking about it and the info came from a vet and I got the same response from someone that works as a poisons expert.

But for gods sake dont let animals or children get near undiluted poison.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Bloody pet owners can be a pain in the grass when it comes to poisons in the garden. A dog would have to drink a litre of diluted roundup just to make it sick. If you want to be on the safe side just don't let pets or children go near it until it dries.
    I remember a member on these forums talking about it and the info came from a vet and I got the same response from someone that works as a poisons expert.

But for gods sake dont let animals or children get near undiluted poison.
    you mean undiluted and it was me i forgot the quality the vet said exactly but it was quite a bit they would have to drink 100s of liters of what we spray.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I rang the tech-info departmjent at Nufarm and the guy said basically the same thing, which is what I thought anyway.

Basically keep animals away from it until it drys. When used for agriculture however there is a 7 day with-holding period for grazing. Obviously cattle are eating much larger quantities though.

The other thing I've been looking into is a mixture of Suphate of Ammonia and Iron Sulphate. You can either mix it in equal quantities with dry sand and sprinkle on the weed infested areas or mix it in water and spray on. Iron Sulphate has its own toxic risks though too.

Here is a Fact shet for Dicamba (Kamba). Won't affect animals if used at correct rate. Smell might though.
    http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/dicamba_gen.pdf

I have been using Almicide which is basically the same as Kamba,, but about $25 cheaper per 5L Cannister. works a dream.
    Regards,
    Dean

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Going to a clients house tomorrow to have a look at some weeds in her lawn that sound like broad leaf weeds and bindi.
    She did say that there is a lot of moss growing in the lawn which I have seen in every second lawn lately. Explained that the moss is growing because the soil is constantly damp. What I don't know is whether it can become a problem. Will sort out the broad leaf weeds and bindi with chemspray.
    Does anyone have anything to say about the moss, is it something I should be getting concerned about?

I read a note once from one of the Gardening Australia presenters that moss can be killed overnight by an application of iron sulphate mixed in water - about 2 tablespoons to 4 litres or thereabouts. The iron sulphate will actually benefit the grass though.

Moss itself is a huge issue but it is a symptom of the lawn being in less than ideal condition. Constant moisture, poor grass growth, excess shade, soil compaction/aeration can all contribute.

What is bindi?

It's a low spreading lawn weed that has a nasty little prickle in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindii

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=bi...w=1296&bih=817

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Moss itself is a huge issue
    Whoops. I made a mistake here. Should have said "ISN'T" a huge issue.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast