Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

Having a bad run with spraying this season. Changed to a new spray set-up with the 15 litre Solo backpack sprayer and a 4 nozzle boom for supposedly better coverage. Had a lot of customers from recent sprays ringing to say only about 50% of the weeds are dying off. (Kamba for broadleaf, clover etc).

Paul, you using the right dose, also are you using oil and dishwashing liquid as addtives.

Yep David, correct rates, dash of dishwashing liquid etc. Only thing I can think of is that maybe I need to work on the droplet/mist size or adjust the speed I'm walking. Looks like I have a bit of spot spraying at no charge to do in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Having a bad run with spraying this season. Changed to a new spray set-up with the 15 litre Solo backpack sprayer and a 4 nozzle boom for supposedly better coverage. Had a lot of customers from recent sprays ringing to say only about 50% of the weeds are dying off. (Kamba for broadleaf, clover etc).
    Paul,
    Have you checked / noted the delta-t values (avail from the bureau of met website and on some of the smartphone weather apps) on the days when you sprayed?
    There is an optimum range of values for when you should spray.
    Outside the optimum range there is high risk of drift and/or the chemical being ineffective.
    With the type of weather patterns we have been having (here) recently
    I have noticed that the delta-t values have often not been favorable for spraying.

For delta-t info look at http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/deltat.shtml

Joe

Thanks for the delta-t info Joe. This has been my worst spraying season for long-time, possibly all time and I just put it down to the new gear. I'm always mindful of any wind and drift. For the last month while I've been spraying here it's been dry, temps haven't been over 15 - 18 degrees and I mainly try to spray in the AM when the humidity is still a little higher.

Do you know of any smartphone apps which have that info? I use Weatherzone and I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Elders Weather have an iphone app with delta-t but not for android it seems.

Here we go. Pocketweather Australia.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eatherau&hl=en

Thinking of trying some dye to see exactly what coverage this new setup is providing.

What professional brand/types of dye do others use?

Thinking of trying some dye to see exactly what coverage this new setup is providing.

Paul
    Good idea to check your coverage with dye.
    Can't recall what brand I have in shed but just use the generic red stuff (apparently veggie derived and biodegradable) from my ag-chem supplier.
    To do a quick check, just raid the kitchen for some food colouring.
    Mix up some colored water, put a few sq metres of newspaper sheets or similar on ground and do a test spray, passing over it (so the paper in partway along a spray pass).
    Even or uneven coverage should be immediately visible by the colour on the paper.

When spraying check to see if you are getting the droplets to spread over the leaves.
    If they are forming 'big drops' or globules, then there is need for spreader/wetting agent adjuvant.
    If using glypho, make sure water is good quality ...
    Eg farm dam water with suspended clay (ie muddy) is well known (by farmers) to much reduce the effectiveness of glyphosate.

Joe

when I was contract spraying bitou bush (sh1t!! 20 bloody years ago) we had to use salt water straight off the beach - still worked ok

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Paul, second application in 10 to 14 days time is sometimes recommended, so I Factor that into my quotes, the second one usually is easier as you only spot spraying. Always depends on condition, whether the weeds are stressed will also affect the success.

Justa quick question,do you guys use measures stated on label?ive used bin die for buffalo at rates stated but to no effect,says 10ml per 2.5l but have used 20 ml still with minimal results,maybe need dishwahing liquid or something to help it stick?.

Quote Originally Posted by irishjim View Post
    Justa quick question,do you guys use measures stated on label?ive used bin die for buffalo at rates stated but to no effect,says 10ml per 2.5l but have used 20 ml still with minimal results,maybe need dishwahing liquid or something to help it stick?.
    I tend to put 80ml in a 9 litre sprayer with 10ml of a sticking agent (can't remember the name of it right now) and get good results. Just remember the mixture rates are for 100 square metres, so if you have a bigger area to spray you'll need to fill up your sprayer again to the same mixture rate and continue on.

Very Helpful Member

don't forget that it's also been winter so the uptake rate is slower resulting in a slower kill time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Just use food die

Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast