Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

How long does Bin die take to kill weeds?

Quote Originally Posted by irishjim View Post
    Justa quick question,do you guys use measures stated on label?ive used bin die for buffalo at rates stated but to no effect,says 10ml per 2.5l but have used 20 ml still with minimal results,maybe need dishwahing liquid or something to help it stick?.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I use 30ml in 5 litres and 10ml of Bio oil or veggie oil as sticking agent. I use red or blue food dye from Woolies. It depends on the growing season, it can in winter take 3 or 4 weeks to kill properly, once heat is one then 7 to 10 days will do it.
    I sprayed a property 2 weeks ago and it is only just starting to show signs of the weeds dying, so I would say the weeds wont look really dead for another week or two.

Thanks Davids. I sprayed the lawn's weeds and a week later, the weeds had already start to die off. They were dried up and black.
    Gave it a good mow with the catcher... and its looking allot better now.
    Ill wait until next week to see how it looks then.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Has anyone used Jaguar?

No I don't use it. Having read the label it needs to have some MCPA added to it to get a good kill for some weeds. Better off using Dicamba or Bin-die for buffalo. I would not use it.

I have used it on a vineyard as mcpa, though great for killing broad leaf weeds, can be fatal with drift to the vines. I think it is a contact for broad leaf like basta is for weeds.

Re: using Kamba, the instructions say not to mow 2 days before or after mowing. Does anyone know what will happen if I spray straight after mowing? ie. if a customer wants a mow and spray in the same visit.

Quote Originally Posted by GQdude View Post
    Re: using Kamba, the instructions say not to mow 2 days before or after mowing. Does anyone know what will happen if I spray straight after mowing? ie. if a customer wants a mow and spray in the same visit.
    You run the risk of killing the grass as well.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I sometimes spray Kamba directly after mowing but only on kikuyu, and I sneak it on for free only to slow the weeds down in spring to make my work easier. It doesn't seem to harm kikuyu. If the client is paying I will spray a few days either side of a mow to get good results. This allows the weed regrowth so there is maximum leaf coverage.

The reason that it says not to spray 2 days before or after mowing is because if you spray straight after mowing there is not a lot of leaf left for the chemical to be absorbed into the weed. You are basically pissing your money up against the wall. I tell clients that I will spray 7 days before mowing or 7 days after that way I usually don't have to go back again to respray. Kamba makes kikuyu go yellow but will not kill it unless you over dose it.

I've had a an interesting thing happening when spot spraying a few lawns lately which looks like the grass actually dieing off, not just yellowing (in couch and kikuyu). Never happened before but it seems to be the jobs where I've had some Metsulfuron in the tank plus a squirt of dishwashing liquid as the adjuvant, mixed with the Kamba. Mixed at correct ratios so I'm thinking maybe the soap has burnt the grass?

Metsulfuron will kill grass, It is for use in agriculture and around commercial units where there is normally no turf only native grasses and weeds. I would not recommend for use on turf areas. I would use Dicamba or MCPA or a mix of both, not for Buffalo though.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Metsulfuron will kill grass, It is for use in agriculture and around commercial units where there is normally no turf only native grasses and weeds. I would not recommend for use on turf areas. I would use Dicamba or MCPA or a mix of both, not for Buffalo though.
    Hey DavidS, what do you think about the use of broadside on buffalo, it has dicamba which is why I ask. I was against it but was recommended to use & assured it wouldn't cause any problem with buffalo. I have been using for a month or so now without any known troubles.

David I started using it only recently particularly as an assist for creeping oxalis and vetch. A couple of couch lawns, presumably blue couch, didn't show any effects, but it has had the other result on one kikuyu and one Santa Anna couch lawn. Strange.

cylo, I would not use it, but because it only has 40g/l of Dicamba, you may get away with spraying buffalo, I would not use it on any buffalo that is stressed, you might have a different result. In reality you should not spray lawns that are stressed. I use Barmac Bindii Killer, very successful with this. I do use Amicide 625 on lawns for broadleaf, I also use Broadleaf Weeder. I would use Broadside on all other lawns except for Zoysia

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast