Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Lawn herbicides

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: Lawn herbicides

Yep. come across wild oats. I pull them if the lawn is good and regular mow. It's like wintergrass in kikuyu, you're kinda screwed. Have'nt found a spray that won't harm the grass. Had a golf course supt tell me once that they use diluted roundup to get rid of these weeds in couch grass. But only in winter when the couch is dormant.

I pull them out by hand too if there's only a few but sprayed a lawn yesterday that was such a mixed bag. It's wasn't a reg client and a don't mow it. It had couch, kikuyu and buffalo in parts too, and every imaginable weed plus paspalum and the wild oats. Had to inform the client that the oats and paspalum would still be there after other weeds started dieing and that the small sections of buff in amongst the other grasses would die off too. (As I used Kamba M due to the bulk of the lawn being couch.)

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Yep. come across wild oats. I pull them if the lawn is good and regular mow. It's like wintergrass in kikuyu, you're kinda screwed. Have'nt found a spray that won't harm the grass. Had a golf course supt tell me once that they use diluted roundup to get rid of these weeds in couch grass. But only in winter when the couch is dormant.
    Mate that's true about the round up , it works really well but you have to it as you said when the couch is dormant, and you have to know the rates, a little over and it could get messy if you nuke someones lawn

Back when I was with VIP we had a new lawnie spray a clients kikuyu lawn, 400m2 with zero (by mistake) thinking that was ok to get rid of the broadleaf weeds. The whole lawn died. What a **** storm that caused. The manager made him go there and water the lawn twice a week until it grew back.

Back when I was with VIP we had a new lawnie spray a clients kikuyu lawn, 400m2 with zero (by mistake) thinking that was ok to get rid of the broadleaf weeds. The whole lawn died. What a **** storm that caused. The manager made him go there and water the lawn twice a week until it grew back.
    Im surprised if it grew back? I was under the believe that once grass is killed with chemical its dead, so the only thing that will grow back will be various weeds and maybe a few areas that didn't get hit with the zero enough to kill it.

So does anyone know of anything for the black/wild oats?

Quote Originally Posted by cylo View Post
    Im surprised if it grew back? I was under the believe that once grass is killed with chemical its dead, so the only thing that will grow back will be various weeds and maybe a few areas that didn't get hit with the zero enough to kill it.
    Kikuyu and couch are very resilient and I've found you have to spray them a couple times to get more permanent results. Even then they could still grow back. That's why I recommend Kikuyu over other grasses to customers who have Kids or dogs. Good grow back.

When I was greenkeeping if we wanted to change the grass on a green, say from Greenlees Park couch to Tiftdwarf couch we had to gas the green to kill the old grass. This was done by covering the green with plastic sheets and injecting Methyl Bromide gas into it. This is deadly gear and a guard would watch the green for 24hrs to make sure no one went near it.

Kamba will ruin buffalo only good for couch we use it regularly have to be v carefully on what lawns you use it on cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Paul . I'm pretty sure that Kamba has Dicamba in it and the only way you will get away with spaying buffalo with that stuff is if you spray it while the buffalo is in its dormancy period

Yes these things I know. In the lawn I sprayed there were only minor areas of buff. The other mix of weeds were so dominant and most of the lawn was kik and couch hence using Kamba M. The owner was told the buff would die and was okay with that.

Black/Wild oats anyone?

Any chance of spot spraying with roundup ? Ive looked for a chem for oats in kikuyu lawns before and had no luck. Same with Barley grass, just ended up mowing more regularly removing the seed heads and hoping that the plant will eventually die off over summer.

They're just way to thick and widespread around here at the moment and only get worse as they go to seed as we all know. After a mow they do shoot back quicker then the couch or kik so with a bit of marker dye that would be the best time to hit them with roundup if we went with that approach.

Spray with Kamba M. You should have good results. Too often the homeowner gets it wrong when spraying, especially if they use those hit & miss click-on hose mixes.
    New legislation for Group I herbicides in South Australia
    Kamba M

In September 2013 PIRSA Biosecurity SA brought in new legislation for commercial users of the following Group I herbicides: 2,4-D; 2,4-DB, MCPA, dicamba, triclopyr, picloram, clopyralid and fluroxypyr.

Under the changed Regulations, broadacre farmers, licensed contractors and local government users of Group I herbicides must:

Have a current Prescribed Qualification such as Chemical Accreditation or equivalent, and
    Record specified information for every application of a Group I herbicide, and retain the record for at least 2 years.

Home gardeners, lifestyle property owners and industrial site users are exempted from the above requirements. Note that lifestyle property owners are NOT exempted if they apply Group I herbicide through a boomsprayer.

Cheers for that. I better get on board, or find a broadleaf spray that's not group I.

P1010007.jpgP1010008.jpgP1010009.jpgPicked up 5 litres of embargo today I will keep you posted on how it goes, rates are 50mls per 100 square metres.Also a bit of light reading

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast