Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackberry removal

Question blackberry removal

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for removing blackberries permanently. What product you have used? What period of time has it taken to die off and then best way to dig them up.

Default Re: blackberry removal

Don't know about now but when I was a young bloke up in the bush we used Tordon 245T but that has now been banned I think. Same stuff the yanks used in Vietnam apparently. The big thing with black berries is the seeds can remain dormant in the ground for up to 7 years.

On another tack lock a couple of goats up with it. They will eat it.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Don't know about now but when I was a young bloke up in the bush we used Tordon 245T but that has now been banned I think. Same stuff the yanks used in Vietnam apparently. The big thing with black berries is the seeds can remain dormant in the ground for up to 7 years.

Mate if you get a call in 7 years from the same client I'm sure they have no Idea. But I use round up double strength. Go back in 2 weeks and spray again.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

if you use the goats you can have a good feed of meat afterward. Goats not bad eating.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

There's that blackberry product sold in a little bottle, I think it's orange and black. I'd go out to the shed and have a look but it's raining. ;P

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    There's that blackberry product sold in a little bottle, I think it's orange and black. I'd go out to the shed and have a look but it's raining. ;P
    Richgro Tree Blackberry and Woody weed killer
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Richgro Tree Blackberry and Woody weed killer
    msds for this http:///www.richgro.com.au/datasheet...berry_MSDS.pdf
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Yeah got that Ian and used it a few times but never been back to take out the dead stuff. I have a regular client who wants it done so i want to make sure its done properly. I''m pretty sure there will be new growth - how long does that usually take and when should I respray. I would think spray now and end of Autumn, probably no new grow after that.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Yeah got that Ian and used it a few times but never been back to take out the dead stuff. I have a regular client who wants it done so i want to make sure its done properly. I''m pretty sure there will be new growth - how long does that usually take and when should I respray. I would think spray now and end of Autumn, probably no new grow after that.
    i would just suggest keeping an eye out while your there and spray any new growth before it gets to big

Yeah that Tordon used to be good s**t. I remember giving a peach tree a dose and it just gave up the ghost, brushed some on some weeds growing in a driveway, went inside a showered before going to the rubbidy. When we came out again the weeds had all turned brown and died. Love to get my hands on some now for soem tougher jobs.

Ok, I have heaps of Blackberry to remove, some partially dead and other still green. It is going to be very difficult to get a trailer in there so the question is: Will a chipper handle blackberries and if so has anyone used a chipper for them and how did it go. If not any suggestions?

Very Helpful Member

I've done a couple of large patches which i chopped up using a shindi multi hedge trimmer and a brushcutter with blade then once i could see what was on the ground i ran over it with the mower with the back up then again with a catcher bagged this and carried it to the trailer

Watch out for the snakes they love blackberries..
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

I have put small quantities blackberries through my 6" Vermeer chipper but they do not 'chip' well and are an absolute pita to feed. A large mulcher (hammermill principle) does a better job, but still brute to feed.
    For big areas, a flail mower on front of a bobcat makes good mince of them.

Re chemical treatment.
    Small numbers of plants or in garden or sensitive areas -- cut at about 5-10th above ground and dab with straight glyphosate will take them out without harming othe plants.
    You can also just paint/dab the stems (preferably) near the ground (without needing to cut them) with a Garlon & diesel mix (1:60). Very effective. The diesel carries the chemical through the bark.

Spraying -- Brushoff or Garlon work well but you need an Ag Chem User Permit to legally spray Garlon.
    Must be done at correct time of year and there will be co-lateral damage to other senditive & woody plants
    I have found that just spraying with Glyphosate to be pretty ineffective at total kill - it more just tends to really stunt the plant rather than wipe it out.

Whatever the process, it's a pita and prickly job!

Very Helpful Member

spray with kero throw in match job done you may also want to call the fire brigade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast