Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke oil question

Default 2 stroke oil question

Hi, I have few questions about 2 stroke oils. I am using Stihl 2stroke oil mixed at 50:1 in my Stihl blower and brushie. I have just bought a cheap hedge trimmer and it says to use a ratio of 50:1 fuel. Is it ok to use the same mix as the Stihl gear? Also if I used a different oil in my Stihl gear would it be mixed at 25:1, I am guessing it would depend on the oil. Sorry I am a bit confused with all the different oils and different machines with different ratios.

Thanks, hope this makes some sense.

Steve.

Default Re: 2 stroke oil question

I've always mixed 2 stroke at the oil manufacturers specs,not the machines and have never had any problems
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

I've wondered this too Steve. I have a cheap hedge trimmer and it doesn't seem happy at any oil/fuel ratio. Very smokey and the smelliest piece of equipment I've owned.

I have a 50:1 mix but lately when running it in my brushcutter (Mitsubishi powered Jonsered) it seems to be running very lean as it is producing a very light grey exhaust and cutting out not wanting to restart after say 10 - 15 minutes work. I'm thinking of mixing a 40 or 30 to 1 ratio to see if it makes a difference.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I've wondered this too Steve. I have a cheap hedge trimmer and it doesn't seem happy at any oil/fuel ratio. Very smokey and the smelliest piece of equipment I've owned.

I have a 50:1 mix but lately when running it in my brushcutter (Mitsubishi powered Jonsered) it seems to be running very lean as it is producing a very light grey exhaust and cutting out not wanting to restart after say 10 - 15 minutes work. I'm thinking of mixing a 40 or 30 to 1 ratio to see if it makes a difference.
    I thought it was 25:1 on most machines. I would try going 25:1 just make up a enough for one fuel tank and see how that runs. Not enough oil and you will burn out your rings. seen many mower shops full of machines cause people put fuel in them with no oil.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Yeah the rings or melting the piston was what I was worried about on Friday. There's a bit of a problem as a lot of newer oils say to mix to 50:1 but I reckon a lot of older machines would still be better served by 25:1 unless they are obviously very smokey and oiling up plugs.

Very Helpful Member

50:1 oils are designed to be mixed at 50:1 and usually are marked as meet or exceed either JASO FC/FD or ISO LEGD the mixing rate depends on the oil more than the machine there is no point in spending heaps for a top quality oil them mixing it at twice the amount you may as well buy a cheaper oil but in saying this i'm not to pedantic about my mixing and aim for somewhere around the 40:1-50:1 range
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

What model Stihl blower and brushcutter? If its a 4mix do not mix at 25:1 keep to 50:1 or you will carbon up the valve seats.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Steve
    I should have said in my earlier post that I run a FS85 AND BG86 at 50:1 as per recommended,my Pope hedge trimmer recommends 25:1 but I have run it on Stihl oil at 50:1 since new with no problems.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Thanks guys, I have a FS90 and BG86 Stihl tools. I do run them at 50:1 using the Stihl oil. I was just wondering about my cheap hedge trimmer. I have put in a 50:1 mix using the oil that came with the machine. 4 litres should last a while as I don't think i will be doing too much trimming. I only bought it because I was asked to trim a few photinia's today. I will probably just use the same mix as in the Stihl tools in the future if the trimmer doesn't blow up today.
    Steve.

Hi Steve, I do the same as Courty and use the 50:1 mix on my 25:1 trimmer too...so far so good

good argument for 4 strokes huh

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Thanks guys, I have a FS90 and BG86 Stihl tools. I do run them at 50:1 using the Stihl oil. I was just wondering about my cheap hedge trimmer. I have put in a 50:1 mix using the oil that came with the machine. 4 litres should last a while as I don't think i will be doing too much trimming. I only bought it because I was asked to trim a few photinia's today. I will probably just use the same mix as in the Stihl tools in the future if the trimmer doesn't blow up today.
    Steve.
    Hi Steve,

I've changed everything over to 50-1 since buying some echo oil, used it in my cheap stuff as well as my good stuff, and the hedger and pole hedge seem to go alright, like you I don't use them often so I empty them (and run them dry) and use the left over back in my brushcutters.

I tried 50:1 in my Sanli hedger around the house here yesterday (instead if the manufacturer's recommended 25:1) and it was a lot better. A lot less smoke and smell and better engine response.

Still not sure what to do with my Mitsubishi powered brushie though. For the first time ever it seems to be lean and hot on 50:1 whereas previously it has been fine on that mix?

Yes having all 4 strokes would be a big advantage. I finished the job, it went well. The hedger seemed to perform pretty well although the person on the end of it had a bit of trouble. My first real hedge job, but the man seemed happy enough and paid me so all good.
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Yes having all 4 strokes would be a big advantage. I finished the job, it went well. The hedger seemed to perform pretty well although the person on the end of it had a bit of trouble. My first real hedge job, but the man seemed happy enough and paid me so all good.
    Steve.
    Congrats on the first real hedge job! Good to knock over the milestones!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast