Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda 216 drive problem

Default Honda 216 drive problem

I have a 216 that is about 6mths old. It has recently developed a problem with the drive system slipping. when i engage it, it just shudders and I need to push it to get it to engage properly. The right rear tyre is bald, the left tyre has minimal wear. i have adjusted the drive cable and there has been an improvement but I still need to give it a "bit of a push' to engage the drive. I've now only got a few turns left on the cable before i run out of adjustment. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Is there something on the gearbox that I can adjust. will replacing the wheels assist.

Default Re: Honda 216 drive problem

Just adjust the cable some more and eventually you will have to replace it as they sometimes stretch over time. It may have been overtightened originally which could cause it to stretch a bit early. The wheels wouldnt make any difference. I used to prefer to have slicks on mine as you could turn quickly and not chew the grass up.

thanks for the reply. I didn't think the cable could stretch because it is steel cable! How is the cable attached to the gearbox end? is there adjustment there? Given that the mower is only 6 mths old it is surprising that I'm having this problem so soon, or is this normal. ( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR ) does anyone know where i can view a service manual online?

I was going to recomend taking it back under warrenty ,because i`am sure the gear clutches in the gear box have had it ..Start hunting for a new box...or rebuild it is fairly easy if you have some know how..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Would the drive system even be Honda?They're only a Honda motor I think
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...e/HRU216M1.pdf

Manual online for 216 i found this helpful a few times mate
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    thanks for the reply. I didn't think the cable could stretch because it is steel cable! How is the cable attached to the gearbox end? is there adjustment there? Given that the mower is only 6 mths old it is surprising that I'm having this problem so soon, or is this normal. ( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR ) does anyone know where i can view a service manual online?
    Same as a chainsaw chain. They stretch over time which is why they can be adjusted. There is a little nub that attaches on each end of the cable which will also snap overtime.

Could also be a PTO shaft on its way out. this will give the same symptoms, then eventually it will disintegrate. I have had at least 3 let go in 5 years .

My first Honda mower many years ago had this same problem from new, had it back to the dealer a few times and was told this is just how they are! The crappy thing didn't last long anyway before the rest of it fell apart. It was a very early steel body HRC it cost over $1500 back in the early 90's
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

I have a 216 that is about 6mths old. It has recently developed a problem with the drive system slipping. when i engage it, it just shudders and I need to push it to get it to engage properly. The right rear tyre is bald, the left tyre has minimal wear. i have adjusted the drive cable and there has been an improvement but I still need to give it a "bit of a push' to engage the drive. I've now only got a few turns left on the cable before i run out of adjustment. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Is there something on the gearbox that I can adjust. will replacing the wheels assist.
    I had this same problem recently it would not engage then make a hell of a noise and shudder and I would have to really push it to get it going. I adjusted the cable and it worked perfectly again.

not sure how to do it on the AGR machines but on the honda you adjust the nuts on the cable up near the lever.

Appreciate the advice here, was mowing a lawn yesterday and all of a sudden when the drive clutch was engaged the mower would shudder before taking off.

I remember this post, looked it up on my iphone. Adjusted the drive cable and away we went

Stihl chainsaw chains are pre strtch when you get them witch makes live eazer oragen and other brands you got to be carful..

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Same as a chainsaw chain. They stretch over time which is why they can be adjusted. There is a little nub that attaches on each end of the cable which will also snap overtime.
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR )
    Therin lies your problem.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

The clutch in the gearbox (3 speed) is a metal dog clutch - unless fully engaged it will jump to the next set of dog teeth.
    If one rear wheel is worn and the other is not, either you are mowing in little circles or the ratchet in the unworn wheel is not working properly.
    If you don't know how to repair your own gear, consider the saving on the internet purchase as a downpayment on taking the mower to a repair workshop.
    Good luck.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Honda hru216 gearbox breakdown
    Attached Images Attached Images

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast