Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Backpack Blower

Question Backpack Blower

I'm in the market for a backpack blower. Does anyone use them and have any preferences? What has served you well and why. Two needs are: Easy starting, Reliabilty. Weight would also be a possible concern. Some of these weigh 10kgs or so - how do you find that on your back??

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Backpack Blower

once it's on your back the weight isn't very important
    if you ever deal with mike at mt waverley see if he has any second hand ones i brought an ex council echo a few years ago at a good price
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Ive been using a 45cc (??) Kawi BP blower for a few years now. Been very reliable with minimal maintenance. The straps are perishing now and it needs a new primer bulb. At 45cc I woudnt want anything less but dont really think we need the most powerful machine out there for blowing down driveways etc either. They need the power in the USA for leaves etc.
    I am considering upgrading in a few mths for something a little more powerful. I will check out 65cc Tanaka but would look at 65cc Kawi as well. I believe Kawi are Maruyama.
    I believe the Shindaiwa EB802 (79cc) are worth looking at as well.

Once you use one you'll wonder how you got by without it. Pardon the pun but they low hand held away!

I have the Echo 66cc (I think?). Awesome machine with a massive amount of power. Had mine about two and a half years now and it has never let me down. All I have done in that time is change the plug and clean the exhaust once each. You can remove part of the tube so it is a bit easier to control. You lose a bit of power but it still has a huge amount of air at the end. It smashes carparks, tennis courts and any other open areas. When it is idling it will almost have the same amount of power as a handheld.

As for cleanups it just saves so much time. There is no need for shovelling gutters or footpaths, it will blow all dirt and debris very quickly. You can clean a house driveway by standing at the end of the driveway and pointing it at the leaves on it and they will disappear very quickly.

As far as comfort goes, once it is on your back yo hardly notice it. Just make sure you adjust the straps so it is comfortable for you. The only annoying things with backpacks is they take a fair bit of room up, and if you stop because someone wants to speak to you, you have to take it off to start it. I very rarely use my handheld blower, and when I do it just seems ridiculous how much more time it takes to clean something.

What sort of weight are the fellas?? Is 10kgs about right and how is that 10kgs on your back?? How long is an average time you keep it on for a domestic job??

Yeah its about 10kgs. Its fine when on your back once you have it adjusted to suit you. If you have it too low it will make you lean back. You just adjust 'til you don't notice it.
    It would be on your back for about a minute or so at a domestic job. I do a few tennis courts and charge $10 to do them and they take about 2-3 minutes to blow. It saves a huge amount of time.

Thanks Ian, mick , stripes!!!

I'm looking at them too. I have'nt used one before but I would think you would still need a handheld for small yards?? Or do you just chuck on the backback? I have to go out tomorrow and get a new hand held because some awsome person swiped mine today. The first thing I have had knocked. I put it down on top of the tool box while I ran in to get the money and when I come back out it's gone. No-one in the street, vanished. One of the neighbours have taken it coz there wasn't enough time to take it and run up the road. I'm gonna check who has the tidiest garden in the street next time I'm there.

Cheers Rick

Sorry to hear some arse clown stole your blower holdenhead.

I use my backpack for all my lawns no matter what the size. Once you start using it and get used to the power, the handhelds just seem useless. When I first bought mine I would still grab the handheld on really small jobs, but now its just backpack as it just makes it so much cleaner and faster. You point the backpack at some leaves on a driveway and it cleans about a 10m2 area in a few seconds. To do it with the handheld you have to walk right near them and follow them to where you want to blow them to.

I got the shindaiwa 79cc c4 and it is crazy...I will do a video on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Ive been using a 45cc (??) Kawi BP blower for a few years now. Been very reliable with minimal maintenance. The straps are perishing now and it needs a new primer bulb. At 45cc I woudnt want anything less but dont really think we need the most powerful machine out there for blowing down driveways etc either. They need the power in the USA for leaves etc.
    I am considering upgrading in a few mths for something a little more powerful. I will check out 65cc Tanaka but would look at 65cc Kawi as well. I believe Kawi are Maruyama.
    I believe the Shindaiwa EB802 (79cc) are worth looking at as well.

Once you use one you'll wonder how you got by without it. Pardon the pun but they low hand held away!
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Skating or surfing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Shoulda gone stihl.
    I have the stihl br600, got a shindy handheld sitting in the shed I have not used in over a year. That is how often I use a handheld now.

Do you think I should go get the biggest, baddest beast?? Or is a 50cc enough?? What is convenient, not too heavy, not too many parts hanging about everywhere, and COMFORTABLE??
    I have been thinking Kawa but if the biggest maybe shindy?? maybe even a stihl if its stihl starting???????? What has everyone got with good or bad points about them. I cant get one for a test drive for a day

Everyone says it and it is true once you get a backpack you won't go back. If I was asked what gear to buy to set up a mowing business a backpack would be high on the list. Why ? Because it will save time on each and every job . Yesterday I did a big cleanup at a commercial site big carpark leaves in the gutters wind blowing had to clean it up put on the blower and in 15 minutes the job was done if I was using a handheld I would still be there and it wouldn't have come up half as good. As for brand to buy I don't think you can go wrong with any brand they all are around 10kgs. Get at least a 50cc motor remember there is no substitute for cubic inches.My blower is a husqvarna 350bt I got a really good deal on this machine I was also looking at the stihl but whatever you buy you won't regret it

Just looking at the stats (I dont have a backpack blower yet) the Shindaiwa's engine may be more powerful but if you compare the air volume which is what really matters then the Stihl kills it.. 1720 m/3 h compared to about 1290 m/3 hour... air speed about the same. so the fan/turbine design or whateva you call plays a big part. The Stihl mentions low vibrations at 1.8 (m/s2) and the shindi doesnt say so I'm assuming its worse. Stihl is also 2kg's lighter so on paper I'd probably go the Stihl.. both mixture lubricated 4 strokes as well. We are very happy with the 4mix trimmers so I think we need to get one also!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast