Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make me grumpy

  1. #1486
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    Love it! I have a bagless vacuum cleaner so figure the cyclonic action of being beaten against all the rest of the dust and junk in there would at least make the thing feel very unwell if not actually kill it.

    Anyway I finally got up enough courage (after the 20th trip in to check it hadn't disappeared on me) to go in and spray it. Emptied half a can of Hovex on it to the point it was all white, fell on the bed and started running towards me with it's front legs in the air. Kids in the doorway screaming their heads off. I had to beat the thing with the can 4 times before it stopped moving. I have placed it's body outside as a warning to others of it's kind who might think the inside of my house seems like a nice place to get out of the wind and obviously pending rain. I don't play in your webs...don't play in my house.
    Lol... I can see this happening. One of my customers scared the bejus out of me last week in a similar way. She wanted a repair done to her watering system but I was out of the clamp I needed. She says I have some in the shed so in we go and she is rummaging through this tray asIi am looking for the bit I need. Well this little lizard takes off and she launches the tray and contents skywards and lets out this ear peircing scream that scares me. Made us both laugh.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  2. #1487
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Spraying that spider reminded me of an apparently true story I heard once Jo. These paramedics in Israel get called to a third story apartment building to respond to a man who has been seriously burned around the testicles. They get there and find the bloke with very badly burned nether regions and in agony. On questioning how he came to be in this way turns out his wife is much like you and had managed to capture a spider in the toilet bowl. So she tries to flush him but he don't sink too well and then the next step is spray him with baygon or whatever they use over there. A whole can of it gets emptied in the bowl and she retreats. Hubby comes in and needs to have a slash but she does not tell him what has occurred. Now he is a smoker and has a habit of throwing his butts in the toilet bowl and does so as he is going about his business

    KABOOOM

    The toilet goes up and hubby is thrown out the door with his crown jewels on fire. The paramedics on taking him downstairs on a stretcher are laughing that much they end up dropping him and he breaks a leg. As they say supposed to be a true story.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  3. #1488
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,817

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by SM MOWING View Post
    I saw more natural wild life than you would see at a zoo.
    I've lived in the bush all my life, and earlier last week I saw my first koala in the wild. I've seen their claw marks in tree trunks but I had never actually saw the koala.

    Talking to a local yesterday, he tells me they were quite prolific here in the not too distant past, but he hasn't seen one for many years. Chlamydia has decimated them.

  4. #1489
    Senior Member PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,993

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Full week again this week with some from last week still to do and I'm behind already today hobbling around like an invalid, barely being able to put weight on my left leg. Bloody doctor's changing meds around when things had been going okay.

  5. #1490
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,817

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Maintenance-free Spindles.
    I started noticing a bit of vibration in the deck of the zero turn late last week. Changed to my newest blades on the weekend but the vibration was still there. Mowed at my place for about an hour and had a good look. 2 of the spindles were too hot to hold. Took the belts off and the bearings sound like they are as dry as.

    The shop has been really good and will have a go at putting new bearings in on Wednesday (I've got to try to get a few hours work out of it tomorrow). Apparently it's hit or miss whether they can get the assemblies apart. If new assemblies are needed, it will probably be out of action until Friday.

    It should be covered by warranty luckily as the assemblies are $340 each, but it's the downtime thats the killer.

  6. #1491
    Member courty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Qld
    Posts
    2,347

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Maintenance-free Spindles.
    I started noticing a bit of vibration in the deck of the zero turn late last week. Changed to my newest blades on the weekend but the vibration was still there. Mowed at my place for about an hour and had a good look. 2 of the spindles were too hot to hold. Took the belts off and the bearings sound like they are as dry as.

    The shop has been really good and will have a go at putting new bearings in on Wednesday (I've got to try to get a few hours work out of it tomorrow). Apparently it's hit or miss whether they can get the assemblies apart. If new assemblies are needed, it will probably be out of action until Friday.

    It should be covered by warranty luckily as the assemblies are $340 each, but it's the downtime thats the killer.
    Aaahhh that old term "maintenance free". I don't think any company making any mechanical products has ever perfected that one.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

    http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

  7. #1492
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Bloody push bike riders. I am with Warnie on this. Make the bastards have rego so you can report them. I had the nearest near miss with one I have ever had this arvo. In roadwork doing 25 k coming up to a roundabout turning left with my blinker on. Slowed down a little to let a bloke turning right on the roundabout to clear then started to move out and make my turn when next minute out of nowhere a bike ride shoots down my left hand side at about 50kph. I hit him or he hit me because I heard the noise. He cleared through the roundabout wobbling but continued on . I gave him what for out my window. Bloody idiot scared the bejus out of me. No damge to my car. Hope it hurt him. Might teach him a lesson. Two more seconds or a bit faster on my behalf and he would have been coming in through my passenger window.

    Lycra Lunatics...ban the lot of them.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  8. #1493
    Senior Member HPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Got to my first job today.. A 2hr church mow.. and 20 mins in I blow the side out of the sidewall of a rear tyre on the ztr..big enough to put your hand through.. Then spent the next 4hrs and $300 getting a replacement..(for2) I thought 2hrs a fortnight at church would be enough for the big fella to look after me..especially on his job!
    Hunterpropertymaintenance@gmail.com
    Work to live, life's too short..
    Specialising in small and Large area collection mowing with Walker Mowers.

  9. #1494
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by HPM View Post
    Got to my first job today.. A 2hr church mow.. and 20 mins in I blow the side out of the sidewall of a rear tyre on the ztr..big enough to put your hand through.. Then spent the next 4hrs and $300 getting a replacement..(for2) I thought 2hrs a fortnight at church would be enough for the big fella to look after me..especially on his job!
    Ahhh to be sure ya dinna bless yerself afore startin...and ya shoulda said 2 Hail Marys and an Our Father....off to confession wit ya laddie.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  10. #1495
    Senior Member happymowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    trying to get rid of my pitas and scabs, but no one wants me to quit, lol

    i stood up to alot of mine in the last week, raised prices, lowered amt of weeks i will cover for the price (trying to get rid of the pitas and scabs) but no one will leave me lol.

    the last one i talked to said no way would she be getting a beer money bob as bluey put it.

    they want a pro job.

    obviously i been working too cheap and doing too good a job with it.

    oh well, stop the ads next week, and cruise a while on referrals and drive bys.

    (copied from my other post, too late to rewrite, lol)

    cheers

  11. #1496
    Senior Member Mrs HMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne outer east
    Posts
    1,766

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    That's the ultimate win....turn a scab or pita in to a good client who appreciates what your work is worth. Sometimes you can turn em.
    ~ Joanne ~

  12. #1497

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Bloody push bike riders. I am with Warnie on this. Make the bastards have rego so you can report them. I had the nearest near miss with one I have ever had this arvo. In roadwork doing 25 k coming up to a roundabout turning left with my blinker on. Slowed down a little to let a bloke turning right on the roundabout to clear then started to move out and make my turn when next minute out of nowhere a bike ride shoots down my left hand side at about 50kph. I hit him or he hit me because I heard the noise. He cleared through the roundabout wobbling but continued on . I gave him what for out my window. Bloody idiot scared the bejus out of me. No damge to my car. Hope it hurt him. Might teach him a lesson. Two more seconds or a bit faster on my behalf and he would have been coming in through my passenger window.

    Lycra Lunatics...ban the lot of them.
    I find the young ladies to be a bit easier on the eye and the nerves!!
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  13. #1498
    Senior Member happymowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    That's the ultimate win....turn a scab or pita in to a good client who appreciates what your work is worth. Sometimes you can turn em.
    i have a good system for turning one offs into what i call a regular, and now i am converting what i call a regular into what guys like bluey call regulars. (booking em in for the next mow when i do todays mow.)

    someones gotta mow their lawn next time, dont see why it cant be me

    some guys cant be bothered to do the extra work to turn em, and thats where i been having success

  14. #1499
    Senior Member HPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i have a good system for turning one offs into what i call a regular, and now i am converting what i call a regular into what guys like bluey call regulars. (booking em in for the next mow when i do todays mow.)

    someones gotta mow their lawn next time, dont see why it cant be me

    some guys cant be bothered to do the extra work to turn em, and thats where i been having success
    I've always written on the back of a business card when the next mow is booked and give it to them when you collect the money..
    That way they have your number and know when you will be back.
    Also they can hand the older cards to their friends...
    Hunterpropertymaintenance@gmail.com
    Work to live, life's too short..
    Specialising in small and Large area collection mowing with Walker Mowers.

  15. #1500
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i have a good system for turning one offs into what i call a regular, and now i am converting what i call a regular into what guys like bluey call regulars. (booking em in for the next mow when i do todays mow.)

    someones gotta mow their lawn next time, dont see why it cant be me

    some guys cant be bothered to do the extra work to turn em, and thats where i been having success
    A lot of my regulars came to me as one off jobs. I personnally think it is a must to upsell your business. If you just do the job and walk away then someone else will gain from it. Do the hard yards first and they can see what you do and like it. Although this is nothing new and I reckon most of us probably do it.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Page 100 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •