Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make me grumpy

  1. #1576
    Senior Member happymowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    sorry for double post - if you just HAVE to keep the auto make sure you got a good trans cooler on it too.

    still didnt help mine

  2. #1577

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    I would consider getting a few other quotes


    Simmo.
    I would if I thought it was not right but their is about $3000 in materials. The extension was done on the cheap and we knew that when we bought it. Not only the clip lock roofing, but 2 lenghts of guttering, lengths of flashing, ceiling fan, whirlybird, downpipes to watertanks, flexipoint material etc etc and a little for unexpected items when we pull up the old metal roof. He will give me a final costing which is likely to be about $4200 but said to allow 5 big ones just in case
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  3. #1578
    Senior Member gcsmow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tolga N.Q.
    Posts
    1,391

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    What sort of ute ? And what is exactly the problem ? I had an AU Falcon wagon and one time the fluid level got a bit low and that would cause it to slip, changed and topped up the oil and it was good as new again. I bought this AU Falcon station wagon which had a stuffed auto, I was quoted about $3000 to fix it. I bought a 2 nd hand auto from the wreckers for $500 got my dad to help me fit it and we put on a big cooler and got it serviced. It went for about 2 years towing my big heavy 60 inch ZTR around. I serviced it every 12 months and it was great. I have since traded it in but it was a good car. Try the wreckers is my advice, you might get lucky, but there are no guarantees. When you drain the oil on the replacement box look carefully for bits of metal and smell the oil, if it has a burnt smell and is really dirty don't buy it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bgs View Post
    Just As I was starting to enjoy the fruits of a late wet season the Auto transmission in my ute died on Friday morning
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

  4. #1579
    Senior Member Kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    chinchilla qld
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    solar companies that disappear off the face of this earth. and manuals for inverters that have been translated from chinese

  5. #1580
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    getting woken up at 2.oo because "there is a spider in th bed" not sure if im grumpy with the other half or the spider
    So who killed it or removed it?
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  6. #1581
    Senior Member Scooby Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i must have told my story about that several times here.

    autos are no good for towing.

    i blew up mine in the ford, $2500 later (and had trans cooler fitted) it overheated after 13 months, 12 months warranty wouldnt you know/

    autos are no good for towing.

    sorry to hear you learnt the hard way too mate
    What model Ford was it?

  7. #1582
    Senior Member happymowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    What model Ford was it?
    auIII / 2002 model "falcon ute"

    i was told (by my mechanic) they have nowhere to top up the trans oil

    it didnt have a trans cooler (until i had the exchange g/box put in)

    and went into "limp home mode" when it overheated (your "econ" light flashes, and the gears dont work properly, changing really late i think it was)

    the mechanic had been telling me for years it wasnt the sort of vehicle i wanted (for towing and heavy loads) but i stuck my head in the sand till too late

    theyre basically a passenger falcon with a different body, only meant to haul a couple tool boxes and the dog in.

    the new ones are de-rated to 500kg capacity and the body pops like a coke can (my neighbour got a new one and is VERY displeased with them.)

    danger will robinson - dont use an auto for towing - and dont use a "non commercial" ute for it either - just like we talk about "real" mowers, theres "real" utes too.

    false economy and all that

  8. #1583
    Senior Member Mrs HMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne outer east
    Posts
    1,766

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    getting woken up at 2.oo because "there is a spider in th bed" not sure if im grumpy with the other half or the spider
    That right there is my worst nightmare. The spider, not the waking up thing.
    ~ Joanne ~

  9. #1584
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    I woke up once in the bush with this big kick arse spider sitting on my face. There was another time when we had a 7 foot taipan crawl between my partner and me while we lay in our swags. He actually tried to crawl over my mossie net which was the only thing between him and me. Spiders are ok but snakes are not. Oh and not to mention when I got a cock roach crawl in my ear and die and infect my ear.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  10. #1585
    Senior Member Scooby Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Hi happymowin your correct about the trans cooler a must for towing i'd have to disagree about towing with an auto though as long as you fit the cooler and get them serviced (where possible) every 2 years you can get quite at decent run out of them (well most of them lol).

  11. #1586
    Senior Member Kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    chinchilla qld
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I woke up once in the bush with this big kick arse spider sitting on my face. There was another time when we had a 7 foot taipan crawl between my partner and me while we lay in our swags. He actually tried to crawl over my mossie net which was the only thing between him and me. Spiders are ok but snakes are not. Oh and not to mention when I got a cock roach crawl in my ear and die and infect my ear.
    Ah.cockroaches.yuk.i think id cut my ear off. The spider is still alive as somone dithered and let it escape.this had better not be a grounghog day thing

  12. #1587
    Senior Member PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,993

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    After having used the AU with the auto for around 16 months now I don't really want to go back to the manual box in the Hilux (whenever that might be). Reversing and towing in general is so much better with an auto.

    Change the fluid every twelve months and just let the engine and box do the work, don't try to drive it too hard and I've never had a problem in anything with an auto that I've towed with.

  13. #1588
    Senior Member Bgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    sorry for double post - if you just HAVE to keep the auto make sure you got a good trans cooler on it too.

    still didnt help mine

    Thanks for the advice Happy will keep it in mind when I get another ute. It has been used as my business vehicle for 4 years now so have had a good run.

  14. #1589
    Senior Member Bgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    What sort of ute ? And what is exactly the problem ? I had an AU Falcon wagon and one time the fluid level got a bit low and that would cause it to slip, changed and topped up the oil and it was good as new again. I bought this AU Falcon station wagon which had a stuffed auto, I was quoted about $3000 to fix it. I bought a 2 nd hand auto from the wreckers for $500 got my dad to help me fit it and we put on a big cooler and got it serviced. It went for about 2 years towing my big heavy 60 inch ZTR around. I serviced it every 12 months and it was great. I have since traded it in but it was a good car. Try the wreckers is my advice, you might get lucky, but there are no guarantees. When you drain the oil on the replacement box look carefully for bits of metal and smell the oil, if it has a burnt smell and is really dirty don't buy it.
    Its a Rodeo, Thanks for the advice will see what the mechanic says and weigh up my options then.

  15. #1590
    Senior Member happymowin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    head in the sand guys, head in the sand


Page 106 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •