Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make me grumpy

  1. #151
    Member of forum johnnie5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eastern States
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    slow leak, check the valve

    get a spray bottle and some soapy water and spray everywhere , you will find it soon enough , just look for the bubbles

    if its that slow a leak just keep putting air in it

  2. #152
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Bodgey irrigation systems make me grumpy!
    Turn the system on and there's a leaking pipe. Repair the leak, turn it back on, and there is another leak 2 metres further down the pipe. This has happened 3 times on this job and the leaks are underneath some weedmat below some overgrown shrubby Roses and other plants. All the sprinklers in the garden are bodgey micro sprays that I don't carry so have to make a special trip to my supplier just to get some. I also found two leaks in the pipes for the lawn sprinklers which were buried about 2cm under the turf. Nice!
    I hear you mate. Been there done that. I actually add extra on to irrigation jobs because of unforseen stuff. I reckon we should be like electricians. If it pops up after the quote charge extra
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  3. #153
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Where you livin Kevy boy the Ghetto?????????
    No it is the ghetto s**t that go out thieving from decent hard working blokes like Kev. If I had my way I would put them up against a wall and end it there and then I hate thieves with a passion. In the Navy we had a very good way of dealing with a thief. It was strange but every thief I knew of ended up with all ten fingers broken because a armoured hatch cover fell on his hands just as he was climbing out. Funny how it worked out that way and then he got trooped and transferred to the military prison. One place you don't want to go.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  4. #154
    Member kevtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oxenford Qld
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    thanks Bluey, feel the same.....when I was in the army, thieves were not tolerated and justice was delivired swiftly via those who had been stolen from, and then a trip with the MP's. I had a tour of DB....not a place I would like to be visiting...maybe our prisons here could learn a thing or two !!!!! Beer time...that makes me happy

  5. #155
    Member Of Forum MowerRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Bodgey irrigation systems make me grumpy!
    Turn the system on and there's a leaking pipe. Repair the leak, turn it back on, and there is another leak 2 metres further down the pipe. This has happened 3 times on this job and the leaks are underneath some weedmat below some overgrown shrubby Roses and other plants. All the sprinklers in the garden are bodgey micro sprays that I don't carry so have to make a special trip to my supplier just to get some. I also found two leaks in the pipes for the lawn sprinklers which were buried about 2cm under the turf. Nice!
    I hear ya, fixed 3 leaks yesterday at one property were the very smart occupants thought it would be a great idea to turn there garden over right next to the solenoid box. Garden forks and poly pipe dont go well together.

    Just finished that job received another call from another client to say their pop ups wouldnt turn off completely (knew it would be a solenoid problem) but the main problem was finding the box. An hr later and a lot of digging we find it( traced the red cable). An Abelia was planted smack bang on top of it.
    The landscaping and irrigation was done by the same ppl(not me). Client was very happy that we found it and fixed it. I wasnt very happy with the Landscaper, there about level begging with pergola builders who dont leave a gap when gutters meet to clean them out.

  6. #156
    Member kevtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oxenford Qld
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    thanks to all for your comments......it's a PITA, borrow stuff , then need to buy new equipment, apparently it's not covered if it's not locked in your trailer ???? so there's a couple of $$$$ plus the fact that these fuc.....rs have been in my property going through my stuff

  7. #157
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by kevtan View Post
    Beer time...that makes me happy
    Me too mate. Especially because tomorrow is Australia Day. What unit were you with mate. My offsider is a 21 yr Army man with 6 RAR and my best mate did 21 too as a tankie.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  8. #158
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by kevtan View Post
    thanks to all for your comments......it's a PITA, borrow stuff , then need to buy new equipment, apparently it's not covered if it's not locked in your trailer ???? so there's a couple of $$$$ plus the fact that these fuc.....rs have been in my property going through my stuff
    Mate here s a tip. because it was stolen at home try it on your house insurance.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  9. #159
    Member kevtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oxenford Qld
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    I was in the South African Defence Force for a few years......a PTI in the Artillery 4th Field Regiment. Have joined up with the local RSL. Possibly looking to join the Reserve's not to sure They have a unit here on the Gold Coast, Are you still involved ?

  10. #160
    Member of Forum Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baulkham Hills
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post
    Just finished that job received another call from another client to say their pop ups wouldnt turn off completely (knew it would be a solenoid problem) but the main problem was finding the box. An hr later and a lot of digging we find it( traced the red cable). An Abelia was planted smack bang on top of it.
    You have to love it when they plant stuff right next to the valve box. I had a job a few months back where they planted a Cycad right next to a valve box with 3 valves in it. Was an absolute ***** to re wire it. The leaves were about 1.2m long. I tried to tie it up but I still got cut to pieces from it. I looked like a junkie afterwards.

    I bought a wire locator about 3 months ago for finding lost valves. Only used it a couple of times so far but it is excellent. You just connect the transmitter to the wire you are looking for (at the controller) and just follow the beeps until it stops beeping. Dig around and you have your fault. I'm charging big coin to pull it out. The job I was at today will need it on Thursday. They have had some plumbing work done and I think they have butchered all the wires.

  11. #161
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by kevtan View Post
    I was in the South African Defence Force for a few years......a PTI in the Artillery 4th Field Regiment. Have joined up with the local RSL. Possibly looking to join the Reserve's not to sure They have a unit here on the Gold Coast, Are you still involved ?
    A bloody PTI.......Gawd help me but I hated you blokes...lol. Only joking mate. Your ilk did give us **** until we could best them and that was hard to do.

    In the Navy the PTI's had this torture called wall bars. The gym was surrounded by these walls of bars that you had to haul yourself up by just your arms. If you or another of your squad f**ked up then the PTI would shout "Wall Bars" and we had to haul ourselves to the top and hang there until he felt nice enough to let us down.

    I joined Fisheries with an ex SADF bloke who told me the most funniest stories. Mate I am a member of the RSL and do the dawn service every year. At 52 I am too old to be involved anymore but I still have the fire.
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  12. #162
    Senior Member cadase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Alberton SA
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by kevtan View Post
    thanks to all for your comments......it's a PITA, borrow stuff , then need to buy new equipment, apparently it's not covered if it's not locked in your trailer ???? so there's a couple of $$$$ plus the fact that these fuc.....rs have been in my property going through my stuff
    shouldn't household insurance cover it

  13. #163
    Senior Member GreenHaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Southern Burbs
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    You have to love it when they plant stuff right next to the valve box. I had a job a few months back where they planted a Cycad right next to a valve box with 3 valves in it. Was an absolute ***** to re wire it. The leaves were about 1.2m long. I tried to tie it up but I still got cut to pieces from it. I looked like a junkie afterwards.

    I bought a wire locator about 3 months ago for finding lost valves. Only used it a couple of times so far but it is excellent. You just connect the transmitter to the wire you are looking for (at the controller) and just follow the beeps until it stops beeping. Dig around and you have your fault. I'm charging big coin to pull it out. The job I was at today will need it on Thursday. They have had some plumbing work done and I think they have butchered all the wires.
    ahh i need one of those. i'd like to get into irrigation repair as i always get people asking for it but i need one of those for finding the broken wires and the other device that pulses the solinodes so you can find them under neath the dirt when people dont mark the or use valve boxs. One of my customers had a leaky valves and i asked him where they were he said under the lawn somewhere (hes got 40sqm of couch turf) i said get a retic dude in

  14. #164
    Member of Forum Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baulkham Hills
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHaven View Post
    ahh i need one of those. i'd like to get into irrigation repair as i always get people asking for it but i need one of those for finding the broken wires and the other device that pulses the solinodes so you can find them under neath the dirt when people dont mark the or use valve boxs. One of my customers had a leaky valves and i asked him where they were he said under the lawn somewhere (hes got 40sqm of couch turf) i said get a retic dude in
    There is so much bodgey irrigation work around! Some of the stuff I come across amazes me. The incorrect placement of sprinklers is the biggest pita I come across. It does my head in.
    The locator cost almost 3k, but it will pay for itself long term.

  15. #165
    MEMBER Fred's mowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    bayside melb
    Posts
    3,214

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    There is so much bodgey irrigation work around! Some of the stuff I come across amazes me. The incorrect placement of sprinklers is the biggest pita I come across. It does my head in.
    The locator cost almost 3k, but it will pay for itself long term.
    Hi stripes, I know exactly what your on about, could'nt count the number of times Ive had to locate valves. The rediculous places, ya wonder what ppl were thinking???
    Even if they're reasonably well located in a proper valve box, Id much prefer to see them above ground & disguised 4 access reasons.
    I love the ones mounted against a wall in a solid box at about a meter high.Great access, no soil, no roots, no bending & the spiders r easier to see.
    Only prob with these is that if they let go it can get a little messy
    Cheers Dean.

Page 11 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •