Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make me grumpy

  1. #16
    Member geoff1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    melbourne area
    Posts
    1,240

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    Those bloody red volcanic rocks!
    yeh 10 out of 10 on that one fairdinkum also the small white pebbles people use a lot on there garden beds ... one of my clients has them and there every where = told her sorry no more mowing til there cleaned up , she said whats the problem your insured , i replyed yeh i am but for accidents and im under obligation to protect my insurer and to keep mowing this insurance would proberly regaurd it as stupidity and neglegence....

  2. #17
    Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cranbourne vic
    Posts
    2,680

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    And for @ods sake why do people insist on having no defined edge between the stones and their grass. So all the stones just end up intermingled with the lawn. So when you wipper the edges all you are doing is sending more stones out onto the lawn.
    Last edited by Cranbourne Lawnmowing; 01-11-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: More ranting

  3. #18
    Senior Member Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,863

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Yep, stones, scoria, big lumps of bark. If i get them as new clients I tell them straight up I am taking no responsibility for broken windows or any other damage caused by them.

    Getting the same rush of green grass loonies over here too. Had one send me an email today referring to my quote for her over grown block and wanting to know if the $150 included green waste removal. It didn't ring a bell so went back through my estimate requests. She had asked for a quote but had not given me an addresss so I sent an email back asking for it. That was a couple of weeks ago. Told her I wouldn't go anywhere near an overgrown block for that type of money and said I am happy to quote but it will be more than $150
    Cheers

    Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au


    "Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

  4. #19
    Senior Member cadase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Alberton SA
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yep, stones, scoria, big lumps of bark. If i get them as new clients I tell them straight up I am taking no responsibility for broken windows or any other damage caused by them.

    Getting the same rush of green grass loonies over here too. Had one send me an email today referring to my quote for her over grown block and wanting to know if the $150 included green waste removal. It didn't ring a bell so went back through my estimate requests. She had asked for a quote but had not given me an addresss so I sent an email back asking for it. That was a couple of weeks ago. Told her I wouldn't go anywhere near an overgrown block for that type of money and said I am happy to quote but it will be more than $150
    I do a fair bit of overgrown blocks, $150 would be a descent price, but greenwaste stays where it lands, i use a Deutscher slasher pretty easy money, if the block's clean

  5. #20
    Senior Member Anjaryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ballarat
    Posts
    317

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Did a regular the other day, been doing it for 14 months now, well I hit a pile of stones and one flicked out and hit a garden ornament (wooden birdcage... ugly as) smashed it to pieces, well she arced up say I need to be more careful and I should pay for it to be replaced.... asked her where the stones came from and she said straight away her grandson had been playing with them.. I politely requested she send her grandson the bill and also he should stop putting projectiles on the lawn as I wouldn't accept responsibility for any damage caused to her property and she would be paying for damage caused to my equipment.

  6. #21
    Senior Member geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    3,403

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    spose many have this one ..old old old lady request quote and accepts ..will be there on thursday mrs ..well roll up to find another contactor going to town on the job...knocked on the door to ask WTF is going on ..but in a most polite way of course...shes says who are you ???? what do you do ..what would you do ??? the old mind of oldies can be testing ..nothing much one can do on this one

  7. #22
    Senior Member simo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ballina Far north nsw (Paradise)
    Posts
    1,004

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    A couple yrs ago i was asked to mow a lawn by a sweet old lady, nice neat lawn looked like it had just been cut.Mowed it charged accordingly turned up two weeks later same thing nice and neat looked fresh cut but did it any way as was requested..drive by the next week to see another grumpy lawnie (That i know) there mowing.I say whats the go your on my turf, he says nah I been doing this one for yrs ,some other mongrel lawnie has been trying to take my job..Turns out she has alzheimer`s so i just stopped going..HE`s still mowing it though probably doing it 3 times a week
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

  8. #23
    Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cranbourne vic
    Posts
    2,680

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Customers that get prices for mowing and putting clippings in their green waste bins. You turn up and their bin is full of general rubbish. Then they complain that their bin didn't get emptied cause it was too heavy or why are you not catching the clippings or what I've got to pay extra for ....what!
    Then they will complain about the cost of their rates. Well I'm not surprised, the council has to employ who knows how many extra people to separate all the rubbish each year!

  9. #24
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,780

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    And for @ods sake why do people insist on having no defined edge between the stones and their grass. So all the stones just end up intermingled with the lawn. So when you wipper the edges all you are doing is sending more stones out onto the lawn.
    i won't brushcut close to garden beds with stones and no edges i spray with glyph if the client isn't happy with that they can put in edging or get someone else it's not worth the risk
    and to answer your question it's because they have no idea some 1/2 wit has suggested it and they go yeah great idea
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  10. #25
    Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cranbourne vic
    Posts
    2,680

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    i won't brushcut close to garden beds with stones and no edges i spray with glyph if the client isn't happy with that they can put in edging or get someone else it's not worth the risk
    and to answer your question it's because they have no idea some 1/2 wit has suggested it and they go yeah great idea
    Yeah agree with the Glypho thats what I do on regs now

  11. #26
    Member of Forum Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baulkham Hills
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    You turn up and their bin is full of general rubbish. Then they complain that their bin didn't get emptied cause it was too heavy or why are you not catching the clippings or what I've got to pay extra for ....what!
    Then they will complain about the cost of their rates. Well I'm not surprised, the council has to employ who knows how many extra people to separate all the rubbish each year!
    I can't believe how many people throw their general rubbish in the green bin!
    You go to empty the catcher, open the lid and there are a couple of bags of rubbish in there. Some people are just useless.

  12. #27
    Senior Member fairdinkum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Clair NSW
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    At least they put it in the bin. Without being racist I would say there is a certain ethnic group in the wentworthville area who I believe have no idea what that big green thing on wheels is for.

    Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642


    fairdinkumlawns.com.au

    facebook page

  13. #28
    Senior Member GreenHaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Southern Burbs
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    classic thread. i got a call a few weeks back at 11am from a feller wanting his lawn mowed befor his rent inpecton at 2 pm(also said to leave the bill and he would direct debit it into my account haha genuis) I politly said no thanks but i cruized past on the way home and it was about 100sqm of cruddy looking lawn a foot tall in some places. Had to laugh about that one

  14. #29
    Member geoff1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    melbourne area
    Posts
    1,240

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Customers that get prices for mowing and putting clippings in their green waste bins. You turn up and their bin is full of general rubbish. Then they complain that their bin didn't get emptied cause it was too heavy or why are you not catching the clippings or what I've got to pay extra for ....what!
    Then they will complain about the cost of their rates. Well I'm not surprised, the council has to employ who knows how many extra people to separate all the rubbish each year!
    dont realy have that problem cranbourne my opitions are , mulch , catch and place in there bin , or take them away and for this i charge big $$$$ , a few of my clients where very good at making sure there bins where full of crap before i visited , so i just took the waste away to keep them happy although i told them many times so one day i cracked the ****s and charged them like a wounded bull = very rare now that there bins are full when i turn up i also tell tell them now if the clippings dont fit in green waste bin an additional cost of xxx amount to take them away and reminded them thats the agreement or find some one else .... more than one way to beat them at that game ...

  15. #30
    Senior Member PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,993

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHaven View Post
    classic thread. i got a call a few weeks back at 11am from a feller wanting his lawn mowed befor his rent inpecton at 2 pm(also said to leave the bill and he would direct debit it into my account haha genuis) I politly said no thanks but i cruized past on the way home and it was about 100sqm of cruddy looking lawn a foot tall in some places. Had to laugh about that one
    My plan with ones like that is I will fit them in if I can but on my terms.

    Payment up-front after quoting and before starting the job .

    Sometimes it works - most times they're like, "What you can't demand that!"

    Hops in truck and drives away.

Page 2 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •