Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Things that make me grumpy

  1. #4051
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    No grass cutter - you cannot claim Parking fines, speeding fines, and other traffic infringements as a business expense.

    Business, personal, government employee, not for profit - fines are simply not deductible to anybody.

    That link you posted was for items that are deductible - and fines are NOT included.

    Fines are not Running expenses.
    Fines are not Deductions for premises or assets you buy or use
    Fines are not Worker-related deductions.

    Yes, some businesses 'may' have paid fines for an employee - but that cost is not a tax deduction.

    Yes, some business owners have called it something else and claimed a deduction. This is not correct or propper - and in some (most?) cases is deliberately dishonest

    Well ... reminds me when I used to live/work in ACT .... and the new Parliament house construction was under way ... "fast track" was the methodology ... which basically meant you almost drew some of the plans/doco after the build ...
    A then work colleague was a technical writer and had worked on the parliament house project.
    To get some of the info needed to writeup documentation which reflected "reality" of what was there meant "chats" / " interviews" with builders, tradies etc... which took place at a nearby watering hole.
    Apparently it was funded by the project and "booked out" as "industrial lubricant" for petty cash claims.
    Bit like my dad told me that a neigbour after a good wool sale would go to Dalgety's (stock agent .. precurser of Landmark) and book out some "drench" for himself (aka Johnny Walker ... when they used to sell the stuff) along with the Thibenzole (worm drench) for the sheep.

    Those were the days...

  2. #4052
    Senior Member glassngrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sale, Vic
    Posts
    1,415

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    A then work colleague was a technical writer and had worked on the parliament house project.
    To get some of the info needed to writeup documentation which reflected "reality" of what was there meant "chats" / " interviews" with builders, tradies etc... which took place at a nearby watering hole.
    I understand that refreshments during a business meeting are deductible - but usually that means coffee, tea, juice...
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

  3. #4053
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    Can see it now carved on his headstone "But I had right of way" - you could add a nice little tyre tread pattern for artsy fartsy effect - ( prob'ly in hot pink.)

    His family could claim the headstone as a running expense. boom tish.

  4. #4054
    Senior Member 4 Gardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calwell ACT
    Posts
    662

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    His family could claim the headstone as a running expense. boom tish.

    Good one steve.

  5. #4055
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,817

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    I decided to renew my front deck, so went to the hardware shop on Thursday to find out price & availability of some joists. Had plenty at reasonable price but I couldn't grab them as I didn't have the racks on the ute.
    I ripped the old deck down yesterday arvo, put the racks on the ute and drove into town(30km) to pick up the timber this morning. Apparently someone sideswiped the timber shed with the forklift yesterday and OH&S rules won't let anyone into the shed until it is repaired or cleared as safe sometime next week.

    Told them there was more chance of me strolling out of my front doors into mid air than that shed falling down on anyone, but they wouldn't let me in.

  6. #4056
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    bottling the home brew today. Had around 15 bottles filled at my feet that just needed the cap screwed on and while I'm filling one it slips from my hand and knocks over every one of em bar one. Mad scramble to pick em all up, all of em lost some fluid. Its a double whammy because I refilled them all but it means the corbanation won't be right because the sugar had already been added. Made a mess too.

  7. #4057
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    2,075

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    bottling the home brew today. Had around 15 bottles filled at my feet that just needed the cap screwed on and while I'm filling one it slips from my hand and knocks over every one of em bar one. Mad scramble to pick em all up, all of em lost some fluid. Its a double whammy because I refilled them all but it means the corbanation won't be right because the sugar had already been added. Made a mess too.
    Wouldn't that p*ss ya off.
    Just checked Boozle.com and Crown Lager is on at $40 at 1st Choice and all the BWS outlets in Can Bearer. So the day can be saved.
    Cheers Garry

  8. #4058
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    .... Crown Lager is on at $40 ..... in Can Bearer.
    Steveo, buy that & you won't be a can bearer but a bottle bearer

  9. #4059
    Member hjl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stanthorpe Qld
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Did a quote yesterday. Mow and trim $60. Get this. Too dear. The person getting quote gets it mow only for $40. The invalid pensioner uses her mower and fuel and does not trim edges. He doesn't own a line trimmer.
    So $40 is cheap (supplying fuel and mower) and $60 is too dear. Really makes you wonder. This makes me grumpy.
    Cheers
    hjl

  10. #4060
    Senior Member Arfa Brayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The 'Gong.
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    Did a quote yesterday. Mow and trim $60. Get this. Too dear. The person getting quote gets it mow only for $40. The invalid pensioner uses her mower and fuel and does not trim edges. He doesn't own a line trimmer.
    So $40 is cheap (supplying fuel and mower) and $60 is too dear. Really makes you wonder. This makes me grumpy.
    Cheers
    hjl
    Don't be grumpy, you dodged a bullet ! Jobs like that only degrade. Eventually they p!ss you off so much you give 'em the flick.

    Had a call for a quote Monday, could tell by the phone call the bloke was a pita. (he must have used the word "discount" 10x times) 1 street away from where i was so I went around.
    When I pulled up he's already outside - bloke in his 50's still living with Mum & Dad.
    I didn't even get out of the truck -
    me- "hey I remember you - quoted you for some work about 3 years ago"
    him - 'busted' expression on his face
    me- "not interested - find someone else"
    him - "why don't you want the job ??"
    me- "'cause I remember how much you stuffed me around last time - try Jims"
    he followed the truck the length of the footpath as I drove off.

    Picked up another 2x permanents later that day - nice people referred from existing clients.

    Crappy customers make your day crap, good customers make mowing lawns a pleasant way to earn a quid.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

  11. #4061
    Member hjl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stanthorpe Qld
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    As usual good advise Arfa. I think you are right about dodging a bullet.
    Cheers
    hjl

  12. #4062
    Senior Member 4 Gardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calwell ACT
    Posts
    662

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post

    Crappy customers make your day crap, good customers make mowing lawns a pleasant way to earn a quid.
    Absolutely, too true

  13. #4063
    Member Macka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Drop a dear old customer the other day, basically the daughter got involved trying to save her mum a dollar, got her mum to ring me and question what i had charged, I said that's the minimum i charge for any job, she said she would ring me when she wanted the lawns done again, I said ok . I thought about it for a few minutes and rang her back and told her she needed to get someone else. Happy now

  14. #4064
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Drop a dear old customer the other day, basically the daughter got involved trying to save her mum a dollar, got her mum to ring me and question what i had charged, I said that's the minimum i charge for any job, she said she would ring me when she wanted the lawns done again, I said ok . I thought about it for a few minutes and rang her back and told her she needed to get someone else. Happy now
    i can relate to that. every time I have dealt with another family member i.e. not the owner of the house that actually just wants the work done, it becomes a mess. Kids are often are well meaning but really do forget that there parents know more than them and generally know what they want and know what it costs.

  15. #4065
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Re: Things that make me grumpy

    Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Steveo, buy that & you won't be a can bearer but a bottle bearer
    mate, that joke is unbearable.

Page 271 of 331 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •