Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Client Job Question

Default Client Job Question

Just throwing this little story to the forum for a few opinions to sway my mind in thought as its bugging me.

I've recently started servicing a mega 2 story granduer rural property that is fit to host invite style elegant functions, host garden shows as it's a spectacular property.
    I travel 70ks round trip to get there and chew a quarter of a tank in fuel re the ute. I have to take every lawn/gardening tool I own. SP, ride on, big ladders, wheelbarrows, multi extendable hedger and pole saws. I'm fully loaded for the trip.
    As I can be asked to mow big lawns or rural entry gate areas etc.

Mainly for the moment I have been asked to hedge all day using my extended hedger as this property has an incredable amount of high hedges to be trimmed. So wear on the husky hedge is high with non stop usage.
    I'm there first decided gardener apart from a mowing guy they have had prior. As the lady has been bogged down doing the gardening and house cleaning and up keep of this huge house. Basically she wants to get her life back. They struggle to attract gardeners and house cleaning people due to being out of town a little.
    She is a very nice person and a great host during the day.
    I asked for honest feedback on what I invoiced and charged for the previous visit. Which was $40 per hr inc of GST, so I personally receive $36.40.
    She said her husband went off about the amount I charged for 6 hrs work. Outside of the 6 hrs, I have 1 hr travel round trip.
    I know I'm losing other jobs from working there as my phone rings say 5 times a day and I can't respond till I pack up and leave the property and by that time it's too late. Also I can't roster other clients at the end of the day as I might be late leaving and getting back to urban areas in time for say another 2 hr job to close the day.
    Today I was asked to finish a little earlier, as I think she was worried about my hrly rate re her husband.

My heart tells me to finish up next week and disapoint the lady. I know that when all the property maintenance is up show piece standard again, I will be cut back to general lighter maintence and maybe lawns. Currently I'm visiting weekly, but I can sense fortnightly after next week.
    The property is a show piece already, but they desire perfection with hedge trimming and ivory detail.
    Today I could have made equal or more $$'s closer to town and had more personal freedom in movement throughout the day, ie responding to my mobile or even just a sit down break in my ute cabin under a tree after each job.
    Guess I can read the opinions already as typing this has me even sader doing this job.

Thanks,
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Client Job Question

I asked for honest feedback on what I invoiced and charged for the previous visit. Which was $40 per hr inc of GST, so I personally receive $36.40.

sorry to disappoint you but after you deduct wear n tare of the equipment and petrol your making quite a bit less and you maybe should point out that it isn't really 6 hours but with travel time it's a full day
    i would probably suggest moving to fortnightly visits if possible and filling in the other day this way if the situation is still the same you wont lose 1 day a week when you leave as for $40 an hour that's a good price and cheaper than me
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Thats a hard one mate. Sounds like it would be a great garden to be working in but a pain being a long trip where you go out of mobile service. I dont mate go with what your heart desires.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Yeah price $40 an hour is not a expensive rate most charge a lot more.

Also I'm fully booked out and knocking back up to 6-7 jobs a week at the moment. So if I finish up with the mentioned client I will be able to fill the day's vacant time slot very quickly Some of the ones I'm knocking back could be potential regulars too, who knows.
    But I do know the current job will be a regular client as they water the place around the around of course.

I'm there first decided gardener, should be first dedicated gardener.
    Cheers Garry

TLLG,
    I stay in mobile service, but you can't be seen answering your phone frequently, If there worried about hrly rates and time spent there. Answering your mobile doesn't look good on site.
    I don't like answering my mobile on site at a job, so shorter time jobs make that task easier.
    But the real concern is the husband believing I'm over charging as a contractor when we bring so much gear for non stop use. Thats what eating me and is bugging me enough to leave.
    Packing shelves in a supermarket pays $23, for comparison.
    Cheers Garry

yeah our job is defeantly not the highest paying job i always have my phone in my pocket and always answer it. I dont do many jobs on an hour rate and if i do there usally big jobs and i usally give them the times i was there and take an hour off those times and if they complain i say well there is an hour off for time spent having a smoke and taking the calls i need to take for my business. But thats just me. If i was you i would say the time coming is not charged and there for the time on the phone makes up for that. If they dont want to pay the price explain to them if they get some cowboy with the wrong tools whe will even though hes half the price he will take twice as long.

Very Helpful Member

if your knocking back work go to 2 weekly and try quoting higher on the jobs you would be knocking back at the moment then you could leave with a higher rate of pay

try ringing jims tell them your thinking of hiring someone to do garden work can they give you an idea of how much an hour you could expect to pay if they do then suggest your client does this so they can get a realistic idea of the going rate
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

Packing shelves in a supermarket pays $23, for comparison.

and they get paid breaks when they can make phone calls

Ian & TLLG,

Appreciate your thoughts and what you would do with similar clients.

I will read further responses/input tomorrow as I have another place to do which is big again early tomorrow, but it's for 4 hrs of general gardening and up keep and I can schedule the arvo out for other clients. If not gardening then it's ride on mowing on the grounds.
    Plus it's 500 metres from my home in the street behind me=GREAT and a good client to look after.
    Picture enclosed of the one near me.

Cheers Garry

Ive had similar customers before...this is my lesson

*the fact that they scoffed at your rate they show no respect that you travel so far (they know how far and long you travel), you bust your gazza-azz for them and they cant even show the slightest appreciation for what you are worth. they dont care how much youve done, only your rate. you feel that you are not breaking even but losing out long after you are done with the job. emotionally you feel ripped off and it can spread through out your day.

*do not take ownership of their problem.
    -its not your fault they live so far away.
    -its not your fault they have this massive garden she can't maintain herself.

*do not let them boss you around or save money at your expense. you know yourself you can make better money elsewhere. being your own boss lets you not only decide what money you earn, but at what conditions and treatment you prefer. You mentioned personal freedom right?

*they damn know how hard, how far and difficult to get contractors to come around. i guess you can just be brutally honest and let them know that their property isnt viable for the business to survive and that you are behind before you even start.

*they have a 2 storey grandeur property. they would pay the same amount of money you earn as they would for a skip if needed, yet not complain. (ive had a client complain about my rate but didnt say anything about the cost of this massive 18m3 skip I filled!) I guess these guys still dream of the $5 labourer back in the 30's

Trust me, every contractor goes thru this. We all cant avoid it. I avoid big jobs like the plague and stick with regular jobs that are well established. Ive had too many clients (very nice too) malfunction at the thought of paying big bucks. I never work 'per hour' jobs anymore. Too much heartache and Ive learnt my lesson. I only do "per job" and smash it as fast and as good quality as I can

gazza you probably know it in your heart, but its good you put this up in the forum. we all work alone by ourselves so it gets pretty bad sometimes. this is our way of letting it out in the open and its guys who replied above makes our day easier.

its what makes us better contractors.

it your business gazza your the boss you decided ..
    i was in the same boat last year with a client and the best satisfactiion i got out of it was telling them to **** off , there time slots was filled quickly = no loss
    i found working on these big propertys was more head aches than it was worth so now i rather just work on the standard residential properties as these people or 9 out of 10 of them respect the hard work you put in to there gardens....

Gazza, ask yourself why you want to be in business for yourself??
    Are these the type of people you want to work for??

You have expressed how you felt other times after getting home after a hard days work, feeling buggered but so satisfied with the work you have done and your pay etc etc.

You make the choice mate- you will not have problems gaining clients with your attitude, professionalism and work ethics so sometimes losing a client is the best thing that can happen!

Valued Country Member Shepparton Lawn Care's Avatar

Great post Gazza!. In my opinion (only) you should really go with your gut feeling. If you (dont) feel good in the head about the job the heart will feel the same. Earn good money-feel good in the head feel good in the heart-result-great job. Whilst it is good to be servicing great properties, (as Lindsay Fox once said) a good working relationship has to be beneficial to BOTH parties. From your post it appears as if the relationship is a little one sided......
    It is hard sometimes but you have to realise that you can't be everything to everybody!.
    You have set yourself up professionally, so why compromise everything you have achieved so far because hubby and wife can't agree on what is needed?. Sitck to your business plan. if i can be so bold- I would be charging more like $66.oo including G.S.T. Minimum!!. Remember, every piece of equipment you own is a "consumable". It will all need to be replaced sooner rather than later. You need to have money there for replacement of equipment, running cost, wages, insurance and most importantly PROFIT. Go with your gut!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast