Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Makita Brushcutters

Default Makita Brushcutters

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some info/feedback on the Makita brushies, the RBC2510 in particular. The main reason I'm after this one is to use as a dedicated pole pruner/hedgetrimmer once I get the attachments. At $350.00 for the brushcutter and $328.00 for the attachments thats pretty good value.

I dont know much about the Makita's apart from some info from one of the guys on this site a while back and a guy in a mower shop that I spoke to that didn't like them.

Does anyone know if this particular model has the Robin motor?

Also any other info on their performance, reliability, durability and ability to cope with constant commercial use or any shortcomings they may have would be very helpful.

Thanks,

cap

Default Re: Makita Brushcutters

Will be ok if your off siders name is Mack. Honestly don't know anything about them sorry.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Yep, they're great. I had a 25 cc 4 stroke loop handle but some F---wit stole it. Light, powerful, quiet, reliable, everything you need and at a good price compared to Honda. Robin engines are fantastic. I have a 4 stroke Hand Held blower and it is great. Just remember to change the oil because they only hold 80 mm and it gets black pretty quick.

They're made in Japan ...... enough said I reckon.

Yes can definately recommend. A little biast as I worked for them for 10 years. I have a RBC251 which I have had for ages now and it still runs well. They are so light compared to others on the market and very well priced for a commercial quality brushie. The motors are Robin which are a high quality unit made in Japan. Makita also own Dolmar which is a german chainsaw, brushie, blower etc manufacturer. So some of the Makita branded stuff is actually Dolmar and is of very high quality.
    I have just ordered a Makita back pack blower dont know much about these as yet but will report back once it's seen some action.
    Cheers

Alex

Is that the 4 stroke back pack blower? I looked at them but the air volume and speed is not that great so I decided not to get one. I'm looking at either a shindaiwa or Tanaka blower and they have nearly twice the volume of the Makita 4 stroke.

Yep its the 4 stroke, the speed is 313km from memory and the volume not as much as say a BR600, but with 76cc I'm pretty sure it will go alright. Also still got friends in the industry so the price is right. Will let you know once I've had a play.

Quote Originally Posted by AL73 View Post
    Yes can definately recommend. A little biast as I worked for them for 10 years. I have a RBC251 which I have had for ages now and it still runs well. They are so light compared to others on the market and very well priced for a commercial quality brushie. The motors are Robin which are a high quality unit made in Japan. Makita also own Dolmar which is a german chainsaw, brushie, blower etc manufacturer. So some of the Makita branded stuff is actually Dolmar and is of very high quality.
    I have just ordered a Makita back pack blower dont know much about these as yet but will report back once it's seen some action.
    Cheers

Alex
    Alex, have you ever had any issues with it? spare parts pricing and availability?? I'm after the same model as the one you have, if the RBC 2510 definitely has the 2 stroke robin motor in it then I'm fairly well set on getting it when finances allow me to, they are just so light and so cheap compared to other commercial brushies, almost makes me feel paranoid as to why they are so cheap. Any idea on what other equipment runs the Robin motor? What do they run in their 4 strokes?

gsmow, have you had any dramas with the 4 stroke Makita brushie konking out when you hold it tilted to the side? I had a guy tell me that the Makita 4 strokes, unlike the Honda's, dont work too well when they are being held at different angles.

In answer to your questions cap, price, parts, availability. In theory any tool shop ie total tools, united tools etc can order one in and parts are easily available. If you are in Vic I will point you in the right direction otherwise check makita.com.au for dealers near you or more importantly OPE (outdoor power equipment) dealers near you.
    I have had no issues with mine, the reason they are well priced is probably still due to them trying to gain market share as they only have a small percentage of the Aus OPE market. Interistingly I have noticed they are back in Bunnings again after a number of years absence.
    Now from memory could be wrong but I think you will find the 2 stroke brushies all are robins the 4 stroke stuff is probably Dolmar rebadged as Makita. You can locate Dolmar dealers also as there stuff is good also. Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    Alex

Thanks mate, you've been very helpful.

I'm in NSW, the Sydney Tools website is where I've been checking them out and I'd say they would be one of the bigger dealers here in Sydney.

As far as parts and repairs are concerned, you'd think that any mower shop could do that for you.

I've got 2 2510's - bloody brilliant, start 1st pull every time. One set up as dedicated pole/
    hedger, the other as brushie with alloy 4 way head. Highly recommended. Sydney Tools.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Good to hear, did your standard bump feed heads stuff up or did you replace with alloy head anyway? Mine still have bump feeds and as yet are still going strong.
    I was thinking of using one as a pole pruner also as they are so light.

changed it anyway - its beyond me why pro's persevere with bump/auto feed heads, they're a pita

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I must disagree, I use speed feed heads with 2.4 square lightning core line, I don't use anything else... But that's just me. I find the other type are too time consuming and waste too much string.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    changed it anyway - its beyond me why pro's persevere with bump/auto feed heads, they're a pita

Never had any problems with mine being used on an angle, but I haven't used it as a hedge trimmer to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Alex, have you ever had any issues with it? spare parts pricing and availability?? I'm after the same model as the one you have, if the RBC 2510 definitely has the 2 stroke robin motor in it then I'm fairly well set on getting it when finances allow me to, they are just so light and so cheap compared to other commercial brushies, almost makes me feel paranoid as to why they are so cheap. Any idea on what other equipment runs the Robin motor? What do they run in their 4 strokes?

gsmow, have you had any dramas with the 4 stroke Makita brushie konking out when you hold it tilted to the side? I had a guy tell me that the Makita 4 strokes, unlike the Honda's, dont work too well when they are being held at different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    I must disagree, I use speed feed heads with 2.4 square lightning core line, I don't use anything else... But that's just me. I find the other type are too time consuming and waste too much string.
    x2
    Cheers Dean.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast