Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with rain delays?

Default How do you deal with rain delays?

I am struggling to catch up with rain delays over here in NQ. By the time I get there they are pretty much overgrown and need a second run of the mower to tidy it up. Basically I lose out charging an extra 10-15 bucks for the extra growth and the knock on effect on the other lawns is like a domino effect. i even hate to think what its like catching grass.

Not only that but the boggy ruts and mud lines doesnt make your workmanship any better.

Do you charge them for that extra week or just cop it on the chin.

Default Re: How do you deal with rain delays?

Im talking acreage here...
    I just do the best I can. I have to wait till its dry enough so can be 2-3 maybe even a week of dry weather before can get onto some of my lawns. At the moment its so wet here that I couldnt get my machine up to the trailer. (grassy slope from shed)
    Its always a good idea to do a push and get as many done as you can before the rain gets there if possible. (I failed with this last week as wasnt expecting this much rain.) Even if its a few days early! Its better to get them done early than late, within reason!

In my experience, most customers are understanding but some may wonder where you are when theres a semi tropical cyclone outside! If they cant figure it, ignore them and just keep plodding along!

I'm working seven days a week and finished at 7.30pm tonight. As another 125mm dump is forecast tomorrow onwards. It was dark by the time I cleaned the ride on and two GXV mowers tonight.

Some customers are Ok, but one rang late this arvo and said I've been rain delayed once and the re schedule tomorrow is going to affect me again with rain on the way.
    I had finished a mansion home in the street behind me at 6.00pm
    So at 6.15pm I turned up at her place and 100% completed the front of the property incase of rain tomorrow. Her grass was high as.

But I'm coping it on the chine with quotes done up to 2wks back and when I turn up the grass has gone vertical, but some clients have been kind at payment time.
    Cheers Garry

The nine radar on the net is the first and last thing I look at morning and nite!!

The BOM is my friend too, I reckon that icon on your website is a great idea for that same reason John.

If it's my fault (too busy) or the weathers fault I cop it sweet but if it's the clients fault for putting me off from schedule I charge them an "extra grass height/time surcharge" if it's warranted.

I work it out something like this: Using a $40 job that I allow up to an hour to do ignition off to ignition on. If it takes an hour and a half I'll charge $25 extra or another way based on the same $40 job that I always charge extra $10 to take the clippings and I have to take twice as many clipping but the time is roughly the same I'll double the clippings charge instead and it will add up to $60 on that visit. I think that is a fair expectation the customer has when they decide to fall out of sink from you schedule.

However upon saying that it all depends on how you quoted the work in the first place, review your quotes and see what you can come up with or like what I'm going to do to a few where I didn't quote well, I'm going to submit a revised quote when their anniversary comes up, at least then I feel right about honoring my quote and look forward to a better situation in the future.

Rain delays ? I have never experienced that, actually i lie i remember in '85 i lost a day due to rain,,

Sit or lay on couch

Heaps of rain and I'm loving the break with coffee and toast with strawberry jam on it.
    I've worked non stop since the last rain cloud outburst to the new rain clouds hovering above like many here.

So today, its wack up all the xmas decorations and tree. As I've been nagged by the girls as to why there not up.
    Cheers Garry

Watchin Foxtel

I just charge the same price, but I make sure the next cut is still done on the same day as the previous cut was supposed to be done- If I was supposed to do a fortnightly cut on a Friday, and didn't get there until the Tuesday after, I will return for the next cut on the Friday which would only be 10 days later so it sort of evens out.

With cylinder mowing that is supposed to be done weekly its a pita because I have to double cut and they normally look **** because the mowers cut so short.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I get very fidgety. Wondering what to do. If I'm not working I like to know in advance so I can plan what to do.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

If this rain continues like it has might need a lawnmower with a snorkle attached to it.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

according to the bom it has rained 70 to 94 mm depending on the suburb.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

How to charge is one thing, as delay caused by the rain is not our fault and it's not the customers fault either. I've been trying to think of other industries that are affected by rain but the only thing I can come up with is concreting and building. Then that isn't even a comparison really because it's not like there's a lot more work to be done after rain before the concreting can go ahead again.

How to catch up is the other issue and it really is a case of make hay while the sun shines. Go hard for as long as you can when you can.

Most of my customers have kikuyu lawns and only have me mow every two to three weeks but I am getting them trained to have me back in at least every two now. It's tough though as many are low-income earners and pensioners.

Generally I don't charge more if the lawn is slightly overgrown but where it is really overgrown and I am emptying the catcher every 20 metres I have to explain to them prior that this cut will cost a little more and that I will need to come back sooner before it gets too long again.

Set a maximum height with them that you will cut for a set rate. Anything over that you do at your hourly rate. Make sure you confirm this with them when you start up with them so there are no comebacks. By doing this you make sure your not getting ripped off for your time. I have also set a rate per bag of green waste removed from those customers who have green waste bins and you fill them.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast