Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Pond Algae

Default Pond Algae

Hi all, got a customer with a fairly large shallow cement based pond which is basically covered at the base with algae. Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get rid of the problem? They have fish so im wary of using any type chemical. They do have a water feature that runs into it but do not run it until late in the day and not for long.

I have recommened placing some Water Lillies in small pots to reduce sunlight, and to run the pump longer, however is there a way to remove the current build up?

Cheers

Default Re: Pond Algae

Tell them to go to their local acquarium and purchase 6 fresh water aquatic snails...they'll eat the algae in no time (we have them in our pond for that very reason).

If they don't like that idea the acquarium will have a pond algicide that is safe to use with fish (I think it's called Pond Clear or something similar).

Do they have a pump to circulate the water and keep it moving? You don't get as much algae that way.
    ~ Joanne ~

Yep snails are the way to go and lil buggers will multiply quickly too. Better still find a pond with some in it already and get a few for free
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    Tell them to go to their local acquarium and purchase 6 fresh water aquatic snails...they'll eat the algae in no time (we have them in our pond for that very reason).

If they don't like that idea the acquarium will have a pond algicide that is safe to use with fish (I think it's called Pond Clear or something similar).

Do they have a pump to circulate the water and keep it moving? You don't get as much algae that way.
    Thanks Mrs HMS, the water feature runs off the pond and back into it, I will recommend running it longer during daylight. I did check with an Aquarium store however they advised I should drain it and scrub clean first, which i would definately prefer not to do. I think i'll get her to give the snails and pond clear a shot and we'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yep snails are the way to go and lil buggers will multiply quickly too. Better still find a pond with some in it already and get a few for free
    After Tuesday mate I have a few ponds at my own house that i could probably find some snails in!

Thanks both of you for your help.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Just be careful what species of snail you end up with. There is a particular species of snail in Australian tanks and ponds that breed like flies and are virtually indestructible. A fellow fish breeder from years ago tried boiling them and the gravel they were in. As soon as the gravel was back in the tank, they were crawling up the glass again.