Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotts Lawn Builder

Default Re: Scotts Lawn Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Leon241 View Post
    Where can I buy it (20kg bags) on the Mornington Penninsula? Do farming/agriculture places have it?
    I'd be interested to - Dandenong area??

Very Helpful Member

plantmark list 15kg bags for $66
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker View Post
    Is this Scotts really worth that sort of money?????? I use Shirleys No17 and get excellent results and its $38 for 25kg from bunnings.
    do you need to water in the shirlys no 17 i know scotts you dint but you pay top dollar up here for it. Will chase uup hte other metinoned companys in the morning.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Interesteing....
    Scotts is now called Everris...
    http://www.scottsasiapacific.com/
    They have a new fertiliser aparrently replacing Scotts regular lawn builder . And cheaper too.
    I bought a 25klg bag for $50. off their suppliers.
    Only thing is... You have to water it in...
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Is shirlys no 17 good for growth or just for the colour?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

In my opinion shirleys No. 17 is outstanding for growth and colour. Much better than scotts. But you have to be really careful with it as it really does burn the lawn if it's not well watered, especially if you drop piles of it. It has to be spread out evenly. And you need to water it in with a hand hose to push it down as close to the soil level as possible....a sprinkler won't do it. You also need to keep watering it, or hope it rains, for best effect. Lawns done with shirleys need weekly mowing. I usually mulch the first time a week after using it. I don't use it on clients any more as they generally won't water it then blame me for killing their lawn.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

What about good old pivot 400. We use it on most of our large properties.

So whats the story with pivot 400? Is it fast growing? Apparently, you have to water it in?

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    In my opinion shirleys No. 17 is outstanding for growth and colour. Much better than scotts. But you have to be really careful with it as it really does burn the lawn if it's not well watered, especially if you drop piles of it. It has to be spread out evenly. And you need to water it in with a hand hose to push it down as close to the soil level as possible....a sprinkler won't do it. You also need to keep watering it, or hope it rains, for best effect. Lawns done with shirleys need weekly mowing. I usually mulch the first time a week after using it. I don't use it on clients any more as they generally won't water it then blame me for killing their lawn.
    as fairdinkum said these are 2 good reasons to be careful who you do fertilise lawns for if the client won't pay for weekly mowing all you have really done is make heaps of extra work for yourself plus if you takeaway clippings then you have added to your costs for this lawn and if the client doesn't water you are to blame even if there is then a drought it is obvious to them that it's either your fertilising that has killed the lawn or you haven't done the job correctly or it wouldn't have died off
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

true, i always use the pivot just before good rains or even during. great burst of growth but all my properties are maintained when necessary, weekly 9 - 10 months of the year.

I'll say it again... Earthlife Lawn Blend. More than just a growth booster and quick colour-up like many high nitrogen fertilisers. Improves soil condition, grass health, thickness/lushness etc and as it's a crushed rock-mineral based preparation with some slow release granules you don't have to be fanatical about watering it in.

Sometimes I don't know why we bother advising pepole what to use. So many people have it set in their mind Scotts or Shirley's is the best. Only if you want to pay top dollar and buy the name. Earthlife Lawn Blend, Healthy Earth Lawn blend or Katex Super Grass are probably the best organic fertilsers that DO NOT need watering in. They also have minerals and other stuff to help build a healthy and viable soil and lawn. If your soil is **** then it's usless apply heaps of chemicals. You need to add organics to the soil to help the turf grow strong.

+1

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Sometimes I don't know why we bother advising pepole what to use. So many people have it set in their mind Scotts or Shirley's is the best. Only if you want to pay top dollar and buy the name. Earthlife Lawn Blend, Healthy Earth Lawn blend or Katex Super Grass are probably the best organic fertilsers that DO NOT need watering in. They also have minerals and other stuff to help build a healthy and viable soil and lawn. If your soil is **** then it's usless apply heaps of chemicals. You need to add organics to the soil to help the turf grow strong.
    Spot on!

14 14 14

This earthlife sounds great but cant get it in Sydney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast